GT 5889 : My path to glory. - RC Groups
Sep 21, 2017, 09:16 PM
Yippee!

GT 5889 : My path to glory.

Hello!

I am new.
Well I am new to RC stuff.
I'm almost 50, so I am late. old ish and new.
Confused?
Me too. : - )

Pull up a deck chair! and beer,/coco/tea/coffee/toasted cheese and onion sandwich etc

Bought a GT 5889 off the local NZ web auction thing www.trademe.co.nz

Cost me $5 and then $25 for postage. Heck...

Tore the little guy down and cleaned up the swash bearing. ( Rinsed in degreaser and then soak in oil)
Reseated the top part of swash into the bearing. I made sure it was not going to "fall out".

Glued a few lose screws back in.

Made up a 2S pack out of a 1/3 dead 3s pack. ( Do NOT do this if you are an idiot... BOOM is not funny.)

Made up a lead to attach 3s pack to TX. ( again, idiots beware: get this wrong and bye bye TX/Battery/eyes/house etc)

I did have a close call:

With the blades off I slapped the new 15% charged 2s battery onto the copter and hit the on switch with the TX off.

AND...

It went BERSERK. Trying to smash everything to bits with it's fly bar.

after a short pause for the old brain to catch up I hit off. wow. That was close!

Hey it GOES! gulp.

Put everything back together, did a text with TX and it all worked fine. Decided to call it and went to bed.

Next day slapped blades in and battery on, kept battery charge low. ( just in case!)

Sat outside with a hot cup of coco and let her rip.

Wow, getting the tail rotor set up is going to be a thing.... and the stupid digital trims on the TX suck! Darn.

BUT nothing came off, the thing does do what it's suppose to and heck it's twitchy. : - )

Bottom line:

Got it, prepped it, flew it.
Still have all my fingers and two good blades.

Future?

More lounge flying and then some creative mods. Maybe try to make up some kind OH-6 looking monster. he he he.

For $5 ???
Really really good. simple, works.
Easy to work on.
Oh yeah, TX runs on 3S pack. yey!

Worst thing?

Tail thrust control fiddling and the trims on the TX.
Some plastic on it needs deburring for cosmetic reasons....

QUESTION:

Does anyone have a manual ?
Mostly the TX. How to use the digital trimmers.
( They beep, I know not what they are saying...)

Hope this slightly amused you all.

Have fun and be nice to everyone!

Robert.

PS. Yes my heart was in my mouth when the little guy exploded into action on the bench, LUCKY the blades were OFF eh!
Last edited by LowFlyingKiwi; Sep 21, 2017 at 09:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2017, 01:18 AM

Update: Ugly paint gone!

Decided the paint has to go.
Left the "canopy" for some reason. ( Maybe it will come off too...)

The vertical stab/tailskid is fibre glass under that fake carbon paint job!
I think it looks way better, and it has that translucent effect.... nice.

May paint the anodised alloy chassis. not sure what colour though.
Maybe kermit the frog green? with an orange tail boom?
Keep the canopy thingy white. maybe polish it.

OR matte black the chassis and tail boom.

I took off the paintwork on one blade and it looks better I think.
Polished it with wax shoe polish.
Very slippery now and nice round edges, instead of mould flashing. : - )

I feel this might turn out quite well. and not a penny spent doing it so far.

That paint was terrible!

Cheers!

Robert.
Sep 22, 2017, 03:04 AM
Welcome to RCG. Sounds like you're having some fun on the workbench.

Can't help with any of your questions but I hope you get to have some fun. Be aware.....1 is never enough
Sep 22, 2017, 05:21 AM
Rotor Controller
Hello Robert - welcome aboard to the world of insanity! Your descriptions are classic and I'll have a cup of hot coco and cheese sandwich without the onions please as they have an unpleasant effect in my intestinal tract and make so much gas I can compete with Iran, Russia, and Qatar. The helicopter you bought is a 4-channel fixed pitch meaning there is not much you can do to make it fly better other than keep it out of the wind while you are flying and practice practice and more practice. Have a click on this > Don't Touch the Controls < as this might give you some helpful hints on what not to do. Have fun and enjoy every minute!!

captJac
Last edited by CaptJac; Sep 23, 2017 at 03:58 AM.
Sep 22, 2017, 05:43 AM
Hello CaptJac,

Hey, I am calling you out on you your racial slur.

It's not ok.

and for the record I teach English to Migrants and refugees.

Robert.
Sep 22, 2017, 10:24 AM
Destroyer of Threads
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowFlyingKiwi
Hello!

I am new.
Well I am new to RC stuff.
I'm almost 50, so I am late. old ish and new.
Confused?
Me too. : - )

Pull up a deck chair! and beer,/coco/tea/coffee/toasted cheese and onion sandwich etc

Bought a GT 5889 off the local NZ web auction thing www.trademe.co.nz

Cost me $5 and then $25 for postage. Heck...

Tore the little guy down and cleaned up the swash bearing. ( Rinsed in degreaser and then soak in oil)
Reseated the top part of swash into the bearing. I made sure it was not going to "fall out".

Glued a few lose screws back in.

Made up a 2S pack out of a 1/3 dead 3s pack. ( Do NOT do this if you are an idiot... BOOM is not funny.)

Made up a lead to attach 3s pack to TX. ( again, idiots beware: get this wrong and bye bye TX/Battery/eyes/house etc)

I did have a close call:

With the blades off I slapped the new 15% charged 2s battery onto the copter and hit the on switch with the TX off.

AND...

It went BERSERK. Trying to smash everything to bits with it's fly bar.

after a short pause for the old brain to catch up I hit off. wow. That was close!

Hey it GOES! gulp.

Put everything back together, did a text with TX and it all worked fine. Decided to call it and went to bed.

Next day slapped blades in and battery on, kept battery charge low. ( just in case!)

Sat outside with a hot cup of coco and let her rip.

Wow, getting the tail rotor set up is going to be a thing.... and the stupid digital trims on the TX suck! Darn.

BUT nothing came off, the thing does do what it's suppose to and heck it's twitchy. : - )

Bottom line:

Got it, prepped it, flew it.
Still have all my fingers and two good blades.

Future?

More lounge flying and then some creative mods. Maybe try to make up some kind OH-6 looking monster. he he he.

For $5 ???
Really really good. simple, works.
Easy to work on.
Oh yeah, TX runs on 3S pack. yey!

Worst thing?

Tail thrust control fiddling and the trims on the TX.
Some plastic on it needs deburring for cosmetic reasons....

QUESTION:

Does anyone have a manual ?
Mostly the TX. How to use the digital trimmers.
( They beep, I know not what they are saying...)

Hope this slightly amused you all.

Have fun and be nice to everyone!

Robert.

PS. Yes my heart was in my mouth when the little guy exploded into action on the bench, LUCKY the blades were OFF eh!
Your 5889 reminds me of my old DH9116. Basically the same size and design.

It's what got me hooked on helicopters. While I don't fly them every day like most of the folks on the forum, I have been flying them
for over 4 years and still have not gotten bored.

Once you advance and find the limits of your 5889 you will probably want to step up to CP's.

I can't express how much more realistic CP's look in flight compared to what you are flying.

Not that what you are flying is bad... it's just that the hobby has so much more to offer.

Stay with it, it only gets better.
Last edited by Steve_; Sep 22, 2017 at 10:34 AM.
Sep 22, 2017, 10:46 AM
Rotor Controller
Robert: My comment about gas was certainly not meant as a racial slur - it was just a light farted joke. That being said I'll climb off my soapbox and get back in the cockpit but the comments Steve made about CP helis is certainly true but no matter what you fly we never get to the proficiency level we all try to attain we just become a little better and don't crash as often.

captJac
Last edited by CaptJac; Sep 23, 2017 at 03:59 AM.
Sep 22, 2017, 11:05 AM
Destroyer of Threads
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac
no matter what you fly we never get to the proficiency level we all try to attain we just become a little better and don't crash as often.

captJac
In the last month I wrecked a 180 CFX and a 200 SRX.
Last edited by Steve_; Sep 23, 2017 at 11:03 PM.
Sep 22, 2017, 12:14 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Welcome to the hobby Kiwi, sounds like you are doing great so far!
Sep 22, 2017, 03:37 PM
Hey all thank you for the support! : - )

Dear CaptJac,
I don't want to cause a fuss, but light hearted or not, it's not ok on my watch. Sorry but you will have to do something about it. Like edit out the racially offensive part. Maybe you could change it to your own race and see how light hearted that is? I have not reported it as yet, that's the last resort. So do the world a favour and change it. Fart jokes are funny. Racial fart jokes are not. and it is racial.

and back to coptering.

The GT 5889 is my second copter! and I guess it's not a bad idea to start slowly and methodically.
If I break it, will I lose too much? Not really. So I am pretty happy to learn the ropes etc on this little machine. It's pretty cute in an ugly duckling sort of way. he he he.

Onwards and upwards! As my Father says. : - )

Salute!

Robert.
Sep 23, 2017, 07:15 AM

She lives!

Well I took her to the spare room ( empty) and spent a few minutes scudding across the floor.

Hmm. OK we have a problem here.

She is pulling left. Super left. So left it was criminal. Hmmm.
....checked the throw of the Aileron servo and it was ok. ...
Maybe I could jack it uo some? Ok I did that.

Off... I was on the wrong servo and the wrong way. Now it's pitching forward. Dang. I said I was slow...

Retweak the "other" alieron servo. Heh. mmm. this feels better.

I got sick of scudding across the floor. she was eating up all the recirculating air and doing so
pretty doughnuts but it was reckless and a bit too fast. Oops bounced off the wall. She is fine.

Hmm. Pop up. It's a thing right? I am pretty sure there is a name fro anything you can do in heli.
Got her up fast out of the VRS and hello. wow. and so agile. Egad.

The major issue after getting her up into the clean air was hitting the brakes and her falling like a rock.
I am thinking large float bumpers. Or actual foam wheels. lose the skids and go wheels down. I like it.

So after some tweaking of the servo flappy joiny things I think we are looking ok. Then battery goes flat.
Maybe five min of actual hovering... well from a really old battery.... I think thats ok. heck.

Verdict: We are on on a definite heading. *cough*

So. how do you feel now that you have actually managed to get your first single rotor up ?
Pretty ok, not overwhelmed or underwhelmed. Pretty casual really.
I can see a bit of hard work to get her really under control but that's not too daunting, just some work, y'know.
Frankly I am stoked she's still fit to fly and not a total basket case. Best $5 spent this year.

Can't wait to get some real flight time in.
Will order some more batteries.... I guess that's the bottom line right there.

Chuffed really. : - )

Salute all!

Robert.

PS. I actually managed to accidentally do some tidy moves that I look forward to doing on purpose. Yep. Don't try to fight it man: Heli fever.
Last edited by LowFlyingKiwi; Sep 23, 2017 at 07:21 AM.
Sep 23, 2017, 10:31 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Moving left when the heli is on the deck is (to a degree) normal. It's caused by the tail rotor pushing the heli to the left. Once you get in the air the heli will lean right slightly to counteract the effect but when the skids ore on the deck it cant lean so it tends to drift left.

You shouldn't adjust the swash to stop it otherwise the in-flight behaviour will be screwed up.. if the swash is level then leave it level.

The effect is called 'translating tendency'.. if you google it there are some good videos that expain.
Sep 23, 2017, 09:34 PM

Swash tuning....

Hey there. : - )

I seemed to have fixed the problem and it was just fiddling with the the "alieron" servo neutral point.

I think what was happening was the main rotor was biased left too much and was blowing itself along the floor.
Right stick was doing nothing.

Tweaked the swash and the swash is definitely not flat head on any more.
Now it has a "go right" lean which counters the go left scooting.

* Shrug*

Reading about VRS is interesting.
With recirculating air if you cyclic over you will blow yourself sideways with no lift.
So you effectively become an air hockey puck, scooting on a bubble of air but not getting any translational lift.
Due too much recirculation. I guess once you get really moving you stop recirculating and you get buoyancy.
and hello translational lift.
( hence heavy copters have wheels to perform rolling take off and reduce loaded hovering hours.)

I guess it's "aqua planing" and it's all hydro dynamics.... he he. Swimming though "air" ...

A taller copter will probably have less VRS as it's disk is higher off the deck reducing recirculation?

also one thing I noticed was the GT 5889 TX/RX does not give the servos 100% throw. it's more like 75% .
I hooked up a servo tester and did an A B test.... weird. I fiddled the hi/lo switch and that made it worse....
So trying to push right when slipping left was doing zip.

The bottom line really is that I am feeling my way around the ground effect, VRS and translation lft etc.
It's cool!
May as well learn the ropes from the ground up!

Have a great weekend!

Robert.
Last edited by LowFlyingKiwi; Sep 24, 2017 at 04:00 AM.
Sep 24, 2017, 05:29 AM
Dear Capt.

Thank you. : - )

Now I can get off my soapbox and back to crashing into things, walls, chairs etc....

Must get more batteries .... he he.

and you can do it inside! I must go looking for neat sheltered places to fly...

Salute!

Robert.
Sep 24, 2017, 08:45 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Re-circulation is reduced when the rotor is close to the ground ('ground effect').. This is why a heli will hover very low using less power than it takes to hover higher up.

Re-circulation this isnt why the heli tends to move left.. That's due to Translating Tenancy as I mentioned in the last post.

Anyway, your swash must me perpendicular to the main shaft (aka 'level')