New to RC sailing. US1M hull question? - RC Groups
Sep 12, 2017, 11:18 PM
Discussion

New to RC sailing. US1M hull question?

I'm new to RC sailing. My first boats are Dragon Force 65 and a carbon fiber American Footy by Dennis Desprois. A local club member gave me a US1M hull and I was wondering if anybody could ID it for me. What is the best place to get rigs and sails for it.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2017, 04:04 PM
Tough to say with US1M, a lot of home builds .... It could be a Bob DeBow magic .... or not.
If the hull is registered (i.e. a sticker with a number inside) you could ask the class secretary or Jim Linville if he has any record of it.

As for rig check the class building tips here

On the yahoo site (US1M) or the AMYA site you can find some sail makers info and or mast suppliers (ken bouser)
Sep 13, 2017, 08:10 PM
For rig kits and supplies check out Midwest Model Yachting..

Here is a link to US One Meter Rig kits: http://www.midwestmodelyachting.com/...its_c_101.html

Brian
Sep 13, 2017, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gio06226
Tough to say with US1M, a lot of home builds .... It could be a Bob DeBow magic .... or not.
If the hull is registered (i.e. a sticker with a number inside) you could ask the class secretary or Jim Linville if he has any record of it.

As for rig check the class building tips here

On the yahoo site (US1M) or the AMYA site you can find some sail makers info and or mast suppliers (ken bouser)
Thanks for all the info. I just looked and there isn't any markings in side. It looks a lot like a Magic. I think I can get everything for the rig from Brighton Boat works.
Sep 14, 2017, 08:56 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
The Probar fittings suggest '90s vintage.
Sep 14, 2017, 11:47 AM
If it floats....sail it!
I'm the US1M class secretary pro tempore (up for election this month) and have the database.

If the hull has a sticker - usually visible through the hatch - I might be able to tell you its history, if it was ever registered. As gio said, there are lots of home built boats out there that are either from plans, modifications of existing plans, or just one-offs from the builder. Being a designer class with minimal rules, builders/designers explore lots of different ideas. Some work better than others and are duplicated, while others that don't work as well become orphans.

From your photos, that boat has several characteristics of boats from the 90's; intermediate size beam, rounded bow, Venom-like highly tapered transom and a general deck shape of boats like the Variant. It might be someone's design that incorporated all the best thinking of the time.

Good suggestions above regarding resources. The US1M Construction Guide and a few plans of older boats are available for free download here : http://theamya.org/boats/us1m/us1mcons.php

Another good resource is the us1msailing group at the Yahoo! Groups website - www.groups.yahoo.com - It is a moderated group (I am not the moderator) and there are sailors there who do not monitor RC Groups as well as a gallery of photos. Once a member you can post your photos there and ask if anyone recognizes that hull.

An finally, I'm an avid builder so if I can help you in any way, send me an email at us1m@theamya.org

Steve
Sep 16, 2017, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher
I'm the US1M class secretary pro tempore (up for election this month) and have the database.

If the hull has a sticker - usually visible through the hatch - I might be able to tell you its history, if it was ever registered. As gio said, there are lots of home built boats out there that are either from plans, modifications of existing plans, or just one-offs from the builder. Being a designer class with minimal rules, builders/designers explore lots of different ideas. Some work better than others and are duplicated, while others that don't work as well become orphans.

From your photos, that boat has several characteristics of boats from the 90's; intermediate size beam, rounded bow, Venom-like highly tapered transom and a general deck shape of boats like the Variant. It might be someone's design that incorporated all the best thinking of the time.

Good suggestions above regarding resources. The US1M Construction Guide and a few plans of older boats are available for free download here : http://theamya.org/boats/us1m/us1mcons.php

Another good resource is the us1msailing group at the Yahoo! Groups website - www.groups.yahoo.com - It is a moderated group (I am not the moderator) and there are sailors there who do not monitor RC Groups as well as a gallery of photos. Once a member you can post your photos there and ask if anyone recognizes that hull.

An finally, I'm an avid builder so if I can help you in any way, send me an email at us1m@theamya.org

Steve
Thanks for the info. The hull has no markings inside. I am looking forward to building it up. I do have one question. What is the material for the deck for closing up the deck openings? Also who do I buy it from?
Sep 16, 2017, 08:41 PM
I am by no means an expert but I can offer what I did. The deck material I used was Monocote aircraft covering. The hatch covers are .030 clear plastic sheet sealed with colored electrical tape. Just a suggestion.
Sep 16, 2017, 08:59 PM
If it floats....sail it!
That hatch looks like it is designed for a solid cover that slides in from the side under some rails. You can use almost any rigid material; thin plywood that is sealed with a waterproof finish, thin acrylic plastic sheet (any thin rigid plastic will do) or you can use sticky back insignia cloth, that is used for sail numbers and class insignias on full size boats.

If you are worried that the rigid material will slide out, secure the open side with hockey shin guard tape. It's cheap and unlike electrical tape, it sticks to a wet deck. In areas where hockey is big, almost any sporting goods store has it. Here in CA , I can order it from places like Dick's or get packages of multiple rolls on eBay.

If you use insignia cloth, it comes by the yard and you cut out the size you need. I make plastic templates and cut 10 or more at a time and leave them in a ziplock bag in my Tx case so I am sure I have them when racing. I also use it for the covers over the rudder post access. It sticks to wet decks, but the adhesive gradually looses its tack as the hatch is opened and closed multiple times. When it goes bad, just throw it away and use another one.

It is available in black, red, blue, white or green from Sailrite. See http://www.sailrite.com/search?keywords=Insignia

A yard will last a long time since it comes 54" wide.

If you are asking about the deck itself, then what Tinknocker said, but I do not like how the new Monocote shrinks so I use another brand.
Last edited by FoamCrusher; Sep 16, 2017 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Added info