AnyCubic I3 Mega 3D Printer Review - Page 3 - RC Groups
Oct 14, 2017, 09:29 AM
RCG Admin
Yeah!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2017, 06:53 AM
My quadcopter is not a drone!
I have a printer!

The bed is now level and I've just started the test print of the two owls.

The packaging really was excellent and everything arrived undamaged. The only thing that I will have to fix fairly quickly is one of the fans in the base. It makes a terrible noise! It's much louder than it should be.
Oct 17, 2017, 08:12 AM
RCG Admin
Welcome to the club! I just finished a 36 hour print on mine.
Oct 17, 2017, 11:43 AM
There are a few problems with this printer...

There's a fan that I'll need to replace.

After printing the owls (which came out surprisingly well considering they are printed at a 0.2mm layer height), I noticed that the aluminium heat bed had separated from the glass Ultrabase at the front left and was actually hanging down about 5mm under the glass! I've added a traditional spring metal clip to hold them together.

These are minor annoyances, but the separation of the heating plate and the glass plate doesn't say very good things about the idea of a glue sheet being enough to deal with the heating plate warping as it heats up. I'll probably add clips to all four corners to ensure that the plate and the glass stay in contact.

I'm really impressed with the Ultrabase itself. PLA sticks to it perfectly and then, once the bed has cooled down, a gentle rocking motion instantly separates the print from the bed. No more knives or spatulas!

I'll try printing some ABS later and see how well that sticks.

I've already printed a filament guide for the filament holder: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2484686

In a short while, a tool holder to give me somewhere to store tweezers, hex keys and other tools will finish printing: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2487116

My E3D v6 hot end has also arrived, so the next job will be switching to ABS and printing the plastic parts I need to mount the new hot end.

So far, so good!
Oct 17, 2017, 12:21 PM
RCG Admin
Checked my heat bed and it's all nice and even to the glass so that's good. The tool holder works great, I did the same thing. I'm thinking about doing this mod for the side spool holder https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2589666 Looks like it might save some space for when I get my Prusa in, plus I like that I don't need to move the extruder to use it. We'll see.
Oct 17, 2017, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
Checked my heat bed and it's all nice and even to the glass so that's good. The tool holder works great, I did the same thing. I'm thinking about doing this mod for the side spool holder https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2589666 Looks like it might save some space for when I get my Prusa in, plus I like that I don't need to move the extruder to use it. We'll see.
Putting a spool holder on the frame sounds like a nice idea to save space, but it adds weight to the frame. The more the frame weighs the more the frame sways and oscillates with the motion of the print head and bed, particularly if the extra weight is off to one side or above the centre of mass. The ideal 3D printer frame would be as rigid as titanium and weigh nothing. Just like the ideal aeroplane wing!

Hanging 1Kg of filament off the side of the frame is not going to help print quality.
Oct 17, 2017, 12:58 PM
RCG Admin
hmmm, Didn't consider that. Interesting. Maybe I'll wait until the Prusa gets here to see how much space I actually need.
Oct 17, 2017, 02:44 PM
A second printer already?!

You obviously have the bug!
Oct 17, 2017, 03:00 PM
Too many? No such thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseen
A second printer already?!

You obviously have the bug!
You need at least 3. That way if two break down you can still print while waiting for parts to fix them.
Oct 17, 2017, 04:05 PM
RCG Admin
It will be my 3rd, lol. Also picked up one of the little Monoprice Select Mini V2s. I do have the bug!
Oct 17, 2017, 04:30 PM
Too many? No such thing.
Quote:
It will be my 3rd, lol. Also picked up one of the little Monoprice Select Mini V2s. I do have the bug!
I just got the Mini V2 for my son for his birthday a few weeks ago. Great little printer. He's been slowly developing some stuff in Fusion 360 for about a year now. Last night I showed him MS Builder for about 15 minutes. Not long after that he had a phone stand printing on the Mini and this morning it was done. I though the thing wasn't going to support the weight of a phone leaning back, but the stand worked fine and he was using it this morning.

If you like 3D printing, check out the MPCNC project at https://www.vicious1.com/specifications/. Mine is half together. I need to build a table for it.
Oct 18, 2017, 02:51 AM
Quote:

This is also my third printer.

I built a Geeetech acrylic i3 a while back and although it prints reasonably well, the SD card reader never worked and various compromises in the quality of some parts mean that it's not very good for larger prints.

Then I got the Fabrikator Mini V2, which is great for making small parts in PLA but has to print quite slowly to avoid under-extrusion. The fact that the heated bed is too thin and ends up warping is annoying as are the adjustment bolts for levelling the bed which are almost impossible to get to.

With the i3 Mega, I think the fact that you can't build a new version of the firmware is going to be the biggest problem. The proprietary display on the i3 is very useful but Anycubic have not made a full build environment for the printer's firmware available. If I want to go to temperatures over 295C - for printing polycarbonate for example - I can't do that without changing the type of temperature sensor in the hot end. Without being able to build new firmware, it's not possible to use a different type of temperature sensor. As it stands now, the printer won't let you set a temperature higher than 260C and the firmware needs to be changed to allow that.

This is very bad of Anycubic and in violation of the open source license that they obtained the controller firmware under in the first place. I hope that vendors and people in the hobby with a higher profile than mine can put the appropriate pressure on Anycubic to release a full set of source code and libraries so that we can modify the firmware. If they can only release the code for the screen as binary libraries, that's fine, but they should (and indeed must) release the source for the printer's controller.
Oct 19, 2017, 08:28 AM
Bit the bullet and bought one of these, been holding off on getting a 3D printer for a while now. Just received it yesterday, less then a week after ordering. I have to say that's impressive.

Started printing last night with the owls, and have since created a 'cabin pencil holder' and am now printing a 'parts tray. This is way to addicting, someone make it stop. Also purchased Simplify 3D and am loving it, already has a configuration you can select for this printer. Couple of changes I made after noticing inconsistent layering, had some 'clumping' Seems to have been fixed wen I upped the extruder temp from the default of 190c to 208c.

Now thinking of ordering the QTrainer plans from 3DLabPrint.
Oct 19, 2017, 08:43 AM
RCG Admin
Awesome and welcome! I'm planning on printing out one of those planes too this winter.
Oct 24, 2017, 03:28 AM
E3D v6 hot end installed and printing!