This thread is privately moderated by farquward, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 23, 2017, 12:53 PM
Today is a good day to fly
Thread OP
Cool

450 class AS 350 B

My Blade 450 X needed a suitable fuselage to join the fleet of scale birds in the hanger. Knowing that the tail boom would have to be straight, I decided on the AS 350 B from RC Aerodyne. Not a whole lot of selection these days, here in the states anyway. Preferring the fiberglass over other materials also cuts my options. With an MD 500 E & a UH-1 C already in the fleet, the AS 350 B seems the obvious choice. The only available paint is a News 9, a red and blue color scheme. It's bright with a nice clear coat, too bad the graphics aren't under that, but a good thing too as I can repaint if I chose to. Which of course is a consideration. Leaning heavily that way in fact. After all, what's the point of having the same thing as everyone else?
This shell is nicely detailed, with the hatches for engine access and so on already relieved. Adding rivets, of course. Below are a couple choices I'm considering for paint. Besides the windows, LG and horizontal fins it comes with a nice detail kit with antennas, handles and a nice set of News 9 KRTX Sky News graphics.
It needs a three blade main rotor, no? Picked up one, minor problem in the swash plate. It's built to have the elevator control rod attached to the rear, where the anti-rotation bar and bracket are while the X has the elevator control up front, the AR behind. I have a plan. I have an extra Align 450 swash on hand to cut off the AR arm, far in enough to have some material to file into a square shape. Then I'll mark and file a slot for that to fit into the X swash, drill and tap for a machine screw and finally using J B Weld and glue and bolt together, adding the AR pin to the back of the 3 blade swash. Looks good on paper....
11/5/2017. Change of plans. Thru a horse trade, there is a Tarot 450 headed my way so that will be the air frame for this one. Preliminary reports indicate this will have the Ikon 2 for FBL duties, E Flight motor, HW ESC and Spektrum servos/sat. Rx. Also this one is next after the UH-1, a good learning platform for the 500, no? A perfect way to learn the nuisances of the 3 blade head and handling characteristics of same. It will also help refine fuselage detailing.
11/15/2017. Change of plan, going with an Alzrc 450 FBL V2 air frame, same electronics. I may leave it as a TT, but the first time the gears strip, it's going belt drive tail.
2/5/2018. We've been watching a program called "Everest Rescue" in which the AS 350 B is used. Some interesting paint schemes. As I've yet to decide just what to do with this one I may go with one of the fancier ones I've seen. No hurry for this one, the 450/JR is getting all of my attention right now.
Last edited by farquward; Feb 05, 2018 at 12:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply