Sep 13, 2017, 03:37 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Thread OP
Discussion

SVSS 2Day F5J comp changed to ONE day 9/16

Due to Conflicting dates with the F3J team select competition this weekend the SVSS f5J comp has been changed to a ONE day comp on Saturday Sept 16th entry fee is $25 and DOES not cover lunch, but cold drinks and bagels will be provided by ME.
We will fly as many rounds as possible via pilot vote with NO flyoff rounds. This will STILL be a USA F5J tour event,, and results will count in year end standings.
Pilots meeting at 8:30AM with first flights at 9:00AM
Award plaques will be still given out 1st-5th
Weather is predicted to be absolutely perfect for soaring with scattered clouds, light winds, high later in afternoon of 87. There's still time to sign up.
So join us at the west coasts premier soaring site.please see original post for further details.
Sorry for any inconvience
Jerry
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2017, 07:53 PM
SBSS, SVSS, SCCMAS, EBRC

Still Showing as a Two-Day Event for Registration

I tried to register and it is still showing up as a two-day event.

http://www.f3xevents.com/release/Eve...SACRAMENTO2017

Don
Sep 14, 2017, 08:00 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don McCullough
I tried to register and it is still showing up as a two-day event.

http://www.f3xevents.com/release/Eve...SACRAMENTO2017

Don
Yes we can't change it . Just select pay by mail option,, and pay $25 on dayof event.

Jerry
Sep 14, 2017, 08:19 PM
SBSS, SVSS, SCCMAS, EBRC
Registered! Thanks.
Sep 14, 2017, 09:34 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Thanks for signing up Don. See you Saturday.
Sep 16, 2017, 11:01 PM
Team Hello Kitty

F5J in Sacramento-Final Scores

Because of a scheduling conflict between our event and the F3J Team Selects in Santa Margarita we lost many potential pilots. Jerry Molnar had the idea to turn this into a 1-day so we ended up with a total of 9 pilots at the start of the day with 7 making it to the last round.

As it turned out the weather was great and for most of the rounds the thermals were very good: mid-80's, calm to light breezes, and enough cloud cover to keep the afternoon flying conditions quite comfortable. Soaring birds helped us out all day.

We flew 7 rounds with 3 groups and a single throw-out. Congrats to the winners:
Chris Bajorek (5991)
Don McCullough (5945)
Lou Fox (5765)
Brian Chan (5627)
Jerry Molnar (5551)

I saw several folks taking pictures so stay tuned for those being posted. Thanks to everyone who came out and had a great day of flying with us.

Chris

9-18 update: The round 2 start height for Jonathan Heritage was 163m, not 263. The standings did not change when this was corrected. His new points total is 3747.
Last edited by SoaringDude; Sep 18, 2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Update note for Jonathan Heritage's score
Sep 17, 2017, 10:41 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Interesting! I was so close!! Thanks for a great day!!

Brian, an EAJ
Sep 17, 2017, 12:06 PM
Team Hello Kitty
I didn't have time to take more than a few pics but here they are. Brian and others took more pics. Also, thanks to Jerry Molnar for the very special Team Hello Kitty battery box!

I wanted to mention that our competition was again totally run by Gliderscore with smartphone scoring and dual LED display panels. Everyone was able to scan the QRCode off of their scorecards and get their personal scoring page on their phones. This is such a big time-saver for the CD that a separate scorekeeper is absolutely not needed, even for larger contests.
Sep 17, 2017, 03:57 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Thread OP
It's was a PUUUURFECT day of soaring! You couldn't have ordered a more perfect day of soaring. With my lighter Electra temporarily out of commission I was relegated to my much heavier ( 77oz) windy day plane on a calm day,, I kept launching waaaay to high, and paid the penalty for that,, but still a GREAT day of soaring. Chris's contests with smartphone scoring and the big red clock are just waaaaay too much fun!
Looking foward to 2Day F5J comp in Visalia in October.

Jerry

Ps edit : and Kudos to my Chico friend Erik Gledhill flying in his very first USA tour F5J with his resurrected from the dead 3.5m Electra ,, he flew GREAT! Achieving the lowest launch of the day while STIlL making his time ( 109m) and kicking my butt in that round! :-O OUCH!

Ps ps edit : some interesting observations :
Notice that the top two DIDNT have lowest average launch heights,, and the throwout round ACTUALLY HURT my placing.
I've said it before,, F5J is a VERY VERY strategic comp,,,,, ANYTHING can and will happen.
I personally LOVE F5J,,,,,, and,,,,, I'LL be back!
Last edited by Airman74; Sep 17, 2017 at 04:17 PM.
Sep 17, 2017, 04:45 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
One more..

Brian, an EAJ
Sep 18, 2017, 10:29 AM

F5J 2 Day Sept. 16 Davis CA

Don't know where the Hello Kitty theme came to be at this event but she brought "purr fect" conditions for flying all day.

Lots of fun and learning about F5 and the variables possible to max your score and the chances you may or may not want to take to do so.

Showing pictures of command center for glider score and the hi tech aspects with instant results on your smart phone to read up to date scores and standings- you had to be asleep to not be on edge to keep running scenarios in your head to plan your next flight in your upcoming round.

Thanks Chris and Jerry for making this a fun and well run event.

Looking forward to future F5 competitions.

Lou

OOPS- title should read 1 day event- wish it had been a two day
Last edited by foxcraft; Sep 18, 2017 at 10:32 AM. Reason: title should read one day event

Quick Reply