Sep 18, 2017, 12:29 PM
Thread OP
Alert

Great Planes PT-19 Sport Scale .46 GP/EP ARF

I have always liked the looks of this plane. The size and price seem like a great deal.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGULK&P=ML
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2017, 12:54 PM
DFS#000178
I'm loving this resurgence in balsa planes!

Keep 'em coming!
Sep 19, 2017, 10:29 AM
Arrowhead
It has me tempted too. I like that the decals are not pre-applied! If I get one I may re-cover the rudder in yellow and apply Norwegian markings.
Sep 20, 2017, 01:05 AM
The PT-19 makes a good flying airplane in pretty much any size. I have the E-Flight PT-19 and am very pleased with it. The Blue and yellow color scheme really "pops" in the air. I think this new Tower Hobbies will be on my list as well.
Sep 20, 2017, 07:43 AM
A man with too many toys
I have always wanted a mid-size PT-19. Eflite stopped production before I could get one.

The GP PT-19 looks to be an improvement over the old Eflite design. That will definitely be on my list of airplanes to get. I have a couple of similar size airplanes from Tower/GP and have been very happy with the high quality of construction. Looking forward to some flight reports.

Great Planes PT-19: Raw Performance (1 min 34 sec)

Sep 23, 2017, 11:53 AM
A man with too many toys
I have pre-ordered one.

Any thoughts on a power system?
Will Rimfire 32 with a 4s 3300 LiPo be enough?

Sep 23, 2017, 12:42 PM
Thread OP
I just ordered one and I plan to use the same setup but with a 4000mah battery. It should be plenty of power for a plane like this.
Last edited by FlyBigElectric; Oct 01, 2017 at 06:43 AM.
Sep 25, 2017, 09:53 AM
With a 13X8 on the RF32 and 4s it's powered very well. Vertical is more than needed, and it doesn't run out of it. I'd bet it would probably be very nice and easy to fly in a sportscale manner on 3s but I don't think that's been done. although very out of character, it's a nice sport aerobatic plane with any combination of loops,squares, point rolls, slow rolls, stall turns, etc. i only got to fly it a couple times at the NEAT fair because Dan and Shulman kept flying it, and it was linked to dan's transmitter.
Latest blog entry: blog
Sep 25, 2017, 10:12 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRIGHT
With a 13X8 on the RF32 and 4s it's powered very well. Vertical is more than needed, and it doesn't run out of it. I'd bet it would probably be very nice and easy to fly in a sportscale manner on 3s but I don't think that's been done. although very out of character, it's a nice sport aerobatic plane with any combination of loops,squares, point rolls, slow rolls, stall turns, etc. i only got to fly it a couple times at the NEAT fair because Dan and Shulman kept flying it, and it was linked to dan's transmitter.
Thanks for the info - do you still expect to ship in a week or two?

Sep 25, 2017, 11:13 AM
On the system it appears it will be here then but arrival dates are of course always a moving target.
forgot to mention battery sizes. Saw the question above about 3300's. Should be fine. I know I flew it with 3350's and Dan and Jason4350's. PLENTY of room to move battery around for cg. personally I'd go with 4350's because I have some of those and use them in rimfire 32 powered aircraft. They give a nice balance of duration and low weight. At neat fair we had timers at 5 or 6 minutes on most everything so we could pick up any 4s pack for those planes and any 3s pack in the charged pile for 3s planes,.. without the capacity being of concern. If you don't necessarily need or want unlimited vertical you could always go with a smaller prop and use the left stick appropriately to get pretty long flights on smaller packs.
Latest blog entry: blog
Sep 25, 2017, 11:23 AM
Arrowhead
I have my eye on this plane, possibly for purchase before the 2018 flying season.

My thanks to GP for not giving up on Balsa planes, and warbirds in particular, in this size!
Oct 06, 2017, 05:49 AM
Thread OP
The ship time changed to late October. The Sbach date did that too and suddenly showed as in stock the next day. Hopefully it's the same and the PT-19 ships today or Monday.
Oct 07, 2017, 07:49 AM
Donate Platelets
This PT-19 looks good. I hope it does not have a flat bottomed airfoil.
Oct 07, 2017, 07:55 AM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHSoars
This PT-19 looks good. I hope it does not have a flat bottomed airfoil.
If you look at the manual page 7 it looks like it has a real nice airfoil perfect for aerobatics.
http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpma1212-manual.pdf

Oct 10, 2017, 08:36 AM
Thread OP
Now TH shows mid October. Hopefully shipping next week.

Quick Reply