Roban scale main and tail rotor head slop. - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 18, 2017, 11:34 AM
Discussion

Roban scale main and tail rotor head slop.

Okay, I have had this Roban Super Scale 700 size Bell 429 for a few years now. And for the most part, it flys pretty good. I haven't had any major issues with it. However, one thing that has always bothered me is the slop/play in both the main and tail rotor heads. I have always wondered if any one has bothered to overhaul them and take the slop/play out of them? If so, I'd be interested to hear the methods people have used. My first guess is installing better quality bearings?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2017, 10:54 PM
A geriatric flier
I am just finishing my build and did notice a lot of slop in the tail rotor. I had this problem on my Trex 600 and I shimmed the umbrells gears at the front end of the drive tube so they meshed a little tighter. I was thinking of looking to see if I could do this on the Bell.

I am not happy with the acute angle of the ball link to the slide on the tail. When I fitted them everyone of my links cracked. These are not so easy to replace as the links are special. I was not impressed with the ball links on the head and after setting up the head I ended up replacing the the balls and links on the servos to QuickUK links. I also think the geometry of the ball links on the head and tail where they are all at an angle to the balls when in a neutral position is a very poor design.

My problem now is to find spare tail links. I would like to replace the balls on the tail slide to ones on a longer stem so as to reduce the angle but I cannot find any to fit the Roban links from my spares for my Trex 600, 700, Furion and Kasama.

PS The instructions do call for shimming the front end umbrella gears on the vertical shaft and I did this but I still need to shim the length of the torque tube to tighten up the meshing of the umbrella gears at the tail.
Last edited by Watdazit; Nov 04, 2017 at 12:27 AM. Reason: PS added and added other words.