Sebart MythoS 50 or Extreme Flight Vanquish V2 48" - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 17, 2017, 06:13 PM
Discussion

Sebart MythoS 50 or Extreme Flight Vanquish V2 48"

It may well have been asked, but ...

Is there much between these two models?

Looking to get into pattern flying (currently flying EF Edge 60 and MXS 64) and have sort of narrowed it down to these two. There's quite a difference in total cost once all the gear's installed. Is that difference noticeable in flying?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2017, 09:54 PM
Both are very good airplanes that fly very well. Pick the one that fits best into your budget. You may want to consider the 60" AJAcuity if you think you will be moving to 2M pattern. You can use some of the parts on the bigger plane. My advice is that you work with someone who is flying pattern and have him/her help you setup the airplane. Just because it is a pattern plane doesn't mean that it magically flies well out of the box. You can make a pattern plane fly horribly if you don't take the time to set it up. On that note the Sebart Planes have an advantage in that they don't require much tinkering out of the box. But regardless, you still have work to do once everything is installed. Get a throw meter and make sure your surfaces match. Also it is important that when setting up the servos you use the hole closest to the screw. You are looking for precise movements of the surface. Coming from 3D you may be tempted to use the outer holes on the arm and then limit movement through the radio. In pattern you set everything mechanically before you set limits on the radio.. Hope this helps.
Ken
Sep 18, 2017, 02:07 AM
Really useful, thanks.
As often, budget may dictate my choice.
I have been tempted to buy a throw meter, but so many different types, which one?
Sep 18, 2017, 02:33 AM
Bo Edström, Sweden
Hi,
There are digital and mechanical throw meters.
I have used only digital but some of the mechanical are also good what I have read.

Before I used a Hangar 9 Angle Pro Digital inclinometer. I used double sided tape on underside so I could place it gently on control urface and it stayed there during measurments. I believe Hangar 9 Angle Pro is discontinued and can be hard to find.
http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...?ProdID=HAN193
Since some years I use Xicoy Digital (weight, balance and) angle meter. It is rather expensive but I use it also for weight and CG measurment.
https://www.xicoy.com/catalog/index....c1f600f38037c2
And this sensor angle mount:
https://www.ultimate-jets.net/collec...-sensor-mounts
These adhesive squares to hold the angle sensor in the case and on measured surface
http://www.prittworld.ca/en/consumer...ulti-tack.html

This mechanical Miracle RC Throw Meter should probably work just fine to start with:
https://www.engelmt.de/mttools/throw-meter
(many resellers seems to have this throw meter out of stock but above have it in stock)

/Bo
Last edited by bossee; Sep 18, 2017 at 02:48 AM.
Sep 18, 2017, 03:05 AM
The two planes you mention are quite different in size, 62" wing span for the Sebart and 48" for the Extreme Flight. The Sebart would be a 6S setup the Extreme Flight 3S or 4S.

I have the Mythos 50E and really like it, but it's my first pattern plane so how it compares to others I cannot say. I did have an Extreme Flight Extra 48, and it was noticeably smaller!

With the Sebart I ignored the 3D throws and mechanically reduced them as much as possible so that I had as much precision as I could get. I wish Sebart would throw in two sets of control surface horns, some for 3D and a longer set for precision.
Sep 18, 2017, 06:03 AM
SAB
SAB
Between the 2 get the Mythos 50 - bigger flies better and in this case the difference is significant
Owned the Vanquish 48" in 2007, good intro into electrics but then moved on to Sebart Angel 50 in 2008 - so much better. Vanquish was a fun plane but got blown around too much in the wind.
Have owned several Sebart pattern planes, all very good, as others have said you don't need 3D throws though.
I have seen a few Mythos 50's flown in entry level competition, they all fly well.
I also flew a Mythos 125 for several years, very good pattern plane.

Steve
Sep 19, 2017, 03:39 PM
Thanks all - maybe a few more months saving necessary.

I tend to agree - the Mythos does tick all the boxes more, apart from the extra cost, but you get what you pay for.
Sep 20, 2017, 10:30 AM
I have used the CRC throw meter for a long time. One could be built out of a clothespin and scrap wood.
Sep 21, 2017, 02:04 PM
Julian T
I am an EF fan but would still recommend the Mythos 50. The number does not refer to wingspan! The Vanquish 48 is a fine model but small. If you were looking at the larger Vanquish I might speak differently (I have both larger Vanquish and Mythos 50) but the Mythos 50 is a league away from the smaller Vanquish. The Mythos 50 is a fine model and even punches above its size. One is a 4s model, one a 6s - enough said.

Julian
Sep 21, 2017, 02:31 PM
Julian, I think you're right.
I haven't flown any 48" models since I started flying the Edge 60 and MXS 64, apart from a few foamies.
I think I've convinced myself that if I do buy a pattern ship, it'll will be the Mythos 50.