Sep 29, 2017, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword
I have never worried about keeping up with the Jones, or anyone else. I buy what I like based solely on what I like, and no one's else's opinion of it. I would gladly spend $249 for the plane with the improved oleos/trailing link LG. But I won't buy a separate set at $43 and then throw away a perfectly good set of LG that I basically paid $20-$25 for. If they would sell the basic airframe PNP w/out any LG and then let us tack on either the stock wire LG or an improved oleo/trailing link set, they would sell like hot cakes. Either that or give us a version with the improved LG up front as an option, rather than have us spend an extra $20-$25, just to throw it away. I hate waste with a passion, and will vote with my hobby dollars elsewhere if this is the best they can do. I'll gladly spend the money on what I want, but with nothing more than I want, and nothing less.
Don
Ditto!!! I hate being forced into buying things that should have come with it in the first place. Its one of the reasons I hate buying video games for my kids. You have to buy all the dlc crap.
Tone
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2017, 09:20 AM
Augermeister
I like having the option on the LG. Been flying my Yak-130 off grass with the chicken legs for over a year now. Gear up she looks great. Have the upgraded struts on the V2 70mm F-16. Doesn't really much for me. Function over form.
Sep 30, 2017, 11:30 AM
Comin' in HOT!
The thing is, they are at least giving options. The 70mm size is more of a "entry" level size. Not saying experienced pilots won't want and fly them. But, definitely geared towards lower price point and simplicity. So the option to have "real" gear is great IMO since they are trying to keep it as low cost as possible.

Just remember that this another HUGE step in the 70mm size considering where we were years ago with the first F35 and F16.

And PS Motion: THANK YOU for including LEDs. Now please make LED navigation a standard. 70mm, 80mm, 90mm, all sizes. I"m a bit disappointed to spend $300+ on a 80mm and not have LED's. But a $229 70mm does... or a $159 cessna lol. It's worth the extra $10-15 all day long.
Sep 30, 2017, 12:50 PM
When MotionRC's name is on the box label, that's when they get the final say on what's in the plane, such as lights, etc.

Motion does have influence with them regarding feedback and suggestions, but that's about it. Let's not pressure the wrong people for things that are largely out of their hands.
Latest blog entry: Digital LED Voltmeter
Sep 30, 2017, 02:42 PM
killickb
Poor Motion because I think led lights are a total waste of time, money and weight ! Would love for them to be an option. At the time of day that I fly I can never see any of the lights on my models, not even the strobe types. As for those A/B strips I put them on my Avanti and other than the taxi out cannot see them either. Now those on those big turbine F-104's they are something else!
Sep 30, 2017, 05:19 PM
I wish FW would release an 80mm F18 YF22 and an F4 now that would be good, oh and with the room, I have in the 14 and 10 for 6200mah batteries getting 7min flights is nice.
Sep 30, 2017, 09:46 PM
Comin' in HOT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb
Poor Motion because I think led lights are a total waste of time, money and weight ! Would love for them to be an option. At the time of day that I fly I can never see any of the lights on my models, not even the strobe types. As for those A/B strips I put them on my Avanti and other than the taxi out cannot see them either. Now those on those big turbine F-104's they are something else!
I'm sure for the pilots that have the option to fly in the middle of the day, LED's are not a big deal. I fly a lot in the evenings, so they allow me to fly longer with them, then without them. But the main point is, if they can be standard on a $159 cessna, the cost can't be to significant. And if the 70mm's can have them, then the 80mm's should too thats all.
Oct 01, 2017, 03:27 PM
Blue Skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford
I'm sure for the pilots that have the option to fly in the middle of the day, LED's are not a big deal. I fly a lot in the evenings, so they allow me to fly longer with them, then without them. But the main point is, if they can be standard on a $159 cessna, the cost can't be to significant. And if the 70mm's can have them, then the 80mm's should too thats all.
+1. I fly middle of the day but I still like the lights. I'm not going for a totally scale bird but the more features that are scale, the more I like 'em.
Don
Oct 03, 2017, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmanb
I agree. All good. Kinda lame but it's about $$$*after all. It's just variety and competition We now can guess freewing will come out with a 80 f18 since fms has the 70. I will bet on it lol. And freewing please just put on the good struts!!! Don't make us spend $40 to throw away the silly gear Every time. Just up the price to $ 249 and EVERYONE will be happier and most importantly still buy. It's just a better way to do it.
Even more, the oleo struts are out of stock! Even if I was willing to spend the transport, VAT and customs and order this nice plane via MRC, I couldn't get the oleos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellHathNoFury
Not directed at you.. Just a tongue in cheek comment.... As I stated Freewing introduced a base model .. Not everyone will want the optional strut so it's great that it's offered.. Freewing should do that with all models offering optional Struts for Grass & Tarmac fliers..
Which one of the LG options are recommended for grass fields?
Oct 03, 2017, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by piano0412
Which one of the LG options are recommended for grass fields?
There is only one option & it's the one that is suited for grass field..
Oct 03, 2017, 02:54 PM
Blue Skies
Any LG with shock-absorbing qualities will be better for paved or grass runways than the stock wire struts on this bird. So my decision boils down to which jet to buy. If I buy this FW Hawk, I will have to ante up the $43 for the upgrade shocks. I won't buy FMS until they change their ridiculous marketing scheme of forcing us to buy a pair of retracts on birds in this weight class. You cannot buy just a left or right retract from FMS for their 1.2M to 1.4M birds. So the FMS Hawk is out of the running for me. So I'm leaning more and more towards the FW A-4 Skyhawk. It's almost as much as the FMS Hawk, but if I only need a right or left set of LG, FW offers them. It doesn't make any difference for most of the birds but it does on the ones that rotate like the P-40 or A-4. You can't interchange them and use the other one as a spare.
Don
Oct 03, 2017, 03:11 PM
Strange that you would say that because on the FMS site individual Retracts are sold for the 70mm Avanti,A-10,Futura,etc unless this is a HH thing in the US..
Oct 03, 2017, 03:39 PM
Blue Skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellHathNoFury
Strange that you would say that because on the FMS site individual Retracts are sold for the 70mm Avanti,A-10,Futura,etc unless this is a HH thing in the US..
It's not a HH thing. It's a FMS thing. Here are the airplanes from FMS that only sell the retracts as a pair. It wouldn't be that bad if we were talking $35 a pair. But it's usually much more than that. As I said on some of them you can use the other retract or strut with a wheel as a spare. But why should I have to buy a spare if I don't want to. And I can't use the other side on a/c that use rotating retracts b/c the retract will rotate in the wrong direction. You can't swap out the trunnion pin without destroying the retract.

70mm Yak-130
1500mm P-47
1100mm Pilatus PC-21
1400mm T-28D
1450mm P-51D V8
1450mm P-51B V8
1400mm P-40B
1400mm F-4U
1200mm CJ-6 CAF Trainer
and the FMS BAE Hawk

I asked the question about the BAE Hawk on the HH website b/c the parts are not yet shown. And the guess is they (FMS) will continue the present policy of selling pairs of retracts.

As much as I like FMS planes, there are other alternatives. I won't be forced to spend more than I need.
Don
Last edited by hifinsword; Oct 03, 2017 at 03:55 PM.
Oct 03, 2017, 05:09 PM
Bae Hawk has only been released so spare parts will be at least a month before available I reckon but judging from the current releases Retracts will be available singularly.. Probably similar type as the Futura..
Oct 04, 2017, 11:45 AM
Post-Apocalyptic Tactical Cons
Freewing 70mm Hawk T-1 at eWeek 2017

Freewing 70mm Hawk T-1 at eWeek 2017 (4 min 24 sec)

Quick Reply