Nov 26, 2018, 09:59 PM
3 Blades is Better Than 2!
I am not ready to build mine yet, so I have to wait a little while. The recommended prop in the instructions has a 12 inch diameter, so I will have to play around with some different props

Kman
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2018, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
I am not ready to build mine yet, so I have to wait a little while. The recommended prop in the instructions has a 12 inch diameter, so I will have to play around with some different props

Kman
Does anyone here know what really is the approximate flying weight of this . Just can't believe its 6.6 pounds as published.
Dec 05, 2018, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervouswreck View Post
Does anyone here know what really is the approximate flying weight of this . Just can't believe its 6.6 pounds as published.
The Phoenix Model Tiger Moth (same size) is advertised a weighing closer to 7 lbs. I am betting that it isn't too far off.

Kman
Dec 05, 2018, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
The Phoenix Model Tiger Moth (same size) is advertised a weighing closer to 7 lbs. I am betting that it isn't too far off.

Kman
Thanks. Hobby King or VQ says the Tiger Moth weighs 3000gr ( 6.61 pounds) and the VQ DO-27 weighs 1300 gr (2.87 pounds). My VQ Dorriner 27
weighs 7 pounds on my postage scale. So it appears their numbers can't be trusted on this. Hence my confusion. Maybe I'm reading things wrong.

Thanks again...…………..https://hobbyking.com/en_us/dornier-...y-version.html
Dec 05, 2018, 11:54 PM
Yeah, I see lots of specs on all kinds of stuff these days that are either a mistake or they are misleading. Just have to do some due diligence to make sure they are correct or not

Kman
Jan 04, 2019, 03:34 AM
Hi Guys, I just finished building one last night, and happened to come across this thread.
Some information (and pictures) for those interested:

With an OS 62V up front, 160grams of Lead on the firewall, and a 2600 LiIo receiver pac on the firewall, it is still a little tail heavy and has an all up weight of 3316g (7.31 pounds). The firewall is quite far back, clearly this plane was designed for a Nitro 4-stroke.

I had originally planned to make this electric, but with the firewall configured the way it is 600 g of lead would be required in the nose to balance. Without cutting out the firewall and building a motor box (i considered doing this) you can't get your batteries far enough forward to balance. And its not just a little off, it is pounds off. This was a bit much for my taste LOL... So I grabbed a used 62V (486g) and went that route. I have no doubt that it will fly just fine on electric power, but it will be heavier without a mojor re-work.

The tank that came with the kit leaked at the seams so I replaced it with a 300cc Kavan. Otherwise, I used all the hardware that came with it, and only substitued lock nuts on the interplane struts, where plain nuts had been included.

Heres some pictures for reference:
Last edited by Dave in CH; Jan 04, 2019 at 04:35 AM. Reason: fixed funny wording
Jan 04, 2019, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the report Dave! Looks like yours turned out well despite the tail heavy challenges We may have to get creative with the electric setup to help minimize extra weight behind the CG point.

Kman
Jan 04, 2019, 02:47 PM
well guys, looks like I am late in and early out of this thread...

do pay attention to the CG. mine was a bit rearward, but was fine for my tastes. but there was a bigger problem...

It tracked down the runway perfectly, lifted off quickly, and I could tell that with my CG (hanging it from the rearward hole in the center section it was still tail heavy, something past 112 mm) it would need some down trim, perhaps just some down thrust. but at full throttle the 62v spinning a 13x6 was much more than scale power, and actually quite nicely comfortable.

Quickly I found out that my Aileron travel was reversed.
I did the normal pre-flight checks, noticed my rudder was reversed, fixed that, but didnt notice the ailerons were reversed. DOH!

I managed to keep it in the air about 4 minutes. Tried everything, rudder only (severe coupling made coordination neigh impossible), tried getting it way up high and then going into the radio programming to reverse (not enough time), and then became resigned to getting it down in a safe place.

Humbling experience given it was 100% my fault.

god speed, gents.
Last edited by Dave in CH; Jan 04, 2019 at 02:50 PM. Reason: clarity
Jan 04, 2019, 03:12 PM
Yikes! Sorry to see/hear that. Unfortunately it has happened to many of us. Damages dont look like it is a complete loss. Take a week break and then assess the damages. With a clear mind you can usually make sense of the repairs needed and piece it back together and have it up in the air again.

Kman
Jan 10, 2019, 11:46 AM

Cg

The CoG of the real Moth is at the trailing edge of the fuel tank in the upper wing. That has been verified by other modellers in this and other forums. The CoG given in the manual is way too forward/conservative. With a 3300 mah 4s Lipo just behind the firewall the CoG of my VQ Moth was between the manual recommendation and what the large scale has. A good starting point.
Jan 10, 2019, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHH View Post
The CoG of the real Moth is at the trailing edge of the fuel tank in the upper wing. That has been verified by other modellers in this and other forums. The CoG given in the manual is way too forward/conservative. With a 3300 mah 4s Lipo just behind the firewall the CoG of my VQ Moth was between the manual recommendation and what the large scale has. A good starting point.
I was told once that the typical CG for any two seater bipe is in the front seat where the student typically sits. That way the CG of the plane isn't affected whether the student is sitting in the plane or not.

Kman
Jan 11, 2019, 12:17 PM

Cg

Yes, the 2nd (forward) seat is just below that trailing edge. So no change in CG when 2 People do fly in the Moth.
Mar 05, 2019, 08:21 AM

Re elec power

Hi
Hi has anyone succeeded in flying this model with electric power?
I am particularly interested in the use of the hobbyking 42 48 motor.
Would appreciate any thoughts.

Steve
Mar 30, 2019, 07:49 AM
Just about to pull the trigger and order this one. I really like the Cameo version from VQ. However, the total cost including shipping will be $297! I priced the yellow and silver version from Hobby King and surprisingly found FREE FedEx shipping, so their cost would be $164.65! That is a difference of over $100. I don't know if I like the Cameo version that much.
-Vic

UPDATE: I logged back in to go ahead with the purchase from Hobby King and found a BIG surprise. Not only was the model out of stock, but there was also a $100 estimated shipping charge from the INTERNATIONAL WAREHOUSE. They are in stock with free shipping from the USA Warehouse. Ordered mine before they sell out.
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Mar 31, 2019 at 06:04 PM.
Mar 30, 2019, 08:58 AM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic View Post
Just about to pull the trigger and order this one. I really like the Cameo version from VQ. However, the total cost including shipping will be $297! I priced the yellow and silver version from Hobby King and surprisingly found FREE FedEx shipping, so their cost would be $169! That is a difference of over $100. I don't know if I like the Cameo version that much.
-Vic
I was contemplating the VQ camo TM as well. But I hadn't priced in shipping yet. The HK version is looking better and better. Thanks for the heads up!
Mark

Quick Reply