Horizon Hobby - Blade Torrent 110 FPV - RCGroups Review - RC Groups

Horizon Hobby - Blade Torrent 110 FPV - RCGroups Review

Join Editor Matt Gunn as he reviews the Torrent 110, a true-x carbon-fiber framed quad that's perfect for intermediate to advanced pilots.

Horizon Hobby - Blade Torrent 110 FPV - RCGroups Review

A Great Platform For Beginners and Advanced Pilots

Product:Blade Torrent 110 FPV BNF
Price:$199.99
Frame material:Carbon fiber w/ plastic prop guards and cover
Motors:1104 7600Kv
ESC:4-in-1 BLHeli
Flight Controller:F3 Betaflight
VTx:150mW 32-channel
Camera:600TVL 120-degree FOV
Propellers:2" 3-blade
Receiver:Spektrum Telemetry Rx
Required Battery:2s 800mAH or 3s 450mAH

The Torrent 110 pulls double duty as a great next-step platform for intermediate quad pilots, while satisfying the performance needs of more advanced racers and freestyle pilots. Packaged as a BNF (bind and fly) 110mm quad, the Torrent 110 comes with everything except a flight battery, Spektrum transmitter, and receiver/pair of FPV goggles, in a package just shy of $200.

In this review, I'll join up with racer Lonnie King as he pilots the Torrent 110 on 2s and 3s LiPo power. Let's get started!

Fit and Finish - What's Included

The Torrent 110 comes with quality components and electronics. It's ready to bind to your Spektrum 6+ Channel DSMX/DSM2 transmitter, and the micro F3 flight controller is Betaflight configured, tuned, and ready for use.

The frame is 2mm thick carbon fiber, with the esc board and flight board stacked at the center. Everything fit's nicely under the durable plastic cover, which is easily removable by unscrewing a pair of hex-head bolts on either side. The prop guards are plastic and provide decent protection for the propellers, making the Torrent 110 safe for flying indoors. The propeller guards can be removed, but shorter M2x4 motor bolts must be used.

Blade went with 1104 7600Kv brushless motors that bear the THRUST name on the side. They provide adequate power on 2s LiPo, and plenty of punch on 3s. The motors get power from the 4-in-1 ESC board with BLHeli firmware. The 3-blade propellers are 2" diameter and have industry-standard 1.5mm mounting holes.

On the side of the plastic case is a slot for plugging in a micro USB (adjusting Betaflight) and cooling slots on the top. Additionally, a slot is cut out for depressing the VTx channel button without removing the cover, making FPV channel adjustments in the field a snap.

Blade crammed in a nice Spektrum telemetry receiver that's friendly with voltages from 4 to 8.4v. The antennas are routed up through the plastic cover to provide optimal reception.

The 150Mw VTX features 32 channels across 5 bands (FS/IRC, A, B, E, and Raceband), with LED's that correspond to your chosen frequency. Press the button to cycle through the channels, and long-press to change bands. The 600TVL camera has adjustable tilt and 120-degree field-of-view.

Initial Setup

The Torrent 110's manual includes a very convenient transmitter guide that makes initial setup a very painless affair; just follow the steps and fly! Binding was also easy; I pushed the bind button on the side of the F3 flight controller, then powered up my DX9 with its bind button pushed.

Flight Performance

The Torrent 110 can be powered with a beginner-friendly 2s 800mAh LiPo, or a more potent 3s 450mAh LiPo for increased performance at the expense of slightly shorter flight times. The stock settings of the F3 flight controller proved to be a great starting point for the average pilot, with no need to adjust gains.

Torrent 110 With 2s 800mAh

The 2s LiPo provides decent punch and forward-speed while maintaining a level of control needed for anyone learning to fly consistently. Flight times are right at the suggested 3-minute mark, and post flight analysis of the 2s 800mAH LiPo showed roughly 20% remaining.

Torrent 110 With 3s 450mAh

If you've graduated basic flight-training and want to begin to explore the limits of the Torrent 110, a 3s 450mAh LiPo is the answer. With the increased voltage comes stronger climb outs, faster flips, and increased stopping power after a fall. But with the increased power comes an increased desire to put your foot in the gas, so to speak! Flight times with generous use of the throttle stick were a little under 3 minutes; we consistently saw times right around 2:30 and a fully drained battery. Given the great flight performance with the 3s 450mAh, you could easily increase to a 3s 650mAh up to an 800mAh without too much loss in punch from the additional weight of the battery.

With both packs, the Torrent 110 came down with motors that were cool to the touch.

FPV System

The 150mw 5.8GHz Spektrum transmitter provided great coverage, even through some trees on the far end of the park. Paired with a set of Fatshark goggles running a True-D diversity receiver, the signal held strong, albeit a few standard glitches here and there. The camera, with its 120-degree FOV and 600 lines of resolution, served up a great looking image with no noticeable issues handling light and dark transitions.

One area of concern was CMOS frame "jello" that was present, due to some vibrations that transferred through the frame and up to the camera. The vibrations were present throughout the flights, and most noticeable during heavy throttle use. They in no way affected the ability to see ahead while piloting, in my opinion.

Flight Video Review

Blade Torrent 110 - RCGroups Flight Review (6 min 8 sec)

Photos

Conclusion

The Blade Torrent 110 is a potent little mini quad that's equally at home teaching a new pilot the ropes, or hammering through gates and freestyling at the hands of a more seasoned pilot. It's priced nicely under $200, and comes completely ready to fly and tuned - all that's needed is a suitable Spektrum transmitter, a receiver/goggles of your choice, and a 2s 800mAh or 3s 450mAh LiPo. As evident in the flight review video, the Torrent 110 handles well and would definitely make a great edition to your hangar.

Thanks for reading my review, and thanks to Lonnie King for piloting the Torrent 110 during the photo and video shoot.

RCGroups Review Policy

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Oct 25, 2017 at 11:15 AM..
Oct 26, 2017, 05:54 AM
I love mine. I did have to return one that completely died after less than 20 packs but the new one seems good so far.

I tweaked my last one in BF but this new one I'm just flying completely stock out the box and it's great, no messing, just BNF to my DX9 and go rip!

Camera isn't the greatest but gets the job done. For the prices of HH stuff these days I would like to see something like a Runcam mini/micro (whichever one fits) on board, maybe HH could team up with them to fit their cameras to Blade Quads?

Flies like my bigger 5 inch quads, great little model!
Oct 30, 2017, 01:26 AM
Arent drones supposed to be powered on flat?
I cant do that with this drone!
How do tou guys avoid the torrent shifting to the front or sides?
Oct 30, 2017, 02:12 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
From what I understand it flies well, but tends to be quite power hungry when it comes to battery life.

I wonder if it was overlooked, or done on purpose, to put this 110 size in the 150 and up subforum?
Oct 30, 2017, 05:09 AM
No, no need to have it flat during power on.

This isn't the only bottom mounted battery quad on the market so not sure why you would think it's a issue.

Try not to cross post either.
Oct 30, 2017, 09:22 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
horizon has these on sale now for 160. I picked one up couple weeks back. great flying quad but does need some tweaks. stock props are lousy and upgraded those immediately. removed the indoor prop guards and she flies so much smoother and faster now. also the pids are incorrect and the top end of the throttle shakes. pid changes are needed to correct the issue. after these adjustments, the 110 flies great. moves along with good power through the bushes and trees of my neighborhood. as3x makes it feel like a large quad and its very stable to rip around aggressively. could use a micro ccd cam instead of the cmos but still ok on vis... wish it had minimal osd , Volts. if you hit LV it falls out of the air quickly. scrapped on battery already from hitting the ground,,, bottom mount packs.

3 minute flights on 3s 450mah 45c..
Last edited by stoneenforcer; Oct 30, 2017 at 09:28 AM.
Oct 30, 2017, 09:25 AM
Powering on can be in any angle. Arming might require it to be somewhat level though, depending on Small Angle value set in BetaFlight.
Oct 30, 2017, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans
No, no need to have it flat during power on.

This isn't the only bottom mounted battery quad on the market so not sure why you would think it's a issue.

Try not to cross post either.
Because this is my first one.
Thank you.
Oct 30, 2017, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Powering on can be in any angle. Arming might require it to be somewhat level though, depending on Small Angle value set in BetaFlight.
Thank you, I appreciate the reply.
Nov 04, 2017, 10:48 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
I toasted an ESC after only 10 flights. Horizon pretty much told me "Tough Luck . If it flew First Flight...Warranty was covered ! "

From what I read on other post, HH knew about poor ESC problems
Nov 05, 2017, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC
I toasted an ESC after only 10 flights. Horizon pretty much told me "Tough Luck . If it flew First Flight...Warranty was covered ! "

From what I read on other post, HH knew about poor ESC problems

Even some cheap webshops offer better warranty sometimes. I think the high current draw of the Torrent stresses the ESC more than needed. When comparing flight times so similar quads, the Torrent flies much shorter on the same battery. Like getting 4 minutes on a 2S 950mAh, where for instance the Leader 120 flies something like 4 minutes on a 2S 550mAh.