Tower Hobbies Piper Cherokee EP ARF - RC Groups

Tower Hobbies Piper Cherokee EP ARF

Tower Hobbies is offering a new Cherokee in a very manageable size. The Tower Hobbies Piper Cherokee EP ARF has a 43" wingspan and is ready for your electric power setup.

The Tower Hobbies Piper Cherokee EP ARF

A Balsa Built-Up Cherokee

Hobbico has been releasing a slew of new aircraft constructed of balsa and lite-ply. The latest offering is a Piper Cherokee with a 43" wingspan. The Tower Hobbies Piper Cherokee EP ARF comes with fiberglass wheel pants, a large removable battery access hatch, full-length ailerons (sorry, no flaps), and a great looking graphics package reminiscent of the full-scale Cherokee. The Tower Hobbies Piper Cherokee EP ARF retails for a respectable $99.99 and is scheduled for availability in late November, 2017.

CLICK HERE for more info on the new Tower Hobbies Piper Cherokee EP ARF.

Tower Hobbies Piper Cherokee EP ARF 43.2" (1 min 30 sec)

Features, Requirements, and Specs

• Construction: Built-up wood
  • Covering: High quality heat shrink film
  • Wheel Pants: Fiberglass
  • Cowl: Plastic
  • Brushless Motor: RimFire .10 35-30-1250Kv outrunner recommended
  • Electronic Speed Control: 35A
  • LiPo Battery: 3S 11.1V 2200-3200mAh
  • Radio: At least 4-channel with 4-channel receiver
  • Servos: Four micro
  • Propeller: APC 9.6E
  • Length: 33.8" (859mm)
  • Wingspan: 43.2" (1097mm)
  • Wing Area: 318 sq in (20.5 sq dm)
  • Wing Loading: 17.2 - 19.2 oz/sq ft (3.0 - 5.6 g/sq dm)
  • RTF Weight Range: 38 - 42.3 oz (1077 - 1199 g)
  • RTF Weight Less Battery: 31.7 oz (899 g)

Sep 14, 2017, 05:43 PM
DFS#000178
Another low-wing trainer that they stamped the name "Cherokee" on.

It looks nothing like a Cherokee. It has none of a Cherokee's trademark lines.

This is extremely disappointing. It's a good-looking sport-scale gen-av low-wing but it's no Cherokee.

If it at least had the leading edge fairings I could forgive the rest of the proportions but it didn't even go that far.
Sep 14, 2017, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage

This is extremely disappointing. It's a good-looking sport-scale gen-av low-wing but it's no Cherokee.

If it at least had the leading edge fairings I could forgive the rest of the proportions but it didn't even go that far.
Looks like a Cherokee from my house and it's $100. Which means $85 shipped if your a club member.
Sep 14, 2017, 08:08 PM
Nice size; gives people the opportunity to pick their own motor/ESC; BALSA; priced right.

I'd say it checks a lot of boxes, maybe not all of them, but a lot of the really desirable ones
Sep 14, 2017, 08:50 PM
DFS#000178
I'm definitely glad that the market seems to be seeing a resurgence of desirable balsa planes, and this one is in a fantastic size range and price bracket, no denying that. A lot of those boxes are definitely checked.

But I want to check the "Real scale balsa Cherokee" box. The only two on the market recently have been the Parkzone Archer and the RCGuys 1/4 scale. There's literally nothing inbetween.

A nice scale Cherokee with proper lines and proportions in this size, or a bit bigger--about the size of the old EFlite Bonanza, would be amazing.
Sep 15, 2017, 08:26 AM
AMA member since 1974
There is also a receiver ready version of this plane for $169.99. Thank you Tower Hobbies for keeping these balsa planes coming and for burning a hole in my pocket. Ha ha!!
Sep 15, 2017, 11:43 AM
Think I will put this on my Christmas list. Good to see some more balsa planes coming out as opposed to just foamies.
Sep 15, 2017, 12:16 PM
It's a good looking plane. It doesn't say Cherokee anywhere on it so we can just let people guess what it is. The ARF price with club discount makes it very tempting. Maybe it's a Archerokee.
Latest blog entry: VA Models Christen Eagle
Sep 15, 2017, 05:32 PM
Looks like a Cherokee to me and a nice size, just hate the price of the direct mount up motor being half to close to 3/4 the arf price, wish there was room for more planes in my house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage

Sep 15, 2017, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc39
Looks like a Cherokee to me and a nice size, just hate the price of the direct mount up motor being half to close to 3/4 the arf price, wish there was room for more planes in my house.
I'm wondering if the receiver ready version will have the motor available in the parts section. For $70 more it's kinda hard not to consider over the arf though.
Sep 16, 2017, 12:21 AM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers
I'm wondering if the receiver ready version will have the motor available in the parts section. For $70 more it's kinda hard not to consider over the arf though.
I may pick up the PNP, because at $170 that seems like an absolute steal, yeah. It doesn't really do it for me as a scale Cherokee but as a nice little sport plane I bet it'd be a lot of fun. And at that price, I can't pass up a nice little 1100mm balsa ship..
Sep 17, 2017, 05:57 PM
Pre ordered.

$85 bucks with the Tower Club discount, no sales taxes, and free shipping for a balsa ARF? can't beat that. I already have most of the electronics to boot.

I agree with Rampage. This little Cherokee isn't really "scale," but will make a nice little sport flyer that looks reasonably enough like a generic general aviation aircraft.
Sep 18, 2017, 05:23 AM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
Well, I have to say that they didn't capture the character of Cherokee. It looks like one, but looks like is not the same thing as a scale replica of the real thing. But I want one, 23 years ago I learned to fly in a Cherokee... nuff said.
Sep 18, 2017, 07:39 AM
the plug and play looks nice, not sure what brand the motor is that comes with it tho. cant beat the price tho
Sep 18, 2017, 08:07 AM
AMA member since 1974
It's pretty tough to build the ARF for less than the plug and play.