Test part from 3D Labs plane - RC Groups
Sep 19, 2017, 01:06 PM
Discussion

Test part from 3D Labs plane

Hey,
I thinking about building 3D Labs Edge, but as long as I don't have much 3D printing experience yet (couple simple prints only), I was afraid to buy model and start printing it.
Luckily, someone on this forum mentioned, that 3D Labs spitfire is included together with Prusa i3 MK2S, so I took one wing part and printed it.
It came out better than I expected, but as long as some of you have much more experience with 3D printing, give me know if you see something that might be fixed in printing calibration/process.
I was using Prusa PLA, that came with the printer and provided gcode file without any adjustments.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2017, 07:16 PM
When I could feel or notice "bumps" on the shell which follow the internal structure I would lower the print temp which eliminated that artifact.

Tom
Sep 20, 2017, 09:45 PM
Staying away from trees..
Honestly, those don't look that bad compared to done of the early prints I had when funding the right settings. You could experiment with temps, but you may still have dine of that internal structure showing up jyst due to the nature of thin wall printing.
Sep 21, 2017, 09:22 AM
Stepan
the internal structure will be visible so it is, your prints look quite OK for me, you can try set extra restart distance/wipe/coasting values in Simplify3D to tune it exactly for your printer and filament...
Sep 21, 2017, 05:05 PM
Senile Member
Wow, glad I came across this thread. I didn't know the Spitfire file was included with the Prusa 3D printer. I just received my Prusa 3D printer kit. Can't wait to get it assembled and start printing the Spitfire. I had already purchased the PT-17 files from 3D Labs, but my current 3D printer can't print parts that large. So I purchased the Prusa printer to be able to print it. Now it looks like I get two airplanes for the price of one.

Larry
Sep 22, 2017, 09:19 AM
I've tried to lower temperature - first from 230 to 220, there was no big effect (may be a tiny bit better), then to 215 - and 215 turned out to be too low, as bumps didn't go away, just other wrong artifacts started to appear.
Oct 27, 2017, 12:06 PM
Have you tried playing with your extrusion multiplier at all? Your parts do look a tad over extruded to me. that could definitely help with the print lines you are seeing from the internal structure (although those really just affect the looks not the way it flies).

What slicer are you using? this makes a big difference on print quality especially for these thin walled parts. Are you using cura? Simplify 3D does a really good job with tool path generation.