Culper Junior
Video

Actual combat footage of Guillows Aircraft

Don't say you weren't warned.

Balsa Wood Planes (5 min 15 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2017, 12:10 PM

Cute but I saw a real Guillows Javelin flying this week

I was flying at the Detroit Cloudbusters FAC Outdoor meet in Muncie this week and a fellow had a Guillows Javelin flying well. I guess it was entered in Old Time Rubber Stick. I got a picture. Only animation or PhotoShopping done was cropping out a near by golf cart. I know it was a Javelin, since it matches the box art on a Javelin kit sitting by my work bench.
Last edited by DuPageJoe; Sep 16, 2017 at 12:16 PM.
Sep 16, 2017, 01:29 PM
Culper Junior
Joe,
I've also had a Javelin for many years, (and an Arrow)mine is yellow and green. Properly built, the Javelin, Arrow, and Lancer are great schoolyard flyers. Guillows has a bad rep for their wood, but I think that is all history now.
Sep 17, 2017, 12:47 AM
B for Bruce
That series of Guillows designs isn't all THAT old. Certainly not old enough to qualify as an "old timer" under the SAM rules.

These designs were introduced somewhere around the early to mid 1970's. Along with them were the long landing gear versions of a Super Cub and a Fairchild 24.

I built the Fairchild and it was the first Guillows kit that had really good light balsa suitable for a rubber model. It didn't fly all that well due to my inexperience at the time and the woefully heavy hardwood wheels it came with. But if replaced with light balsa wheels the model would have been capable of flying well.
Sep 17, 2017, 06:27 AM
Culper Junior
Bruce,
I don't know what SAM qualifies as an old timer but I'm pretty sure these kits were around already in the mid 60's if not a bit earlier. There are two kits in my stash which came with wood Paulowina props.
Jim
Sep 17, 2017, 11:25 AM
Bruce and Jim
Copyright notice on my Javelin plan says 1966. That isn't old enough for the 1946 design rule in the FAC rulebook, but the Javelin is surely in the spirit of those old time designs. I might have witnessed a "Just for Fun" flight at Muncie. Those are allowed. With the modern scoring records on Excel spreadsheets, a column for asterisks might be added. The asterisks could include "Just for Fun" or "No Kanones" planes. At 51 years, the Javelin design is surely approaching Old timer status, but isn't likely to beat the competition sticks of the '30's, with their stronger motors and bigger props, even without folding.
Sep 18, 2017, 01:16 AM
Short answer for current SAM is 1950. If I recall it too was 1946 until just a few years ago. I think there have been some recent changes in allowing some relatively recent (for SAM) designs in AMA classic gas 1/2A, A/B and B/C.
Last edited by TRuss; Sep 18, 2017 at 09:59 AM.
Sep 20, 2017, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuPageJoe
Bruce and Jim
Copyright notice on my Javelin plan says 1966. snip
Seems like that would be the last possible date for the style of art on the box. I used to have a couple of those boxes in my living room just to look at. I've built a Javelin, too. It flew amazingly well considering the thick airfoil, the narrow chord, and that it was built from such heavy wood.

------------
aeronca52:
That footage is amazingly silly. I noticed none of the models reached much altitude. I suspect they would have if given wider rubber. I also think the voice actors should have been given more coffee. ;-) Thanks for an amusing 5 minutes.
Sep 20, 2017, 08:45 AM
Culper Junior
Lincoln,
Watching that vid I thought it was a class project in digital taping (or whatever it's proper name is) using a casual walk in the woods superimposed with the models and erasing the hands holding them. At any rate, somewhere out there are a few Aeronautical minded young people, the future of our hobby.
Sep 28, 2017, 06:11 AM
aeronca:

I wouldn't be surprised if the director for that little flick was 75 years old.

---------

Someplace, there is or was a full scale light airplane with a twisted rubber motor painted on the side. A Taylorcraft or Aeronca or something.

------------

warning: I wrote the following when I was up past my bed time:

BTW, when you fly on the airlines, the reason you board through a covered ramp is so you don't see the FAI Tan. Jets are all very well for the military, which doesn't have to make a profit, but do you really think an airline could be operated inexpensively when it was sucking up so much fuel? Do you really think FAI would concoct such great rubber just for modelers? Those nacelles are empty except for special noisemakers. All the action is going on up front. The reason Sully had to land in the Hudson is that geese got caught up in the knots and jammed the prop. Sometimes they slip up at the airport and you can see someone really big, carrying a very large hand drill with a hook on the end. I hear the guy who does this at the airport in Bismarck is named Paul.
Sep 28, 2017, 08:26 AM
Culper Junior
Someplace, there is or was a full scale light airplane with a twisted rubber motor painted on the side. A Taylorcraft or Aeronca or something.

I saw that at Oshkosh years back.
Oct 15, 2017, 05:41 AM
Well done and entertaining video!

ScratchBuildrSAM