Jan 12, 2020, 07:57 AM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
Thanks, Paul. Quite the significant effort.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2020, 04:08 PM
Beautiful day for flying! Maiden was good. Very happy with how she flys
Jan 12, 2020, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinfrance
I have been down with 'Man Flu' but I have managed to repaint the yellow ( Tamiya )
the Earth / Green, polyurethane 2 pack matt car paint, and the roundels with Humbrol,,
a sneak peak of the fuselage,,

Wings are painted,, give me a shout if you want to see them,,
Looks really nice Paul, lotsa work!

Yeah, I want to see all the painting you did.

Is that a flower head on the Cowl? LOL....
Jan 13, 2020, 03:19 AM
Living in the south of France
Yes an English Rose,,, and another here,,

Painted and waiting for my 20mm letters and OS .40FS, 200 grams lighter than my Open rocker,,

Yellow Tamiya XF -3
Dark Earth RAL 0754020, if not, RAL 8008
Dark Green RAL 6003
Last edited by paulinfrance; Jan 24, 2020 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Colour Ref RAL
Jan 13, 2020, 11:21 AM
Looks great.....
You think the 40 will be enough? I think it will fly it but it may be under powered some! 200 grams is nothing for a bipe to carry around.
Jan 13, 2020, 12:11 PM
I built one around 30 years ago from an English kit it was bigger and it flew on an OS .40 FS,
I later put an old Saito .45 in it, and it went ballistic,,

I thought it was a Flair one but I can't find it anywhere, photos or anything on it, I think it was around 60" span.
Jan 19, 2020, 05:27 AM
I received my OS .40Fs, from e-boot, nice and clean with plenty of compression, a big thank you to the seller,,,

It's in with the help of an unused plastic engine mount was re-drilled from a 20cc seagull kit as the engine is much narrower .
I put the fuel tank in although it is a bit big for a .40 4 stroke and now the fuselage top won't fit so it needs some trimming where the tank
is.

Ps a quick 'whinge', 6 days for an Engine to go from England to France in a box, Lettering for my British registration from France to France in an envelope, 8 days and still nothing,,
Last edited by paulinfrance; Jan 19, 2020 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Winge
Jan 21, 2020, 02:34 PM
Rubbish !, it won't run, the timing is out, now done it is throwing it's props, maybe it's missing a head gasket,,
Jan 21, 2020, 05:07 PM
Correct the timing, Check valve clearance, make sure bearings are good, tappets free, push rods straight AND push rods inside their pockets, open needle 3-4 turns, use small prop for now...DO NOT use a starter, back flip it after priming.
Jan 22, 2020, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ehab
Correct the timing, Check valve clearance, make sure bearings are good, tappets free, push rods straight AND push rods inside their pockets, open needle 3-4 turns, use small prop for now...DO NOT use a starter, back flip it after priming.
Yes Thanks, all that has been tried, 'But',,
As I have 'working' on this engine it has obviously been stripped and rebuilt,
normally pre-ignition as you say can be too lean, or over heating. here's what I wrote in another post,,

The outside of the engine was really clean like it had been sandblasted, the bearings on the camshaft had a blob of grease on them and the cover didn't have a paper joint on it, the inlet valve didn't have any clearance, leaving me to believe that it was stripped and badly put together, throwing props make it sound as if there is too much compression 'pre-ignition' can cause that, as well as too leaner mix and overheating.
I will be taking the head off this morning, so 'watch this space',,,
bye Paul.
Jan 22, 2020, 08:53 AM
I took the head off the gasket ( 0.20mm ) wasn't in properly and it looks like the engine has never been run, I put a thicker one in at 0.3mm it did run much better, but still kicking props, The seller has offered to refund me it's going back.

I fitted my OS .60 Open rocker in and ran it, my faith in OS is back online, even though the plane will be very overpowered,,
and like me over weight
Jan 22, 2020, 02:05 PM
OS open rocker would look great right side up, but hey, what ever works and flies the plane is all that matters!
Last edited by Sam Ehab; Jan 22, 2020 at 02:39 PM.
Jan 22, 2020, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ehab
OS open rocker would look great right side up, but hey, what ever works and fly the plane is all that matters!
Yes I looked for an 'old timer' on a few sites and on the 'outerzone' plan site, but most are for .40's,,
Jan 22, 2020, 02:41 PM
I think the oil will drain from the top of the rockers being inverted, so I would, just me, drop a few drops of oil on the rockers and the push rods every now and then.
Jan 22, 2020, 03:02 PM
When I was flying glow motor planes, the sound of a four stroke motor was just awesome. However, I got tired of cleaning up the planes and the starting/running issues and switched to ALL electrics. I have never regretted that move as I now enjoy the "clean" and trouble free characteristics of electric power.

The sound, or lack there of, for electric planes is a draw back especially for old models like the Tiger Moth and Waco planes. So, I purchased a "Mr Sound" RC Sound System several years ago for a Waco. I move the main sound board to several planes with "speakers" that stay in the planes. I use the sound system my Tiger Moth. I have had numerous compliments at the field on how good it sounds. It does not sound as good as a four stroke engine but the "Merlin Engine" option sounds really great in the Tiger Moth. Just my two-cent comment on the troubles encountered with glow motors.

-Vic

Quick Reply