Super Piper Cub 95 - RC Groups
Sep 12, 2017, 05:00 AM
Build Log

Super Piper Cub 95

I have several irons in the fire currently, but for one reason, or another they are on hold, so I drafted up the plan and started on this model. It's adapted from the Guillow's 20" model with which I have had good luck with. This model has a 40" wing-span. I'm pushing the envelope with the structure of the fuselage, but it's worth a try in my book. I just happened to have some scrap balsa around.

Kevin
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2017, 11:57 AM
B for Bruce
That's a lovely looking adaptation. And an excellent design on the structure to suit the larger span.
On the stiffener bulkheads and assuming rubber power I'd suggest making them a little larger for the middle openings. But other than that it's looking really fine for rubber power. Or if you're looking at some other power source it's fine as is.
Sep 12, 2017, 12:04 PM
Comet has a 54" Taylorcraft (OZ81) for comparison that looks close in structure. Are you adding in any longerons? Otherwise I think you'll have a good one.
Sep 12, 2017, 01:22 PM
I have been considering adding diagonal bracing on the sides of the fuselage. I didn't need to use longarons spanning the space from the nose to the tail.

Kevin
Sep 13, 2017, 02:31 AM
B for Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSgt
Comet has a 54" Taylorcraft (OZ81) for comparison that looks close in structure. Are you adding in any longerons? Otherwise I think you'll have a good one.
I've seen those. Kevin's adaptation actually looks a lot better to my eyes from what I see in these pictures. In particular the wings look far better than the Comet which has grossly wide spaced ribs.
Sep 13, 2017, 04:42 PM
Bruce, Thanks for the suggestion, but I am at a loss as to what stiffener bulkheads are. Yup, rubber power. If I were to simply enlarge the 20" Guillow's plan, and build that, the wing ribs would be fewer, and farther apart. The fuselage sides on the 20" model are largely sheet construction. Even with the smaller model the stock wood supplied is rather heavy.

Kevin
Last edited by kevin matthews; Sep 13, 2017 at 04:58 PM.
Sep 16, 2017, 06:08 PM
Got the other semi-span done, and here is the stabilizer, and rudder.

Kevin
Sep 19, 2017, 09:00 AM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Kevin, you really need to find a way to make it up to one of the contests in Rantoul. Mike Kirda plays around with big scale models like this a lot and you'd have a great time flying with him.
Sep 20, 2017, 01:19 PM
Adding diagonal bracing to the fuselage. Joshua, I've been thinking about competing for a long time. I have a few airplanes ready to try to win

Kevin
Sep 20, 2017, 07:57 PM
Added a fairing to the nose. It's 1/32" sheet over a former at the aft edge.

Kevin
Sep 22, 2017, 09:27 AM
The fuselage tail was bent over to one side by about an 1/8". I did surgery this morning to straighten it. Had to cut out the supporting sticks on the top aft of the back former, and cut the tail connection with a hobby saw, position, re-glue, and replaced the sticks. The bottom didn't require the sticks to be replaced. The process went a lot better than expected, and I got the tail straightened out.

Kevin
Sep 22, 2017, 10:24 AM
I'm going with the yellow Piper Cub Lil' Panda graphics scheme. Back when, the Piper was used by the U.S. Navy. There are several Piper J3 "Pandas" out there to look at, however I did find one which is a Super Cub. Checking in with Callie Graphics for the cost of her cool product. She has in stock the "Panda" graphics, hopefully she can make them for a model this size.

Kevin
Sep 22, 2017, 10:49 AM
The wheels; balsa wood, nylon thrust bearings, and acrylic paint.

Kevin
Sep 22, 2017, 11:55 AM
The diagonal bracing in the fuselage noticeably stiffened the twist factor. Once the Esaki tissue is added, and doped it will be ridged.

Kevin
Sep 22, 2017, 02:00 PM
B for Bruce
This is continuing to be a truly nice looking job. The reinforcing you're doing to my eyes looks right in keeping with the needs for a model of this size and given the potential size of the rubber motor. Yet not so heavy that it'll push the weight up by too much to fly well.

The only thing I still question is the need for the rather bulky solid sheet bulkheads. What I typically do on my larger models to stiffen up the diagonal direction is that I'll add four diagonal strips to the uprights and cross members so that it forms more or less an internal diamond inside. I do this at a couple or three spots which would correspond to where you put the sheet bulkheads as well at at the station at the trailing edge of the wing. I get the same degree of diagonal strength but with only a few added pieces of balsa strip stock instead of the sheet. Perhaps for next time?