Speed lights - RC Groups
Sep 22, 2017, 12:54 PM
Discussion

Speed lights

Known to have been mounted on US icebreakers during WW 2, they were mounted on the aft superstructure, facing aft. How were they used? What color/s were they? Were they of constant illumination, or a patterned flash? Any information is more that I have now and is appreciated.
Thank You
Jonathan
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2017, 06:47 PM
Found the answer to my question. No replies needed. Thank You
Sep 22, 2017, 09:43 PM
KC8WPF
Why not share the answer? Other inquiring minds want to know.
Sep 23, 2017, 07:14 AM
Well, I use not going to share , but seeing as you asked nicely Bob AND because the answer came from USCG Museum NW, here it is, from the 1917 edition of the Blue Jackets Manual:
Sep 23, 2017, 05:07 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Interesting, as I had never heard of "speed lights" till you asked about them.

Sep 23, 2017, 08:46 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Another day. Another new piece on knowledge learned. Thanks.
Sep 23, 2017, 10:46 PM
KC8WPF
Thank you, Jeno.
Sep 25, 2017, 09:27 AM
Boats on the brain!!
News to me. Thanks for sharing.
Sep 25, 2017, 11:06 AM
the 1890's had a system of four red and white fresnel lanterns in a line from the forward mast. this set up was connected to a many levered switch box and later on a keyboard.. added to this was code wheel like a large version of a green hornets code ring..
Sep 25, 2017, 11:56 AM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tghsmith
the 1890's had a system of four red and white fresnel lanterns in a line from the forward mast. this set up was connected to a many levered switch box and later on a keyboard.. added to this was code wheel like a large version of a green hornets code ring..

Those, I have seen before. I did NOT know of the rear-facing lights on ice breakers though.
Nov 06, 2017, 11:12 PM
KC8WPF
I was looking through a 1944 edition of THE BLUEJACKETS' MANUAL tonight and found some more info on speed lights. During daylight hours, Speed-Cones were hoisted at various heights on the yardarms. Cone points up - ahead speed; cone points down - astern speed. From the diagrams, Ahead Full Speed also requires a pennant hanging vertically from the two inboard halyards.
Nov 07, 2017, 07:00 AM
Good find, and thanks for sharing it. It is amazing the amount of information that is out there, when one knows where to look.
Nov 07, 2017, 06:29 PM
Webmaster, MMCNE
When I sailed on CGC Reliance in the early 80s, we had the Navy Infrared signalling lights on the mast. (The technology dates back to WW2.) It basically allows you to send flashing light signals using a light spectrum invisible to the naked eye.
Might have been useful in WW2, when you didn't want to give away a position at nght by sending the normal flashing light signals.....

We never used them-- it wasn't like you could turn them on to see if the bulb was working! I suppose the Quartermasters had an old Navy IR telescope, which was used to allow you to see the signals.....
Nov 08, 2017, 07:33 AM
That system did go back to WW 2. I believe the Japanese had it in use before the USN even did. And you are right, kinda' hard to see in daylight. So Bill, did you use speed cones? A few might look good on Eastwind.
Jonathan
Nov 08, 2017, 09:26 AM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Never used them- we always steamed alone. I’m pretty sure they are obsolete- those US-only tactical signals have been replaced by a standard NATO signalling book. Today, those cones would look like the one used in the ‘72 COLREGS (a global standard) indicate you are motor-sailing....