Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 21, 2017, 07:22 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
More write-ups tonight along with the reamining reports. A big thanks to all who came out and helped with setup and tear-down. A shout-out to Ali for providing a BlueBird 105 servo when my rudder failed. Thank you.

Another extended thanks to Charlie as he guided my plane back numerous times when I lost sight. I was perpetually out of control for 9:59 in heavy winds 80-feet off the deck.

Overall attached. Congratulations to Brad, Ali, and Randy
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2017, 11:47 PM
Flyin' High Now

A Few More Photos

One photo from me and a couple from a friend...
Oct 22, 2017, 11:53 PM
Congrats to :
Brad
Ali
Randy and
John

Good flying!
Last edited by clearvisionscott; Oct 28, 2017 at 03:00 AM.
Oct 23, 2017, 12:58 AM
Flyin' High Now

That Was Different and Fun

Had a lot of fun and it was good to see more of us at the field as the weather cools.

This contest turned out to be an interesting experiment for EVEF. We had a good number of EVEF firsts in this contest, a couple you might not have noticed...
  • The first F5J contest on that field (rather than ALES years ago)
  • The longest 1 day contest that I can recall
  • The first one-day contest in which we've handed out custom-made awards
  • The first time we've reserved a basin with Mesa Parks & Rec. specifically for a contest
  • The first time we've had a proper restroom on the property

Add to that...I've never seen such a long period of drastic wind direction changes with no prevailing wind. That certainly created for some landing chaos as the wind direction would change 180 degrees in less than a minute.

-Randy
Oct 23, 2017, 02:04 AM
Overkill is underrated

Letís Do It Again

I like the Reaper’s, er, I mean Randy’s summation of all the firsts that occurred as a result of this contest. Not positive Mesa will require a porta-john for every special use permit, if they do, it’s $175. That said, maybe it’s worth it and we should consider another contest on 115 to be held this spring. It was a lot of fun but would be more so with a few more out of towners. My thanks to Ali for making the drive over! He really needs to love that mug given what he spent in gas money to win it.
It goes without saying, Lee, you killed it again with your fanatical support. Muchos gracias, amigo.

Ed
Oct 23, 2017, 11:03 AM
Camber down and screw it up.
Congratulations Brad! I take it you're pretty much liking that new Maxa ?

--
Greg
Oct 23, 2017, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westranm
Had a lot of fun and it was good to see more of us at the field as the weather cools.

This contest turned out to be an interesting experiment for EVEF. We had a good number of EVEF firsts in this contest, a couple you might not have noticed...
  • The first F5J contest on that field (rather than ALES years ago)
  • The longest 1 day contest that I can recall
  • The first one-day contest in which we've handed out custom-made awards
  • The first time we've reserved a basin with Mesa Parks & Rec. specifically for a contest
  • The first time we've had a proper restroom on the property

Add to that...I've never seen such a long period of drastic wind direction changes with no prevailing wind. That certainly created for some landing chaos as the wind direction would change 180 degrees in less than a minute.

-Randy
What a great event! I think this was my first 1 day F5J contest and I must say I really enjoyed it! Especially the nice grass and great company! In the end the drive was not that bad, and flying 8 rounds was enough to make me think it was worth it. I think we could have gotten 1 more round in if a certain somebody who shall remain nameless brought their transmitter in the morning.

Conditions were about as good as you could ask for, virtually zero wind for most of the day with some wind developing in the last few rounds. To be totally honest I have never before switched launch and landing directions so many times in a F5J contest. The wind direction changes in my opinion were only from thermal draws. I don't think they ever came above 5 mph or so for most of the day and I would have rather launched and landed in a fixed direction the majority of the time with a possible switch in the afternoon when the prevailing winds came up. A small point. My 1.3 cents worth.

If you guys do it again, I will probably show up! Hope to bring some more SoCal peeps with me. Cheers and many thanks to all who made it possible!
Congrats Brad! I think you said this was your first F5J win, and you earned it in great style with some fantastic flights! Once again Randy showed his skill and consistency with a well earned 3rd place!

I snapped a few pics as well.
Last edited by ak79; Oct 23, 2017 at 03:41 PM.
Oct 25, 2017, 09:51 PM
Where is the lift?
We had a great time and are very thankful for everyone's patience as we got Myra setup with Randy's JR. big Thanks to Randy and Matt who both helped way above the call to get Myra up and flying. Ali is correct, 9 rounds would have worked

Congratulations to Brad for winning in style and to Ali and Randy who were close behind.

Big thanks to Ed, Randy and Lee for getting this event coordinated with Mesa and for providing the infrastructure. And as always thank you John for feeding us lunch!

We can't wait to do it again.

Charlie and Myra
Nov 10, 2017, 02:02 AM
MNZONA SOAR
Congratulations Brad! I take it you're pretty much liking that new Maxa ?

--
Greg

The Maxa and I are getting on quite well.I still enjoy the Explore but ti've always wanted ro try a Maxa, Wonderful model.Brad

Quick Reply