Curtiss Jenny - RC Groups
Sep 17, 2017, 06:39 PM
Discussion

Curtiss Jenny

Several years ago I drew up plans for a sport scale Curtiss Jenny. There was an element of perversity in this as here in Oz there are plenty of British and German WWI aircraft but I hadn't seen a Jenny here for some years. It was intended to be lightweight and kept simple so I started construction but then my wife became ill and modelling tended to take a back seat.

Recently I got back into the Jenny and though not complete yet I'm hoping it will be within a month or two.

She is 80" span and I'm aiming for 6 -7 pounds AUW on 4S.

Ask any questions if you wish.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2017, 11:17 PM
Impressive engine work!

Martin
Sep 18, 2017, 05:17 PM
I miss President Reagan
Nice.

That engine looks like it came from the Proctor kit. Proctors Jenny has an 87 inch wing so the two of you are close. Just for your reference, a Proctor Jenny runs right at 10-11 pounds.
Sep 18, 2017, 06:36 PM
Yes, I was aware of the Proctor Jenny having built a couple of Antics myself. My thanks go to Joe Topper for such a lovely kit (the engine) and although my model is a touch smaller it seems to look right. I was looking for simple and lightweight in mine but sufficiently flashy to show off at the field. How egotistical can you be!!!

The wings will hold on with rubber bands and the top wing is split in the centre for storage and easy of fitting in the car.

I'll send in a couple more photos as I go.
Sep 26, 2017, 09:02 PM
Hello, David!

Beautiful workmanship. Your professional model building experience definitely shows. Very much looking forward to following along with your progress.

Chris
Sep 27, 2017, 06:44 PM
As you can see from a few photos I am moving slowly forward. It's a funny thing but finishing the model and the enjoyment through the build almost seems more than the idea of flying it although I know I want to.

As it stands that model is close to where I think the CG should be when the battery is in place. When I get the wings covered and the struts in place I'll figure out exactly where it should be. Luckily, should I need it I still have space beside the motor to put in some lead (just hope not much).

Maybe some people would think me a bit crazy getting as far as I have with the fuselage but still with the wings to cover. Can only say that the work has spurred me on a bit where I otherwise might have lagged.
Sep 30, 2017, 12:57 PM
I miss President Reagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hipperson
As you can see from a few photos I am moving slowly forward. It's a funny thing but finishing the model and the enjoyment through the build almost seems more than the idea of flying it although I know I want to.

As it stands that model is close to where I think the CG should be when the battery is in place. When I get the wings covered and the struts in place I'll figure out exactly where it should be. Luckily, should I need it I still have space beside the motor to put in some lead (just hope not much).

Maybe some people would think me a bit crazy getting as far as I have with the fuselage but still with the wings to cover. Can only say that the work has spurred me on a bit where I otherwise might have lagged.
Dave, if you want I'll check the CG on one of my Proctor kits and let you know. Should give you a good starting point I would think.
Oct 01, 2017, 07:08 PM
Would really appreciate that. Thank you very much.

Wings are well on the way but as with all things the details tend to take the most thought. In my case, a simple way of installing the struts without taking too much time during assembly/break down at the field.
Oct 02, 2017, 01:32 PM
I miss President Reagan
David, My top wing has a 10 inch cord. The plans show the CG is 3.5 inches back from the leading edge. I run mine closer to 3.25. Either way it's 32-35% of the top wing cord. Or, if you do it right and measure the effective cord of both wings, I get something just short of 13 inches total cord on mine and the CG now sits 25-27%.

Quick disconnect when both wings are one piece? How about a pin from the end of each strut that goes into a matching socket in the wing? Then a single functional cable from the top of the front strut to the bottom of the rear to pull the wings together at that strut location. Four cables to connect or disconnect and off they come. You might want a couple of cables at the center section too.
Oct 09, 2017, 06:32 AM
Beautiful plane, lovely to see the pics. Will follow with interest your wing attachment solution as I think I may need consider a similar solution for the hawker demon.