one for sketchup pros? - RC Groups
Sep 20, 2017, 06:13 PM
Discussion

one for sketchup pros?

Hi guys. In the middle of drawing up a couple of extra detail parts for my durafly vampire. I'm using sketchup and print my parts with an anycubic Kossel.

Anyway I wanted to do a pair of wing drop tanks. The actual tank part is fairly straight forward but the part that is kicking my butt is the integrated pylon.

Its obviously airfoil shaped from front to back and has a curved trailing edge. You can see in the photo below how the pylon is blended into the tank.

Ive spent a couple of hours on this tonight and my only results have been cursing and laptop abuse haha. How would any of you guys go about tackling this I'm obviously doing it wrong!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2017, 06:40 PM
Duane, LSF IV
This one's a little tricky. I'd probably try:
  1. Draw the streamlined cross section of the pylon - the shape you'd get by intersecting a horizontal plane.
  2. Extrude the streamlined pylon shape vertically
  3. Select the streamlined profile at the top of the extrusion and make a few copies of it, distributed vertically along the extrusion length.
  4. Scale each of the profile copies at varying sizes to get the swept trailing edge.
  5. Draw the wing profile where the pylon attaches.
  6. Extrude wing profile spanwise.
  7. Position wing extrusion so it fully intersects the pylon extrusion.
  8. Intersect faces between the wing extrusion and pylon extrusion.
  9. Delete unneeded bits from wing extrusion.
Sep 21, 2017, 01:45 PM
Some good tips there mate thanks that il give a try.
Number 6 will be a little tricky if not impossible as sketchup wont let you extrude a curved surface which I think is why I'm finding this so difficult.

Was expecting this to be a real easy part to do but turned out to be a proper brain taxing nightmare. Not giving up yet though.

Edit... Just realised you mean extrude a 'fake' wing through the top of the pylon. Great idea!
Sep 24, 2017, 05:36 PM
just thought id update this as finally got the tanks finished up tonight.

Huge thanks for the advice to make copies of the airfoil and scale them for the pylon. That was the bit I couldn't get my head around and probably would never have worked it out!