View Poll Results: Do you own a Star45
I own a Star45 8 50.00%
I own more than 1 Star45 4 25.00%
I'm interested in acquiring/building a Star45 4 25.00%
None of the above 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Dec 03, 2017, 12:07 PM
Ok all you Star45 skippers, time to finish up your projects and get on the water. It looks like we might have up to 10 skippers in the Houston area that are either finishing up or just beginning their Star45 builds. I just finished building a new rig using my Windjammin sails that came with my newly acquired Star and am eager to give it a test on Lake Bridgeland in Bridgeland Texas. I used the rigging documentation provided by the sail builder using the suggested Forestay/Jibstay method of rigging the Jib. I also utilized a secret solution for mounting the main sail to the mast as suggested by my builder supervisor, Phil Renquest of Bridgeland Texas. The hull is supposed to be a Blackwell build. Looking forward to hitting the water soon before it gets too cold.
Name: IMG_1137[4394].jpg
Views: 79
Size: 758.6 KB
Description:
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands
Last edited by fredsheldon; Dec 08, 2017 at 05:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2017, 04:20 PM
I have a question for you Star skippers. Do you use B rigs or is the A rig good enough for most wind conditions?
Dec 07, 2017, 08:19 PM
Interesting question Fred. Tecnically, the Star 45 Class does not have sail size designations like A or B. The class rules state that any size Jib and main combo is legal as long as they do not exceed the maximum dimensions.

An attempt was made a couple years ago to formalize Max and min dimensions of both an A suit and a B suit but it was voted down.

SJ
Dec 08, 2017, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsheldon
Ok all you Star45 skippers, time to finish up your projects and get on the water. It looks like we might have up to 10 skippers in the Houston area that are either finishing up or just beginning their Star45 builds. I just finished building a new rig using my Windjammin sails that came with my newly acquired Star and am eager to give it a test on Lake Bridgeland in Bridgeland Texas. I used the rigging documentation provided by the sail builder using the suggested Forestay/Jibstay method of rigging the Jib. I also utilized a secret solution for mounting the main sail to the mast as suggested by my builder supervisor, Phil Renquest of Bridgeland Texas. The hull is supposed to be a Blackwell build. Looking forward to hitting the water soon before it gets too cold.
Attachment 10555040
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands
Oops, looks like I waited too long. First time it has snowed in Houston in many years. This is going to be an interesting year. First record floods, then this :

(Name: IMG_1140.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 848.5 KB
Description:
Last edited by fredsheldon; Dec 08, 2017 at 05:16 PM.
Dec 15, 2017, 02:46 PM
Driven by Passion!

Star 45 short kit for sale

Selling a Star 45 short kit. See the ad below.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e#post38815572

Thanks,
Dave
Dec 15, 2017, 08:43 PM
What a great day for sailing. Temps around 58 F. with light winds. Our Houston Star45 fleet is growing by the day. We had 4 Stars joining 3 IOM's on Lake Bridgeland in Bridgeland Texas today. In the attached video you will see my newly acquired Star,#733, testing out my new rig and sails. This was my first venture into building my own rig. I had a IOM skipper race #733 in this race since I was filming using my Mavic Pro drone. #733 finished first thanks to a skilled skipper at the helm. We are aware of at least 4 more Star's that will be joining us in future regattas for a total of 8 that we know about so far. If you have a Star in your garage, pull it out and shake off the cobwebs and come on out and join us for some low key fun sailing.
Fred Sheldon

Star 45's vs IOM's RC Sailboats, December 15 2017 (8 min 48 sec)
Dec 15, 2017, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Pt Dave

Thanks,
Dave
Dave,
Thanks for that heads up. I will pass this information along to our local members.
Fred
Dec 18, 2017, 11:57 AM
Chuck Porth called me this morning at 2:00 AM to chat and to ask me if I could take him for a car ride somewhere just to get out of his room. He's been unable to get out of bed and has not been eating much and had been losing weight. I was heading over to visit him this morning when I was informed that he had passed away at 11:00 AM, which was when I was supposed to arrive. Mark Cooper will be providing details of his service soon. Chuck just had a video made of his life last week. When I told Chuck this morning that his Star45 won a recent race, he was thrilled and said he was glad that someone was able to make good use of it. Chuck was in no pain and was ready to move on to a better place.
Fred Sheldon
Dec 19, 2017, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Pt Dave

Thanks,
Dave
Dave, would the buyer happen to be from Texas? I was about to grab the kit for myself
Thanks,
Fred

Update: Got a PM from Dave, kit is heading to Rhode Island, not Texas.

Anybody else out there want to find a good home for your underused Star? I can find a good home for it.
Fred
Last edited by fredsheldon; Dec 19, 2017 at 02:56 PM.
Jan 17, 2018, 05:52 PM
For those interested I have started a Facebook page for the Star45.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/159982287865205/
Jan 18, 2018, 09:05 AM
RC Enthusiast
Fred,

Looking forward to your Facebook group and keeping up with Chuck's Star45!

Best wishes, -Lee
Latest blog entry: Warbirds Over JSC - April 2018
Jan 24, 2018, 08:22 PM

Sailing some Star 45's Saturday

Fred
I talked to Phil this afternoon and he wants to get together at Bridgeland this Sat. 1/27/2018 and sail some Stars, weather permitting. IOM's welcome also. Let me know if you are interested.

Don
Last edited by Sailor_Man; Jan 24, 2018 at 08:28 PM.
Jan 24, 2018, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Man
Fred
I talked to Phil this afternoon and he wants to get together at Bridgeland this Sat. 1/27/2018 and sail some Stars, weather permitting. IOM's welcome also. Let me know if you are interested.

Don
Weather permitting, yes, I'm game. All you Texas skippers who want to knock the dust off your Star come on out and join us for some fun.
Parking lot off Bridgeland Landing in Bridgeland, Texas.
Jan 25, 2018, 10:30 PM
Bridgeland will host a family fun regatta this Saturday the 27th from 1:00 to 5:00PM.
Star 45's and IOM's will be the boats of choice this time.
You know the drill. If you don't have either of these boats bring what you have. All classes are always welcome. Just come have fun.
We are expecting light rain in the morning, diminishing by the noon hour. Which is the reason we will start at 1:00 this time.
Wind is expected from the NE @ 6MPH. Temps in the mid 60s.
We will sail on the Bridgeland Visitor's Center Lake (our usual location). Enter the parking lot from Bridgeland Landing Drive.
I've added our regatta to the Bridgeland HOA calendar for us in advance. The recently vandalized restrooms will be open and in pristine condition for us by Saturday.
This will not be a scored event as we have several new skippers joining us. It will be a day of mentoring and team racing with repeated short heats and many quick starts.
On the water rules instruction/observance/application instruction will be the order of the day.
Please come join us for some fun sailing.
Kind Regards
Phil R.
Jan 27, 2018, 05:48 PM
Did the never ending rain dampen the enthusiasm of the seven skippers that showed up at Lake Bridgeland today for a little friendly racing. Heck no, just put on the ponchos and have at it. A mixture of 4 Star45's, 2 Dragon Force 65's and 1 IOM went head to head in a one lap very long race that lasted 20 minutes due to the very light winds. In the end it was a very close finish between 2 Stars, with only a 6 inches difference. Due to the rain no photos were taken and my drone stayed in the hanger

Quick Reply