Sep 15, 2017, 06:51 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Mini DLG Pro missing part or changed design?

So I purchased a Mini DLG pro, and the install instructions show two small balsa circles to reinforce the wing where the launch peg goes in. Trouble is, the launch peg shown is flat, whereas mine is round, and either I never got the small disks, I've buried them in amongst my RC parts somewhere, or my wife threw them away when she tossed out the packing box before I got to look at it.

Either way, I have a round peg, and no reinforcing pieces.

Is this a new design that doesn't need the reinforcing? If not, can I substitute something for the reinforcing easily? I have no spare balsa. Piece of thick card, hot glue? Anything?

Thanks.
Russell.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2017, 08:07 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerangRuss View Post
So I purchased a Mini DLG pro, and the install instructions show two small balsa circles to reinforce the wing where the launch peg goes in. Trouble is, the launch peg shown is flat, whereas mine is round, and either I never got the small disks, I've buried them in amongst my RC parts somewhere, or my wife threw them away when she tossed out the packing box before I got to look at it.

Either way, I have a round peg, and no reinforcing pieces.

Is this a new design that doesn't need the reinforcing? If not, can I substitute something for the reinforcing easily? I have no spare balsa. Piece of thick card, hot glue? Anything?

Thanks.
Russell.
Hi Russell,

Without knowing more details it is hard to offer a truly sound solution. One thing you could try is brown paper like from a grocery bag. It is normally pretty coarse so it will absorb CA or epoxy pretty well. The key is to use something that will absorb some adhesive so it can distribute the load of the peg to a larger area.

If you were here in the US I could simply pop an envelope in the mail with some cloth to do the job.
Sep 15, 2017, 08:36 PM
Just here for the pie.
Hi Russel.

Mine didn't come with them either. I ended up carefully cutting away some of the covering film around the peg hole and using a mix of epoxy and balsa dust (just use coarse sandpaper (60 grit or so) on balsa) to support the peg. It's been solid enough so far that I cracked the boom before the peg showed any sign of weakness.

Edit: Set it up using the throws Thomas Lee details in the GO Mini thread and it'll fly less like a brick.

Edit 2: Then when you've flown the heck out of it, buy an Epee or a GO Mini.

Cheers!
Randall
Last edited by randall_l; Sep 15, 2017 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added detail
Sep 16, 2017, 12:14 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the ideas.

So I tried glueing icecream sticks together, but that looked too bulky. So I'm starting with 4 layers of paper towels each soaked in CA. Waiting for it to dry, just not sure if 4 layers is enough, and whether the ragged edges (hand-cut circle) might lift off.

Russell.
Sep 17, 2017, 04:17 PM
Lift is where you find it.
Patches of 1/64" ply (sorry- don't know what the metric equivalent is) have worked well for me in this application. Nothing really wrong with a round peg on a small glider either.

Quick Reply