This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 04, 2018, 12:29 PM
Lithium Member
Ralph Schneider decal sets for the A-4 Skyhawk :

https://www.tailormadedecals.com/lng...hawk/?count=48

to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2018, 12:41 PM
Lithium Member
I thought I posted this before, but here is a picture of my wood block nose gear back stop.

It reduces the play in the nose gear strut a bit, which in the long run can cause the steel pin to bend ...

I have been using a similar trick in some other jets over the years, it helps with long struts, the short and stubby ones do fine without it usually.

Jun 02, 2018, 03:12 PM
Lithium Member
After ten months of flying the A-4 the sun, dust grime & salt corrosion have really taken their toll,

Jun 03, 2018, 01:25 PM
Lithium Member
Pictures of the original (here during the Falklands / Malvinas war) show a badly worn & dirty aircraft ... Good quality color photos from that time are few and blurry.

The restored aircraft on the other hand are now in a museum - where they have been repainted and restored to showroom condition ... the latter is often far from the way they looked under operational conditions.

The same applies I am sure to many other jets or generally aircraft (eg Bf-109's or MiG-15 or ...) that showed heavy operational use during certain times vs. that spotless shiny museum display.

Of course which one you like better in a model is entirely a matter of taste !

Jun 09, 2018, 02:45 PM
Lithium Member
It seems that there is a possiblity that in the long run some retract ant-rotation pins might snap ...

Has not happened to me yet even though I do fly from a pretty rough dirt field ... the spring trailing links & large wheels on the mains seem to help.

The nosegear steering was abit loose on mine, the tiller arm moved (in spite of loctite) and so possibly the servo end.

So I added some hysol epoxy here and there to keep things in place for a while, I hate it when you take off and the steering is off

The YEP 150A ESC died as well (for no apparent reason) so it was time for some smoothing out of the duct work, specifically the inside side of the cheesegrater intake foam plug.

Jun 21, 2018, 01:37 PM
Lithium Member
After almost a year of flying, found the time to add some more very light detailing, mostly some additional light panel lines and a few rivets here and there ,

Jul 02, 2018, 01:13 PM
Lithium Member
Another good flight this past Saturday

4K video is probably best viewed on a tv.

A-4 Skyhawk by Freewing - FMS 80mm fan 4K (3 min 2 sec)
Jul 07, 2018, 10:26 AM
Looks seriously bad ass Herb. Well done.
Jul 07, 2018, 12:26 PM
Lithium Member
Thanks !! Freewing did a good job on this one !
Jul 16, 2018, 12:57 PM
Lithium Member
Jack's bone stock out-of-the box Freewing outrunner setup flies his A-4 nicely as well,

A-4 Skyhawk 80mm EDF by Freewing 4K (3 min 37 sec)
Jul 20, 2018, 02:27 PM
Lithium Member
A few frames from the 4K video,

Jul 31, 2018, 07:40 AM
Fly as high as the sun
Herb,

Do you mind some questions about the A4 vs Mig-21? Since you are flying both for a while already I'd like to hear your opinion.

I will either buy the FW Mig-21 or FW A4 in 2 weeks.

Since I fly of grass I'd like to hear your experience on the landing gear of both.

- Is the twist and turn retract mechanism of the A4 mains less reliable enough on grass strips ?

- Do you have any problems with the front strut of the A4 since it's longer than the strut on the Mig21 ?

Which plane would you recommend most? I know you use a wood block nose gear back stop -> great idea btw which I'll use on a couple of my planes :-)

Thanks in advance mate!
Aug 11, 2018, 11:28 AM
Lithium Member
Hi I2, sorry for the delay ... checking RCG only every other day or so

I like both of them, maybe the A-4 is more fun to fly since you can really "turn and burn" on that one ... My flying buddy Doug who is a Horizon Team & large turbine pilot on the other hand likes the MiG-21 better, says it flies better than the A-4 ... go figure Speed is about the same, the A-4 with plugged cheater has better ducting.

The MiG-21 gear is very rugged as you say, the nose one is short and strong. I never had an issue with any of the MiG-21 gear or anything for that matter. You can really slam this one on a landing !

Yes you are right, the A-4 gear is a bit more delicate. The nose gear is long and spindly, the rear mains are rotating - with anti rotation pins.

Nevertheless I have been flying the A-4 for almost a year now (we fly all year in sunny Ca) and had zero issues ... I think it is really a good design. Ok maybe the nose strut now has some slop but as you say I have a wood block backstop.

So in conclusion, go with the one you like, but don't slam the A-4 on landing
Aug 13, 2018, 09:35 AM
Fly as high as the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
Hi I2, sorry for the delay ... checking RCG only every other day or so

I like both of them, maybe the A-4 is more fun to fly since you can really "turn and burn" on that one ... My flying buddy Doug who is a Horizon Team & large turbine pilot on the other hand likes the MiG-21 better, says it flies better than the A-4 ... go figure Speed is about the same, the A-4 with plugged cheater has better ducting.

The MiG-21 gear is very rugged as you say, the nose one is short and strong. I never had an issue with any of the MiG-21 gear or anything for that matter. You can really slam this one on a landing !

Yes you are right, the A-4 gear is a bit more delicate. The nose gear is long and spindly, the rear mains are rotating - with anti rotation pins.

Nevertheless I have been flying the A-4 for almost a year now (we fly all year in sunny Ca) and had zero issues ... I think it is really a good design. Ok maybe the nose strut now has some slop but as you say I have a wood block backstop.

So in conclusion, go with the one you like, but don't slam the A-4 on landing
Hello Herb, nvm this info was definitely worth waiting for :-)

I really appreciate this kind of information :-)

I'm leaning towards a Mig-21 for the moment, though the A4 has slightly larger wheels which might help on grass. Anyways, if I buy the Mig-21 now, the A4 will follow for sure haha :-)

Thanks again!
Aug 13, 2018, 12:37 PM
Lithium Member
Thanks ... The wheels are maybe a bit bigger on the A-4 but not by much?

I forgot to say that the A-4 takes off almost by itself after a very short run ... has to do with the mains location close to the CG, it rotates very easily.

The MiG-21 has a much longer takeoff run, I pull full elevator toward the end of the runway. The mains are further back from the CG, and the elevators are comparatively small.

Either one, great designs! Keep in mind that almost all A-4 schemes are gray, the MiG-21 you can pick any color or camo !

If you are into grass field operations, the FW 90mm Phantom would be a good choice too.

Quick Reply