Enviortex Dicussion - RC Groups
Sep 22, 2017, 08:00 AM
Discussion

Enviortex Dicussion

Many years ago Dan Parson, he has since passed, sold light fiberglass cloth. He also experimented with several types of resins for his cloth on his airplanes. I have a copy of his instructions and he indicated that he found the best type of resin for him was a product called Envirotex 2 part epoxy resin. I have tried it and found it to be a great product for installing glass over a wood structure. following his instructions it comes our light and finishes very well.
I am in the process of restoring a Dumas Barrel Back boat which I acquired. the original builder simply painted the boat and did not install any glass so it leaks. I am going to use glass and Envirotex on the boat just like on my airplanes.
Looking through the forums I don't seem to find anyone else using this method of glassing.
Please share your comments / issues if any.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2017, 08:38 AM
ARFs Are Me
I used Envirotex........................once.

It's made for use on counter tops, etc, and, hence, it produces a hard surface. This hard surface is extremely hard to sand.

In my opinion, there are better products to use, such as epoxy finishing resin.
Sep 22, 2017, 01:13 PM
I like Bob Smith Industries finishing resin. It sands well and seems to be pretty light.

carl
Sep 22, 2017, 02:26 PM
Tom,
I have used it for a few years and found if I follow Dan's instructions sanding is not an issue and yes it does produce a hard surface but thanks for your review.

Carl,
I will take a look at Bob Smiths resin. Had not thought about it. Thanks for the information.
Sep 29, 2017, 11:17 PM
Scott
As a general rule I warn people against using West systems resin as it is not a laminating resin. In your case I will recommend it as it was designed for exactly what you require. West 105 resin was originally formulated by 3M for the purpose of applying fiberglass cloth to wooden boat hulls. Granted, it was actually designed for full scale boats, but I think it will work fine in your case as well. What sets it apart from true laminating resin is that it is designed to remain flexible when fully cured so the boat hulls don't fracture in use. This makes the resin difficult to sand as well, since it rolls up into little balls when sanded. This is a one coat, one shot deal, but it works well.

Scott