Got Whipit? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 16, 2017, 03:37 PM
DLG Fan
Discussion

Got Whipit?

For you Whipit owners, here is an old but useful post on how to setup, trim and fly the Whipit.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...26&postcount=1
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2017, 07:56 PM
Yes, so many good advices there. Thank you for sharing!

I hold the wingtip between the thumb on one side, and the two knuckles of the index finger on the other side. I find this way to be less prone to premature releases and easier to control the angle of attack.

Or you can cheat like this:
Sep 18, 2017, 02:47 PM
DLG Fan

Washout

Not mentioned in the above post is washout.

Every Whipit that I have purchased came with unequal washout in their wingtips, causing them to bank to one side. Some had washout in one tip and washin in the other. My solution is to store the Whipit with one of its wings, weighted down on a flat surface and with a shim under its wing tip. This slow, gentle process equalizes washout without stressing the wing.
Sep 18, 2017, 05:11 PM
Hello,
What am I doing wrong.?
I throw the Whippit into the air and at the top of it’s climb it inverts. There is no problem getting it right side up, but I lose a good 10 to 15 feet. It is fine after that.
A hand toss produces a nice long straight glide.
The CG is set a little ahead of recommended.
This is my first DLG, so I assume I am doing something wrong throwing it.
Suggests?
Thank you
Sep 18, 2017, 06:26 PM
After the throw, grab the right stick quickly and push the elevator down before the plane stalls at the top of the climb.
Sep 19, 2017, 10:33 PM
DLG Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamalbert
Hello,
What am I doing wrong.?
I throw the Whippit into the air and at the top of it’s climb it inverts. There is no problem getting it right side up, but I lose a good 10 to 15 feet. It is fine after that.
A hand toss produces a nice long straight glide.
The CG is set a little ahead of recommended.
This is my first DLG, so I assume I am doing something wrong throwing it.
Suggests?
Thank you
Try item #3 in the subject article:

"3. With your radio, setup a climb mode for the elevator. This will be held through the climb, so it should not be on a momentary switch. Start with the elevator just slightly—less than 1mm—down from the best glide position. It will possibly end with the elevator between 1.0 and 1.5mm down from the best glide position. Of course, this depends on the CG and resulting best stabilizer glide position. Adjust the elevator climb position so that the glider will climb slightly on a hard horizontal throw. This is similar to the dive test for a larger DLG."