View Poll Results: Do you own a Star45
I own a Star45 10 32.26%
I own more than 1 Star45 7 22.58%
I'm interested in acquiring/building a Star45 11 35.48%
None of the above 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Oct 23, 2019, 11:27 AM
Just Sailing along
Nice fall weather in the forecast, planning to get out with the stars this weekend at Bridgeland.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2019, 08:26 PM
Thread OP
What a great day to get out on the water. After months of 100+ temps, we finally got a day where it was in the 60's and clear blue skies. Eight Star45 skippers made it out to Lake Bridgeland in Bridgeland, Texas for 4 hours of fun sailing.
Name: IMG_2611.JPG
Views: 29
Size: 532.3 KB
Description:
Oct 27, 2019, 05:06 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Awesome, yep we roasted in Texas this year. great to see y’all sailing.
Nov 03, 2019, 10:37 AM
Thread OP
Another great day of sailing Star's on Lake Bridgeland today, 11/02/2019. Nine Star skippers enjoyed brisk to mild winds and 65 degree weather.
Name: IMG_2635.JPG
Views: 22
Size: 623.4 KB
Description:
Nov 26, 2019, 05:32 PM
Hi Sailor_Man,

you never got back to us with the results of the 3D printed parts.

Cheers,

Terry Smith
Nov 27, 2019, 09:12 AM
question for the builders, as I'm getting ready to embark on on this build. i was thinking about a plank on frame build. I want the boat to look nice, nicer than a fiberglass tub

i have the build guide, I have frames.. but my mind was wandering...(dangerous)

I have seen pictures of folks putting tape on the frames, so the hull could be removed and the frames remain for a second build. for the life of me I cannot find the post/pictures

are the stephens aero frames too delicate for this to work?
Nov 29, 2019, 12:06 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsmith
question for the builders, as I'm getting ready to embark on on this build. i was thinking about a plank on frame build. I want the boat to look nice, nicer than a fiberglass tub

i have the build guide, I have frames.. but my mind was wandering...(dangerous)

I have seen pictures of folks putting tape on the frames, so the hull could be removed and the frames remain for a second build. for the life of me I cannot find the post/pictures

are the stephens aero frames too delicate for this to work?
It's my understanding that the frames are required to provide support for the planks stringers and deck. I removed 1/2 of the frames to reduce weight, but retained the remainder for mounting servos, planks, stringers, etc and the deck. Not sure if I understand your question.
Nov 29, 2019, 08:17 AM
Fred,

I was thinking that if I removed the frames, after planning once they glue had dried, I’d probably save some weight, but I was thinking about glassing inside and outside. So I’d end up with the benefits of a glass hull, but it would look pretty..

A cored boat, glass on each side with a wood core...
Dec 03, 2019, 12:16 PM
Classic wooden RC sailboater
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsmith
Fred,

I was thinking that if I removed the frames, after planning once they glue had dried, Id probably save some weight, but I was thinking about glassing inside and outside. So Id end up with the benefits of a glass hull, but it would look pretty..

A cored boat, glass on each side with a wood core...
The frames are usually cut from "Lite Ply" which is a poplar plywood and is very, very light. Removing them would weaken the deck structure much more than any benefit gained from removing the frames.

Also, the hull is generally pretty strong and so glassing the inside really only adds weight. Epoxy coating the frames and the inside of the hull, and then wiping out the excess is generally all you need for waterproofing.
Dec 30, 2019, 02:32 PM
The frames from Stevens aero weigh about 3 oz total. As I can build a hull to minimum weight with them in place, I don’t see any advantage of removing them. The way I designed them they also lock the chain plates and jib rack into the hull structure. That alone is worth the weight to me.
Dec 31, 2019, 06:45 PM
Thread OP
What a great way to close out 2019. Eight skippers enjoyed great 60 degree weather with very light winds sailing 6 Star45's and 2 IOM's. Ed, Vicki, Fernando, Don, Dan, Phil, Alex and Fred on Lake Bridgeland.
Name: IMG_2769.JPG
Views: 17
Size: 446.0 KB
Description:
Jan 10, 2020, 01:32 PM
any good pics or plan for star cradles.

Quick Reply