I own a Star45 6 46.15%
I own more than 1 Star45 3 23.08%
I'm interested in acquiring/building a Star45 4 30.77%
None of the above 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Sep 20, 2017, 01:07 PM
Discussion

Star45's in Houston

Having just acquired a Star45 I'm in the process of trying to redevelop interest in this class in the Houston area. Phil Runquist and I believe we can get at least 10 local skippers, who either already have a Star45 ready to sail or are in the process of building one, together for a little regatta . Here is an article I dug up from the internet that I find interesting.
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Texas
fredsheldon@aol.com

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/wo...re-1775958.php
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2017, 05:55 PM
Two Star45's mixed it up with a group of IOM's on Lake Bridgeland in Houston today. My Star is not in the video because I'm taking the video I just acquired my Star in the past week but really am having fun with it. Sure is a little harder hauling it around than my IOM, DF65 and DF95
Star45 RC sailboat mixing it up with IOM's on Lake Bridgeland in Texas (7 min 20 sec)
Oct 01, 2017, 12:01 AM
Really great video ... overall view and tracking progress across the corse ...

Especially liked the second start - the angle and perspective ... catching the boats and skippers on shore !!
Oct 01, 2017, 02:53 PM
Neat video! Makes me want to build one! Hmmmmm
Oct 01, 2017, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsailor
Neat video! Makes me want to build one! Hmmmmm
We are attempting to rebuild the Star45 fleet in the Houston area. There are 3 skippers in the process of building and 4 with one ready for the water. Just have to light a fire under them to get them completed We are also on the lookout for Stars for sale if anybody has one collecting dust in the garage and would like to see it get some use.
Fred
fredsheldon@aol.com
Oct 01, 2017, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsheldon
We are attempting to rebuild the Star45 fleet in the Houston area. There are 3 skippers in the process of building and 4 with one ready for the water. Just have to light a fire under them to get them completed We are also on the lookout for Stars for sale if anybody has one collecting dust in the garage and would like to see it get some use.
Fred
fredsheldon@aol.com
Good luck Fred! They’re great boats.

Andy
Oct 17, 2017, 01:01 AM
Not sure if you saw this posting under forum classifieds ...

NOTE: seller only wants "Local Pickup CA"

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ar-45-Sailboat
Oct 17, 2017, 06:20 AM
Fred,

Just ran across you thread and have subscribed.
I have a Dumas Star 45 partially built. The hull in about 75% done with the bulb, no deck yet. I acquired the boat a couple of years ago from a friend. It came with the clock style sail winch, no sails, hardware, plans or build log.
I contacted Dumas and they sent me the plans and build log but the sails and hardware were no longer available. I have since acquired a set of original sails and have decided to use airplane hardware for the rigging.
I am in the process of restoring a Dumas Chris Craft Barrel Back boat and once finished I hope to get started on the Star.
Fred
Oct 17, 2017, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1
Fred,

I have a Dumas Star 45 partially built. The hull in about 75% done with the bulb, no deck yet. I acquired the boat a couple of years ago from a friend. It came with the clock style sail winch, no sails, hardware, plans or build log.
I contacted Dumas and they sent me the plans and build log but the sails and hardware were no longer available. I have since acquired a set of original sails and have decided to use airplane hardware for the rigging.
I am in the process of restoring a Dumas Chris Craft Barrel Back boat and once finished I hope to get started on the Star.
Fred
Check out Midwest Model Yachting, LLC for your rigging and hardware needs. I sell rig kits and all the hardware you need to fit out the Star 45.
www.midwestmodelyachting.com

Regards,
Brian
Oct 19, 2017, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1
Fred,

Fred
Fred
Glad to hear you are in the process of finishing your Star 45. Keep me posted and let me know when you are ready to put it in the water. We sail on Lake Bridgeland in West Houston.
Fred
Oct 31, 2017, 12:34 PM
Fred

I just acquired a Star 45 and am doing a little repair work on it and should have it ready to sail in a couple of weeks. I don't know much history on the boat as to who built it or where the parts came from but I'm still looking for information about it. It has a fiberglass hull, plywood deck, plywood keel and rudder. It has a wooden mast and wooden spars that are curved to fit the sail foots. I bought it from a guy who used to live and sailed it in Houston but no longer lives here. It looks like a nice boat, the price was right and we will soon have another boat for the Houston Star 45 fleet.

Don
Oct 31, 2017, 02:09 PM
That's great Don. Looking forward to seeing your boat on the water. Our plan is to mix Star 45's and IOM's together in our local regattas and score them separately until we get enough Star's together to have their own regatta.
Fred
Oct 31, 2017, 02:39 PM
Hi Don, Just sent you a reply to your question. Lots of Stars in the Houston area and I think Phil Runquist knows most of them down there. He may be able to give more back ground on 548.

Best,

Chuck
Oct 31, 2017, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the info on this boat Chuck. Not sure if I will be able to find out any more about it. It's probably more important what I do with it now than what others have done with it in the past. I think it can be a good competitive boat. I'm going to just make a few minor repairs to it to begin with and get it out sailing to see what it does. Then go from there. I'm also working on a CPM Star short kit and I want to use this boat to learn on. I plan to try out some ideas on the 548 after I've sailed it a while before I use them on the CPM boat.

Don
Nov 01, 2017, 07:11 AM
Fred,

We sail at Sylvan Rodriguez Park in Clear Lake. This is a county park. One of the guy's in the NASA RC Club puts on a in-formal get together from time to time called a Boat Fest. Usually he sets the time at 9am until. No competition just a get together and show off our boats. The next one he has scheduled is November 18, 2017. Drop by and take a look. No gas boats allowed but everything else is welcome. We usually have a mix of sailboats, airboats, military, and classic wooden boats. Lake is surrounded by a concrete wall at sidewalk level and is approximately 18" deep at the edge with a concrete bottom out about 10' from the edge. This makes it easier to get them in and out.
Fred

Quick Reply