Eindeker 30" Peter Rake Design - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 15, 2017, 07:45 AM
Build Log

Eindeker 30" Peter Rake Design

Hi gents,

I have decided to start a build log of a Peter Rake Eindeker. I also have a BUSA Bristol on the go but was keen to get going with this Parkflyer too.

Any advice greatly appreciated - it's a while since I have built RC planes.

I have started on the cowl first - a strange place I know but I spotted a nice photo on the net of one and decided to go for it....... it's an old cap for a plan tube, cut down, dremeled and then sanded smooth with 320, 400, 600 grit sandpaper. I primed it then airbrushed it with Tamiya chrome x11. I will be making my own decals. The Frechdachs is a decal template I made up using TurboCAD. I will print it on to clear waterslide decal paper.

Thank you,

Stewart
Last edited by Stewart1; Sep 15, 2017 at 08:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2017, 07:26 PM
Some progress now.

I have made a start on the fuselage sides and completed one wing. I may strengthen up the fuse sides with some thin spruce bracing - hopefully this won't cause too much weight.

Have drafted up a sketch of a radial engine I will maybe try to build using plastic tubes etc, or maybe not.

Regards,

Stewart
Sep 20, 2017, 03:27 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Nice progress Stewart. I am in the midst of a very slow build of a peanut sized stick and tissue Eindecker this end.
Sep 20, 2017, 04:39 AM
Thanks Nitro.

You are making a neat job.

Stewart
Sep 20, 2017, 01:58 PM
I've done the 25" and 48" Eindeckers by Peter and they are both great flyers. Yours looks great! Ray
Sep 21, 2017, 05:23 AM
Cheers Ray,

Stewart
Sep 21, 2017, 09:52 AM
Looking very nice, they are beautiful machines

Daniel
Oct 01, 2017, 06:49 AM
Have not managed to do much on the Eindeker lately but plan to get back to it soon.
In the meantime I have bought a 40w 10g motor, 2 cell Lipo and esc all from Hobby king as attached.

I still use a 35mhz transmitter system. Will hopefully upgrade to 2.4ghz soon. I am slightly concerned about the size / weight of my small 35mhz receiver although I'm sure it should be fine.
Does anybody know if a 2.4ghz receiver is a lot smaller / lighter or would it make much difference ?

Thank you,

Stewart
Oct 01, 2017, 08:19 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
The main thing for 2.4Ghz is it's reliability.
There are some really small rxers nowadays but for a 30"model, you really don't have to worry that much on Rx weight.
Oct 02, 2017, 05:06 AM
Great thank you Nitro.

I was thinking about strengthening the fuselage up a bit too with diagonal braces of 3/32 strips of spruce.

In terms of weight do you think that would be ok ?

Regards,

Stewart
Oct 02, 2017, 08:51 AM
I Hate Orange Props
That's the same motor I used in my Bf-110. Make sure it works. Haha. I had one that didn't work, and the replacement they sent also didn't work.
For a plane this size, around 50 grams would be ideal, but anything up to 80 grams could work.

Are you gonna experiment with wing-warping?
Oct 02, 2017, 01:39 PM
Thanks for that Micro.

I'll better check it's ok and working.
In regard to the motor wires - they are all black. Does it matter which one of the motor to esc wires connects to which.

I'll leave wing warping for another plane I think when I get my building confidence up. I have seen it working on a you tube clip of a larger Eiii and it looks awsome.

Regards,

Stewart
Oct 04, 2017, 12:25 PM
I Hate Orange Props
Yes, it does make a difference which way you arrange the wires. If you do it wrong, the motor might twitch, or it might run backwards. The only way to figure it out is through trial and error. Be careful with the motor leads, they are delicate. Cut around the rubber with an exacto knife before stripping the wires, and then twist them very carefully to the esc. Plug in the esc, and make sure that the motor goes in the right direction. If it doesn't, rearrange the wires and try again. When they go correctly, solder them, and be careful that the wires don't snap at the solder joint.
Oct 04, 2017, 02:59 PM
He's using the 10 gram motor, not the 5 gram motor. Only issue with lead connecting is rotation direction. There is no mechanical timing difference in either rotation direction, unlike brushed motors with brush timing offset from zero, for a specific rotation direction. Located forward, the gear weight will be needed anyway and likely some more added ballast, so not much concern about gear weight with an Eindecker, using this size of gear for a 30" model. For smaller subjects, a number of 6-7A ESCs work well with the 10gm HXT, lighter than 10-12A ESCs. The only reason I would use a larger ESC than 7A on a smaller micro, would be for the higher rated BEC.
Oct 05, 2017, 10:44 AM
Thank you for the advice and comments gents.

Duly noted.

Stewart