50cc Pilatus PC-6 Porter - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 11, 2017, 08:53 PM
Build Log

50cc Pilatus PC-6 Porter

Placed my order for this kit almost two years ago when it was announced for a fall delivery. It arrived just last week in two boxes. Over the next several months, I will try to document my build process. There are six nice YouTube videos of the major subassemblies.

I welcome comments and suggestions as I progress through the assembly.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2017, 10:46 PM
Weed whacker engine or not.... a Porter is a V simple airframe.
Curious as to how can there be 'multiple' subassemblies ?
Sep 12, 2017, 05:00 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Which kit?
Sep 12, 2017, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonTarling
Which kit?

50cc Pilatus PC-6 Porter - Kit - The World Models

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...rdJorXuVRiCEHQ

There is probably a way to make the above into a link....not a computer person.
Sep 12, 2017, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Weed whacker engine or not.... a Porter is a V simple airframe.
Curious as to how can there be 'multiple' subassemblies ?
well..the manual breaks it down into wing, tail, fuselage front and back......there are graphic youtube videos....

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...MlHkiRzsGPwU25
Sep 12, 2017, 12:02 PM

Two boxes

The plane came in two boxes...the large one was balsa and ply parts well packaged into the different subassemblies. The smaller box had the parts bag, and plastic parts...the parts bag include the wheels and fuel tank. There was a clear plastic cowl that can be used to determine how to cut the actual cowl. There was also a pair of what look to be spring loaded struts for the landing gear.
Sep 14, 2017, 09:04 AM
I preordered the same kit from Airbourne Models. $299.00 Still waiting for it though.
Sep 15, 2017, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnflyby
I preordered the same kit from Airbourne Models. $299.00 Still waiting for it though.
I ordered direct, paid through the nose for it...ie more than the kit cost.....
Sep 18, 2017, 10:53 AM

The build begins

I unpacked the bag with the wing parts...I was impressed with the laser cutting...everything seems to be labeled. That includes the milled wood. There was tape to hold parts together so they didn't come loose from the sheet. There is a lot of prefabrication that has already been done..ie. doublers and hardware added.

If you notice, I am old school when it comes to assembly.. I will use yellow glue, epoxy and CA depending on the joint.
Sep 19, 2017, 05:08 AM
Supersonic Engineering
Following the build with interest - might just have to get one of these!
Sep 20, 2017, 10:52 AM

Problem

The instruction manual, and videos show ribs being added to the main spar W16. When placing the main spar on the building board, the ribs all fit with the exception of W2. It has a .125 edge that is larger than all the ribs which prevented it from fitting down on the board. I was able to separate the laminated parts...on the right wing build, I think I will just wait until I have removed the assembly from the board to glue it on.

It will be interesting to see how other builders will find and resolve the issue...

As mentioned in the photos...when adding W15 to W16, watch placement...and make a right and left.....

Adding the ribs is an area for attention..follow the plans. ( did I mention, there are not full size plans...)
Sep 22, 2017, 09:12 AM

Wing continues

The process continues...all the sheeting for the wings has been laser cut and marked. The top sheet had a splice in it where there was looks to be a mistake. W32 was seen in the video, not covered in the instructions book..need to keep referencing the drawings, videos and instructions to insure nothing is missed. Continuing with the top sheeting.
Sep 22, 2017, 11:55 AM
Good job. I tried to buy the same kit, but the cost of shipping to Brazil was unfortunately prohibitive.
I'll follow your construction!
Sep 22, 2017, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiga
Good job. I tried to buy the same kit, but the cost of shipping to Brazil was unfortunately prohibitive.
I'll follow your construction!
I paid to much for shipping...but...I think its available from a US distributor....to late for that.
Sep 26, 2017, 08:33 AM

Left wing complete

I finished the sheeting on the left wing and did some rough sanding....

I mentioned before that all the sheeting is laser cut and fits good. The cap strips are even laser cut..just slightly longer than required so that they can be trimmed to fit tight.