Newbie Needs Help - Shopping List for SIG Kadet Senior - RC Groups
Sep 23, 2017, 04:36 PM
Discussion

Newbie Needs Help - Shopping List for SIG Kadet Senior

I have wanted to get into RC flight for years. I lived near a field but moved before I got involved. I have a simulators software from Phoenix and after a few visits to a local field I am getting the bug again. My pocket book is better this time around too. LOL.

I plan to put in lots of time on the simulator over the winter and buy a plane next spring. I have a lot to learn.

I like the SIG Kadet Senior Sport. The Senorita may be a better choice but I am drawn to the the Senior for some reason. I'm not really interested in electric.

The local club has a trainer who will help with flying, but I am on my own to select a plane, controller, etc.

Where can I learn how to properly set up a SIG Kadet Senior Sport for fuel? Suggestions?

I don't want to buy twice because I am a newbie. I prefer to learn not to make those mistakes if I can.
Last edited by thebbqguy; Sep 23, 2017 at 06:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 24, 2017, 08:51 AM
ARFs Are Me
The Kadet Sport should come with all the required hardware, so you're good there.

I had a .91 4 stroke in mine, but it was more power than necessary. Something in the .55, 4 stroke, category would be perfect.

Standard, 40 ounce servos should be fine, but I used Hitec 645s in mine. My current Kadet Sport is electric, using the same servos. You'll need some servo extensions for the ailerons, etc.

The kit's instructions should tell you what is required. They also provide you with step by step instructions for setting up your model for fuel

The instructions do not mention the need for adding down thrust. I suggest that you add two washers, per side, on the top holes for the motor mount. This will make your engine point downward. Failing to do so will result in a model that gains significant altitude under power..

I like Hitec transmitters and receivers. The manuals are easy to read and understand.

The model, itself, is a tail dragger. In my opinion, it is still suitable to use as a trainer.

Were you at the Flying Pilgrims Fall Phase out, last weekend ? On Friday, I saw a Kadet Sport being flown by several members.

Enjoy your Kadet !
Last edited by TomCrump; Sep 24, 2017 at 09:02 AM.
Sep 24, 2017, 10:29 AM

Kadet

I was there on Saturday almost all day
Sep 24, 2017, 04:22 PM
AMA Member
I've got two Kadets, an 80" ARF that I also converted to a tail dragger and recovered. It's got a Saito 4 stroke 72 great flyer, also Kadet LT -40 with a older Super Tiger 45.
So Tom is right about the 4 stroke Saito 56 would work perfect. I also like His choice of servos. And you can see on the purple and white Kadet it has some down thrust. Monty
Sep 24, 2017, 04:55 PM
fix-n-fly
If you are working with the club trainer, ask him for recommendations. He should be able to help. If he declines, some suggestions are shown below:

Looking at the Sig Kadet Senior E/G on the Sig website (www.sigmfg.com) - it suggests this for engine:

2-Stroke .40 - .53 cu. in. (6.5 - 8.7 cc)
4-Stroke .50 - .61 cu. in. (8.1 - 10 cc)

I had the first run of the Sig Kadet ARF back in the early 2000s. It flew great with a Thunder Tiger Pro .46. Unfortunately, you can't find Thunder Tiger anymore. I'd suggest this for an engine - O.S. 46AXII ABL .46 Airplane Glow Engine w/Muffler. Google this engine and you'll find several places who sell it. OS Max has been making glow engines for years and this will be easy to break in and easy to tune and I'll bet others at your club will have experience with OS Max.

Next - you will need some fuel. Generally OS Max runs well on 10% nitro fuel. Depending on how often you fly, you may want a quart or a gallon. Check with others that fly glow at your field and see what they are using and where they get it from.

You will also need a Transmitter, Receiver, Servos and servo extensions for your plane. The two prominent brands are Spektrum and Futaba, although there are others. Again, do some leg work and see what those at your field are using. If you think you will be in the hobby for a while, consider getting a computer TX (I have a Spektrum DX-6) that will allow you to fly several planes from the same transmitter. Futaba and others have 6 channel Transmitters. You will need a 6 channel receiver and you should probably get a receiver that is the same brand as the transmitter, especially if you are flying 2.4 GHz Transmitters. You'll also need a 4.8 v or 6 v nickel metal hydride battery to supply power for your servos and receiver. Ask for help here too.

I like Hitec Servos and something like this should work well in your plane - Hitec HS-422 Standard Deluxe Servo. Note that Hitec servos will work with whatever brand of receiver you pick.

You'll need some items to start the plane - at a minimum - glow plug ignitor and charger, and chicken stick. You'll also need some glow plugs (I like OS Max #3 or #8, but there are others). In the future you may want to consider an electric starter and 12v battery, but it is not a must have when starting out.

This should get you started. The Kadet is a great plane to learn on and I suspect thousands (me being one of them) have learned to fly on this plane. The ARF version will still take you some time to put together. One more thing you may need is a covering iron, as I will bet Sig will suggest you reseal the covering before trying to fly.

For what it's worth - there is an alternative you may consider - Apprentice S 15e RTF W/DXE. This is a styrofoam plane (59" wing) with everything (radio included) you need to fly for $280.00. The wingspan is not 78" like the Kadet, but it has something the Kadet does not have, which is the SAFE system. The SAFE system will virtually take off and land the plane and correct bad decisions if you give it enough room between it and the ground. I still have an Apprentice as I like the lack of maintenance required (no covering to iron down and assembly is only about 1 hour) . I started with glow and flew glow RC for 30 years but wish that a plane like the Apprentice would have been available when I was starting to fly.

Good Luck.
Sep 24, 2017, 10:18 PM
Great suggestions. Thanks everyone. It's a lot to absorb for me since it's new.
Sep 25, 2017, 07:00 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebbqguy
Great suggestions. Thanks everyone. It's a lot to absorb for me since it's new.
Feel free to ask more questions, as they come up. We'll try to assist you, when you need it.

I enjoyed your club's flyin. The members that I met accepted me as one of their own.
Sep 25, 2017, 01:37 PM

Club

I do too. I especially love the jets.
Sep 29, 2017, 08:47 PM
I really can't add much to what has been said already. Except that for a brand new pilot I would recommend the LT-40 shown in the post above over the Senior. And I like the Senior and Seniorita Kadets. I have a Seniorita kit in my attic right now. And I have owned 3 in the past and one Senior. Great models.

The sole reason for the different recommendation is because no matter how much help you get someday you going to have a bad landing, get disoriented or make some other mistake and bang your model. The solid fuselage of the LT will take those kind of knocks better than the stick built Senior. A hard landing can pop the glue joints in the Senior and you may not even know it until you have an in air failure. The LT-40 will be much easier to repair too. Maybe save the pretty Senior for a second plane?

But good luck with whatever you decide on. You are about to enter a very interesting sport. I hope your pocket book is as fat as you say it is.
Sep 29, 2017, 08:51 PM
Lol
Sep 29, 2017, 09:06 PM
Don't laugh. This hobby has the potential to get real expensive real fast. The sky is the limit they say. And its easy to get sky high if you want. But with a little shopping you can save a bunch too. Ask at your club about guys wanting to sell used radios. Lots of folks upgrade and sell good stuff cheap compared to new. All of my radios are used except one I bought new. All my radios are 72 MHZ. Not a thing wrong with that either. And I paid $50 for the most expensive used one. A JR 8103 that was new in the box with two receivers and 7 servos. Two of those were digital too. Yes it needed batteries. Big deal. Its as good now as when it was a cutting edge radio. I have seen a couple of guys leaving the field with their models in bags because their 2.4 radios lost their bind with the receiver.

I do this on the cheap. But I have been in RC three times now and know what I want and what I like. All I can say is enjoy the ride.
Oct 01, 2017, 08:21 PM
I was at a field today watching and checking out a Radian sailplane. The guy was flying aerobatics. He actually suggested a foam electric as a better entry point.

It was an interesting perspective. He suggested the E-Flite Apprentice S 15e RTF.

I checked it out and it's pretty cool.
Oct 02, 2017, 08:32 AM
ARFs Are Me
I feel that is poor advice. You won't learn much with an Apprentice. After awhile the stabilization system can hold the new pilot back, by developing a dependence on it.

I strongly suggest that you stick with the idea of purchasing a glow trainer, and actually learn how to fly.
Oct 02, 2017, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebbqguy
I was at a field today watching and checking out a Radian sailplane. The guy was flying aerobatics. He actually suggested a foam electric as a better entry point.

It was an interesting perspective. He suggested the E-Flite Apprentice S 15e RTF.

I checked it out and it's pretty cool.
the bbguy,

Well...... you are posting in the "fueled" planes category and initially said "engine"; if you are open to electric, there are more planes to consider PLUS a pretty different set of accessories/plane support system.

If you have a club trainer to work with and particularly if you get a trainer cord compatible with the trainer's transmitter, I think the Kadet series models have a good chance of surviving initial training flights and dealing with the "complexity" of a fourth control input, the ailerons.

Personally, I like starting off with rudder/elevator/throttle, high wing planes with a fair among of dihedral - inherent stability and reasonable turning with rudder only.

Engine (fuel) or motor is your choice...... typically foamies use electric motors and if you go that way something like a three channel Radian is a favorite if you don't want to deal with the controversy around electronically stabilized trainers like the Apprentice. (You could strap an .049 Cox engine into an above the wing power pod of foamie glider otherwise designed for an electric motor, but probably don't want to deal to modifying kits/ARF models on entering the hobby.)

Have you asked your (potential) club trainer for a plane recommendation?
If your trainer is fine with the Apprentice and you are diligent in transitioning out of dependence on the "beginner" electronic flight mode so you no longer rely on it as a crutch - and you want to start off on the electric side - that could be a way to go - and sell the plane to another novice for two thirds of what you paid for it sooner rather than later - smiley)

Lots of choices; if you feel that you are determined to continue with this hobby, eventually you will very likely step foot into both fuel and electric areas.

good luck,

Michael in Ontario, Canada
Last edited by 2michaely; Oct 02, 2017 at 03:14 PM.
Oct 02, 2017, 04:36 PM
Tom and Michael,

Thanks for the input. I would really prefer a gas powered plane, but some local feedback at two different club's keeps pointing back to electric.

I just need to find a trainer, explain what I envision and go from there. I think part of the issue is there are just too many choices, which makes it tough for beginners. I was set on a Sig Kadet Senior, but some points have been raised that casted some doubt.

As for hard landings...I watched an experienced aerobatic pilot obliterate a small Cessna scale plane a couple weeks ago when a propeller blade sheared off when landing. He never quite recovered from it and the plane was splintered. It was a nice reality check actually. "Stuff" is going to happen sometimes.

When I think RC plane, a gas powered plane comes to mind, but I think I do see why some prefer electric.