Thread Tools
Sep 20, 2017, 10:17 AM
Registered User
Great looking pictures! Love the cloudy background.

Yours, Greg
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2017, 11:48 AM
Registered User
Larry Jolly's Avatar
Looks really good. I timed for Corky at the F5J contest last month in Moriarty. I was very impressed with TH and its performance. Looking forward to the YJ. Larry
Sep 20, 2017, 01:14 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly
Looks really good. I timed for Corky at the F5J contest last month in Moriarty. I was very impressed with TH and its performance. Looking forward to the YJ. Larry
All I need is my order of 3/32" balsa to show and it will be done. Shall I add your AMA # ?

I cant wait to see you fly it!!!!
Sep 20, 2017, 02:14 PM
Registered User
Larry Jolly's Avatar
Please. 64293. I will be in Albaqueque at the end of the month. L
Sep 20, 2017, 03:46 PM
Registered User
tewatson's Avatar
Don't forget directions...

Tom
Sep 20, 2017, 03:53 PM
Registered User
Larry Jolly's Avatar
Tom
Wish you were on this trip!
I just drive east to Phoenix when I hit 40 I keep driving until I can smell the Red And Green chili......
Sep 21, 2017, 07:37 PM
F3-RES is fun!
Ur Wingman's Avatar

Sunset flying


The wind blew all day, but settled down, just before dark. I went to my local church grassy lot, only to find 3 tag football games going on. But, there is a 5 acre rough lot by the road, so I setup there, away from the people. Wow! There was still warm air rising from the nearby parking lot. I had several wonderful flights with my Yellow Jacket. It is such a wonderful plane, even with the 8-9 mph breeze, it was stable, yet found the smallest puff of rising air! Validated by the fact I could pull my phone out and snap several pictures...
Your mileage may vary,
Jim
Sep 21, 2017, 07:55 PM
Registered User
Larry:

I will be out at the sod farm that Sunday, and hope to see you again.

Yours, Greg
Sep 21, 2017, 08:47 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur Wingman
The wind blew all day, but settled down, just before dark. I went to my local church grassy lot, only to find 3 tag football games going on. But, there is a 5 acre rough lot by the road, so I setup there, away from the people. Wow! There was still warm air rising from the nearby parking lot. I had several wonderful flights with my Yellow Jacket. It is such a wonderful plane, even with the 8-9 mph breeze, it was stable, yet found the smallest puff of rising air! Validated by the fact I could pull my phone out and snap several pictures...
Your mileage may vary,
Jim
Awesome picture Jim, I love the lighting. it looks beautiful in the air.

I just finished covering another wing. Came out at 7.6 oz as expected with the spoiler and servo installed. I was pleased once again that the covering did not change the washout in the mid panels. Same before and after without having to mess with the covering to get the twist.
Last edited by CloudSniffer; Sep 21, 2017 at 09:59 PM.
Sep 22, 2017, 07:32 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP

ALES Contest Phoenix


Tomorrow the Phoenix Club I belong to is having an ALES contest. Mostly Moldies and some really good pilots. Should have fun with the Yellow Jacket and new wing. All up balanced at 18.8. oz.
Sep 22, 2017, 09:10 PM
Registered User
That sure looks nice!
Sep 22, 2017, 09:43 PM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
Curtis Suter's Avatar
Absolutely Gorgeous!
Best of luck and have fun!
Curtis
Sep 23, 2017, 10:55 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Today in the Phoenix area the temps were lower than they have been (75-85f) in the morning. We flew 6 rounds at 10 minutes each with 150m launch height settings. Until noon the wind was calm and enjoyable. Early afternoon the wind picked up. In the first two rounds lift was a bit difficult to lock in on ( for me anyway). My first two rounds were In the 4 to 7 minute range. In the third round the air began to warm and the lift was broad and wide. For three rounds in a row I was able to get in the 9:50 to 9:59 range. The new single spoiler was very effective amd I was able to get some good landing points. I think the light structure with the ,single spoiler made the attck angle more aggressive. One of my handicaps is my vision, when the plane gets high I can't see it well and have to burn altitude to keep from losing it. In those three rounds with long times everyone was having fun. Burning off altitude doing loops, rolls and spins. The planes just wanted to go up. When the YJ hit lift it went up quickly. You had to be careful not to loose it. Even in a smaller thermal you could turn tight and grab it. It's hard to stall this plane. The last round was windy and sinky, we all pissed and moaned. But overall, what a day. Did I beat the big Moldies and the expert pilots behind them, not really. But for a 2 meter it was respectful and I had a great day. At this point I'm not sure what could be better or what else I could for. It's a true joy to fly. Im talking about an 18.8 oz electric for today.

If you think about it at a 150m launch a 4 meter that is twice the size of mine looks twice as big. So they can go that much higher and further and still see it. Not being able to see it is kind of a big disadvantage for the 2m against a 4m. The flight performance is not as significant but it is another factor as you really can't argue that a molded cf lite weight modern plane is THE state of art. But, it's not $2-3k either.
Last edited by CloudSniffer; Sep 24, 2017 at 08:10 AM.
Sep 24, 2017, 07:39 AM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP

The Drive Home


I want to share the rest if the story from yesterday. Driving home from the contest most of it has a 70 mph speed limit. There is a stretch of 4 lane across the Indian Reservation that is 45 mph. Well, there happen to be a cop hiding and he got me doing 64, hungry and late for lunch you know. So as he is at my window having a nice conversation he asked if that was a RC Model in the back of the car. I proceeded to tell him about and he suddenly became more interest in it than my driving. He said he was going back to write a "warning". When he came back he wanted to know more about the sailplane. I offered to open the trunk and show it to him. He got pretty excited. Next thing you know we are standing along a 4 lane highway, his lights are still flashing, and I'm pulling out the glider and putting it together. We chatted for another 10 minutes. There was a lot of passing traffic and we were near an intersection. I can only imagine what the passers thought when they saw what was going on. I ended giving him a card and may have another kit sale. Really made my day as the Yellow Jacket brought me some good luck.
Sep 24, 2017, 08:09 AM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
Curtis Suter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudSniffer
I want to share the rest if the story from yesterday. Driving home from the contest most of it has a 70 mph speed limit. There is a stretch of 4 lane across the Indian Reservation that is 45 mph. Well, there happen to be a cop hiding and he got me doing 64, hungry and late for lunch you know. So as he is at my window having a nice conversation he asked if that was a RC Model in the back of the car. I proceeded to tell him about and he suddenly became more interest in it than my driving. He said he was going back to write a "warning". When he came back he wanted to know more about the sailplane. I offered to open the trunk and show it to him. He got pretty excited. Next thing you know we are standing along a 4 lane highway, his lights are still flashing, and I'm pulling out the glider and putting it together. We chatted for another 10 minutes. There was a lot of passing traffic and we were near an intersection. I can only imagine what the passers thought when they saw what was going on. I ended giving him a card and may have another kit sale. Really made my day as the Yellow Jacket brought me some good luck.
That's awesome! Heck, that's probably better than a contest win.
Curtis


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Yellow Jacket 130 - HS1177 Compatible 3" Drone RotoRex Micro Multirotor Drones 10 Dec 02, 2017 10:30 AM
Discussion Yellow Jacket 5.8ghz Compatibility Test bionicbone FPV Equipment 2 May 03, 2016 12:03 AM
Poll The great Aresti 80 (2M) Colour competition! Doc James H Slope 102 May 02, 2016 03:58 PM
Question AP .15 Yellow Jacket Eugene Chernosky Engines 3 Nov 02, 2005 11:54 AM
Article The Yellow Jacket Speed 400 Fun Fly Plane Oscar Morris Electric Plane Talk 0 Jun 01, 1997 12:00 AM