Nov 06, 2004, 06:00 AM
Thread OP

Help i Want to make a micro model

alright i have a micro remote control car that i am sick of now i would really like to use the stuff to make a micro plane with just motor and rudder control the size of the motor is 6mm diameter and 12.5mm long.

Reciever and speed control board is 22mm x 18mm x 3mm with some components making it up to 10mm wide its very light

hopefully the steering mechanism will be ok for the rudder
and the battery is a 1/4 AAA NiMH 150ma will change to lipo if neccessery as long as the reciever and speed control board can take it

will this stuff be ok if so can anyone help me with plans and help to make a very light model for it and help with motor gear ratio and prop

stuff that i got and can make it from is balsa wood, depron, white foam and even epp foam as well as carbon fibre

thanks in advance Rick
attached is pic low quality just from web cam
Last edited by Manta ray; Nov 06, 2004 at 06:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2004, 06:46 AM
hi Rick,
i suggest reading these threads first:
https://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4392

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6&page=1&pp=15

http://www.rc-cam.com/microszr.htm

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3&page=1&pp=15

but such as i know most of these original motors from bit cars are not cool for this job, so you can use from a "didel" 4.5ohm 6mm pager motor form: www.didel.com
or even if you can modify your RX so try with an m20 or n20 motor for larger or abit heavier.
Nov 06, 2004, 07:13 AM
Thread OP
Mmmm
i guess its not as easy as it looks
looks like it requires alot of time

Mmmm should be fun
Nov 06, 2004, 07:34 AM
Flap chap
Not really, but a good understanding helps. I understand you are entering new ground, and it all may see daunting at first. But building your knowledge on others experience and success, will lead to your success.
The first step you need to take is to modify the car ('bit cars' are what they are called), firstly to increase range, secondly, to increase the power going to the motor. All this has been done, time and time again, so it is all in this forum.
Nov 06, 2004, 07:40 AM
Flap chap
https://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4392 - This link willl prove very useful. The first bit is about pager motors, which you will hear alot about in micro flight, how to construct gearboxes, etc.
There is a plan somewhere after half way down, for a simple model, called the BUMP. It will also tell you how to mod the 'Bit cars' to work well enough for the BUMP. Recomended that you build that first (wish i did!! saves alot of trial and error!!). Good luck.
Nov 06, 2004, 07:41 AM
Thread OP
thanks for the help
Nov 06, 2004, 08:09 AM
Rick,
Micro supplies are available in australia from :-http://members.dodo.net.au/~daviddewit/
Stewart
Nov 06, 2004, 11:31 PM
Thread OP
thanks for the link Stewart

Now i am going to make the BUMP
perferable with N20LV 12 x 15 x 10mm motor
140mAhr Kokam or a
250mAhr E-Tec battery
is this ok
prop will be one of the following not sure which will be best
2.5x1 inch 2.5x.8 inch or 3x2 inch but i think thats to big gws
or anything else that anyone can recommend
so direct drive is probably what i will use

i know how to hook up the rudder
but i require alot of help with the reciever and transmitter i only need it to be basic and with a little better range and i want the reciever to be able to take the li po
i might use 3 batterys for the tx instead of 2
attached are the same transmitter and reciever that i have found

reciever is standard it doesnt have mods which is in the pic
Nov 07, 2004, 08:37 AM
Sticky Shepherd
On the receiver what you have marked as a resiter is an inductor and what you have marked as a cripple cap is a smoothing capacitor, don't remove it!!

The receiver works upto 5v as standard so you can use the LiPoly.

The TX works upto 5v so you can use three dry cells or 4 nicads, also lengthen the antenna, that is a good start.

You want to replace one of the transisters on the RX with a mosfet to get full battery volts to the motor.

In the index thread there are many threads on this subject. One in particular called receiver mods will cover this, also the article for the Bump does.

Good luck, you are doing well so far.

Graham
Nov 08, 2004, 04:33 AM
Thread OP
the pictures above is not my one i just found these on the forum there the same as mine
the only difference is where it says resister for the converter there is somekind of chip that says 221K
and where it says DC-DC converter there is a little chip that looks similar with no writing

so should i put a resister (inductor) in there like the pic above and put a mosfet instaed of a transister where the negative power go's in
I would have taken a pic of mine but my camera will not take a good enough pic of it

Any way my plane is going ok its all balsa wood hopefully it wont be to heavy its 1mm so it should be ok its quite light i need to weigh it the wing will most likely be made of depron well i dont know if you want to call to depron its to hard for me to get depron so i use the next best thing Meat trays that you buy at supermarkets its light and strong and i think it is depron with a black sheet over it which is easily removed

Attached is a pic of the plane
Nov 08, 2004, 06:26 AM
Sticky Shepherd
The resister in your picture is an inductor, your little chip is just another type of inductor.

Yes you want a mosfet to switch the negative side of the motor, the other side should go straight to the battery positive.

Your model is looking good!

Graham

Quick Reply