Metal coat "Mick reeves" 3dLab - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 20, 2017, 06:57 AM
Discussion

Metal coat "Mick reeves" 3dLab

I have a 3dlab spitfire 1700! So being plastic I was wondering if it would be suitable to apply Mick reeves metal coat? Or would it be more viable to just paint it? How good is the metal coat in peoples opinion? I'm eager to have the model looking real so this is why I'm looking at Mick reeves product. Any tips or information would be greatful.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2017, 08:50 PM
Hope to get out of life alive
I guess if it were me I would fly the plane first to make sure it does in fact fly as intended. Next you need to figure out just how much weight the product will add to the weight of the plane. It may make it to heavy to fly properly. Also balance (C/G) may become an issue with the added weight of the product you apply.

With the above said I'm not trying to be negative. I just want you to be aware of the potential pitfalls. I would hate to see a nice flying plane ruined by having a beautiful but heavy finish on it so it becomes a hanger queen if it survives that long.

I guess what I'm saying is do your research on the product first. You've made the first step here. Keep looking and asking questions untll you have enough data to make a sound decision.

Ken

EDIT: I just looked at the Mick Reeves product. How would common aluminum foil work??? Print a small section of a wing and experiment.
Last edited by kenh3497; Sep 20, 2017 at 09:02 PM.
Sep 21, 2017, 05:46 AM
The model will be for display, so weight will not be an issue. I did think of normal aluminium foil but I think the self adhesive foil would probably be easier to use because it's less likely to tear?!
Sep 21, 2017, 07:16 AM
Look at Vallejo Paints http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US go to model color and then metal color. You can buy them from Scale Hobbies. This line is extensive you will be amazed what is available and what you can do. Can be brushed or airbrushed lots of idea on YouTube

Ken
Sep 21, 2017, 08:22 AM
ARFs Are Me
Assuming that the Reeves product is similar to Flite Metal, it should provide the realistic finish that you desire.

It takes some effort, so I suggest that you practice, before applying it to your model.