AMA Executive Vice President Candidate - Randy Cameron - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

AMA Executive Vice President Candidate - Randy Cameron

The AMA elections are just around the corner. Here is some information on Randy Cameron. Randy is a long time modeler and friend to the hobby.

Splash

Randy Cameron - Executive Vice President Candidate

As some of you might know I cover events all over the country and host one of my own. Through my travels I have become friends with Randy Cameron. He has attended my Nashville event for many years and is the person that suggested I become a contest director with the AMA. He has also helped me with my event insurance questions. I have also found that if I'm at an event Randy is usually there too. He is part of my RC family and I count him as a friend. Randy is good people. When I found out he was running for AMA Exec. VP I had to share his info with my RCGroups RC family. Here is Randy's letter to RCGroups about his candidacy...

From Randy to RCGroups...

Hello RCGroups, I am Randy Cameron and I am running for the office of Executive Vice President and I am asking for your vote.

Iíve been involved in aero modeling since I was a child with my father, and love every aspect of this hobby and aviation. I am primarily a sport flyer, however, have competed in a little IMAC, Combat and Fun Flyís in the past. I enjoy 3D aerobatic flying and attempted FPV racing (which I'm not very good at).

Iíve been an AMA member for over 30 years and an AMA volunteer for 18 years. I served as the District VI contest coordinator for nine years, an Associate Vice President for five years, and lately as the District VI Vice President for the last five years. While serving on the Executive Council Iíve focused on listening to and acting on behalf of all AMA members. Iíve held about every club officer position in multiple clubs over the past 35 plus years, while in the military and in civilian life.

I have been a strong proponent protecting our right to fly in the National Airspace, in our dealings with the FAA and In January of 2016, I traveled to Washington DC with a hand full of other AMA officers calling on Congress requesting they continue our special rule for model aviation in the Aviation Innovation, Reform, and Reauthorization bill.

As a District Vice President I have served on several committees, Iíve worked on the flying site improvement grant committee, where we have reworked the grant application process and we have given out over $30K each year for the last several years.

Iím the chairman for Property accusation and development committee, where we have installed a well that saves almost $1000 per month by not using city water in the sprinkler system, and Iím working to revamp site three to improve flying for all disciples, from free flight to turbans that use that site.

Additionally, we are working on plans and fund raising right now to develop a new indoor flying and education facility that will be 300X200 feet with a 100-foot ceiling. Iím also the Committee chairman for the Special Interest Groups, were we have added programs to increase advertising, to include video advertising in AMA Air.

The positions Iíve held and the committee work I have accomplished for AMA have served well to prepare me for the position of AMA Executive-Vice President.

Programs I would like to see improved or implemented within AMA are:

• Youth Education and STEM programs, we are doing a good job now, but need a much reach out much further than we currently do.
  • We need to accept new technologies that youth and younger people are interested in, without doing this, I feel the Academy will eventually falter.
  • Our government outreach has done very well to date, but it is a fight keeping up with it all. Government and public relations both need to be shored up and grown to be able to support our increasing future needs.
  • We need to work on establishing permanent, regional flying sites, owned and operated by local clubs. This needs to be done with flying site acquisition grants, and loan programs.

Iím married, Fina and I have been together 33 years. She has always supported me in our hobby and often attends events with me. We have four sons and eleven grandchildren and are currently teaching our fourth generation of family flyers.

Iím a 22 year Air Force veteran, where I was an electronic communications technician and project manager. Iím currently the senior system administrator for a hospital system. With your vote and input, I feel together we can make the Academy of Model Aeronautics a much stronger and better organization. Thank you for your vote.

Sep 19, 2017, 01:30 PM
I have seen his work, and I believe in Randy's abilities and his passion for the hobby. I support him $100% for the office of Executive Vice President. ~Craig St Louis AeroPilots RC Club. St Louis MO
Sep 19, 2017, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_stlouis
I have seen his work, and I believe in Randy's abilities and his passion for the hobby. I support him $100% for the office of Executive Vice President. ~Craig St Louis AeroPilots RC Club. St Louis MO
Thank you Craig. I appreciate your support.

Randy
Sep 19, 2017, 06:17 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
Additionally, we are working on plans and fund raising right now to develop a new indoor flying and education facility that will be 300X200 feet with a 100-foot ceiling. Iím also the Committee chairman for the Special Interest Groups, were we have added programs to increase advertising, to include video advertising in AMA Air.

Well that is all well and good, IF it is going to be open to all AMA members. Sounds to me like it is going to be a limited use sort of thing, and at the price of a venue like that, look for Your dues to more than double. Sounds to me like the AMA is going for the Elite, and big money flyers. I have been flying since My pre teens, and have been an AMA member for many years and also have an endorsement as a CD. I would love to see something like this happen, but a 1000 mile drive to use it, Not in this lifetime. Roy Creiglow AMA 8045/CD
Yesterday, 09:39 AM
Quote: "We need to work on establishing permanent, regional flying sites, owned and operated by local clubs. This needs to be done with flying site acquisition grants, and loan programs." End Quote

I said that very thing over 25 years ago. I even gave the AMA a business plan detailing how it could be done. I see the discussion continues.
Yesterday, 02:16 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
AMA Has become just another political machine. It serves the interests of the highest bidder, and little more. Our club just did a $150,000 move and improvement, and I doubt we will get a few hundred $$ when we file for some help. I have supported AMA even in the couple of years I was not actively flying and competing. At age 77, My competing days are over, but still fly for the fun of it, even have a SC outfit, and a 10 channel Reed setup that I fly. Any way , I enjoy indoor flying, but doubt a large venue as suggested would be a viable thing, and certainly not free, even to AMA members. Wouild like to hear from the candidate on this some more.