Jan 13, 2020, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulturetec
Almost ready for the contest that was last...week... Well, anyway - I'm having fun. Just need to add the radio, spoiler, and hinge the control surfaces.

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

Click to enlarge...

I was going to just do stripes on the wing tips and decided to be different.

FWIW I used transparent red Ultracote and Ultracote-Lite for the open structures, the fuselage and tip stripes are cub yellow Super Monokote, the rest of the trim is all Super Monokote (black, white, metallic charcoal, neon yellow, neon pink, and chrome), the numbers are Oracal 951 Vinyl "Signal Yellow" which matches Cub Yellow Ultracote exactly and close to Monokote's cub yellow. The neon colors don't really photograph well, they just look "light".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray foley
hi there from Toledo!

I recently contacted Corky to order a YJ2mGS wing and Vtail set and instead of the built up fuselage and cf boom, i asked for a Clm-pro 120E pod and boom set less the Vmount. Corky agreed to prepare the boom for vtail installation.

Glidermang encouraged me to start a separate thread for the electrified version of the YJ2mGS wing and vtail.

So when the pieces arrive I will commence with the build that is specific to the 120E pod and boom set and minimal discussion of the wing build since glidermang is doing such a fine build of his purist YJ2mGS and why reinvent the wheel?

This will become my electrified entry at the Weak Signals expo in April.

Until then, ciao, rjf
Looks great Scott! I see you removed your rotund aviator friend to reduce drag. Good move (don't tell him) There's another F3-RES contest coming up soon down there. Besides, they're just darn fun to fly anytime!

Ray, looking forward to see what you do with the CLM/YJ build.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 13, 2020, 08:49 PM
volare est vivere
Hi there from Toledo!

Hey Greg/crashbound;

You have another magnificent YJ2M there, consider bringing it to the Toledo Show in April or I could enter it for you, appropriate box and shipping, etc. We could really inundate the judges with YJ variants, hmmm... a conspiracy, of sorts, haha! .

I know there will be at least 2 variants, why not more?

Ciao, rjf.

Ps: Hey Corky, got anything you would like to spring on the attendees at the Toledo Expo, just like I offered Crashbound. rjf
Last edited by ray foley; Jan 13, 2020 at 09:24 PM.
Jan 13, 2020, 09:08 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Quote:
Hi there from Tol do!

Hey Greg/crashbound;

You have another magnificent YJ2M there, consider bringing it to the Toledo Show in April or I could enter it for you, appropriate box and shipping, etc. We could really inundate the judges with YJ variants, hmmm... a conspiracy, of sorts, haha .

Ciao, rjf.

Ps: Hey Corky, got anything you would like to spring on the attendees at the Toledo Expo, just like I offered Crashbound. rjf
Well, there are scientist in their labs constructing some amazing things as we speak.
Jan 14, 2020, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Hi there from Toledo!

Hey Greg/crashbound;

You have another magnificent YJ2M there, consider bringing it to the Toledo Show in April or I could enter it for you, appropriate box and shipping, etc. We could really inundate the judges with YJ variants, hmmm... a conspiracy, of sorts, haha! .

Ciao, rjf.

Ray, to clarify, that is Scott Keating's (vulturetec) Yellow Jacket, not mine. It is certainly show quality! Mine wouldn't look that good!

I'm cooking up a line launch 3.5 and the new 2m GS with V-tail to follow. I haven't even yet opened the box on the 2m, the 3.5 is underway!
Jan 14, 2020, 12:48 PM
volare est vivere
hi there from Toledo!

Hey Greg;

you still have plenty of time to get ready for the Toledo Expo. I really like the conspiracy idea of flooding the judges with YJ variants. It would be a first for sure and hilarious too, not to mention a great boost for Sonoranlaserart.

Last Thursday my friend Eric brought the uncovered center panel to a YJ3m to the Weak Signals meeting. He is a machinist and does exquisite work in steel and wood too. It might show up at the Expo too, the more the merrier, I say. Tom Skulley will be bringing a YJ3.5me. And, I have heard rumors of two more in process in the Toledo area.

This could be huge. I will do my part, guaranteed.

Ciao, rjf.

ps: My apologies regarding provenance to Vulturetec but it is truly outstanding, nonetheless. rjf

pps: Hey Vulturetec, how can I get some of those cool Yellow Jacket graphics? rjf
Last edited by ray foley; Jan 14, 2020 at 01:04 PM.
Jan 15, 2020, 05:01 PM
ƃuıʇɐǝʞ ʇʇoɔs
Thanks Ray.

I found the "bug" graphic somewhere online as a raster .jpg then drew a multi-layer vector graphic of it. Anyone with a vinyl cutter can probably make it pretty easily, or do what I've done for decades and print the layers out as a guide and cut the monokote out with a #11 blade. I suspect Callie can take the files and either do the layers or print a single layer on vinyl like they did Larry's early on.

Here's an overview of the graphic with the layers:

I put the layers plus a composite into .svg files here: http://bit.ly/yjbugv1
Latest blog entry: Sagitta 600 build 2018
Jan 15, 2020, 06:19 PM
Corky.
Just a big thanks for the 2m Yellow Jacket kit. So neat and organized. Its going to be a fun build! It was fun meeting you and hope to see you again soon.

Best Paul
Jan 15, 2020, 07:02 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pn356
Corky.
Just a big thanks for the 2m Yellow Jacket kit. So neat and organized. Its going to be a fun build! It was fun meeting you and hope to see you again soon.

Best Paul
Thanks Paul, it was a pleasure for me too. I flew at Daveís yesterday and today too. The conditions were about the same but no other flyers were around.

Now that there will be F3RES flyers in the area Iím looking forward to flying and meeting more the guys. Let me know how your coming along and when your ready. Corky
Jan 18, 2020, 05:24 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Anatol P just emailed me this motor link from Aloft for the 2M. Looks very close to the SK3. It’s a hair longer but it is a rear mount with the same KV. Price is nice too. Currently in stock. Thank you Anatol.

https://alofthobbies.com/emax-xa2212...ess-motor.html
Jan 20, 2020, 09:41 PM
Flat overcast day. Almost no perciptable wind. 60m, 20 sec tales launch. 3 minutes no stick movement. Did it twice. Awesome little plane[.
Cary
Jan 20, 2020, 11:09 PM
Cary:

Ah, I think you know how to do it.

I once watched Jun Catacatun launch an F3K airplane, and fly straight out pretty much as far as I could see. He only touched the sticks twice: once to initiate a broad, gentle right-hand turn; and once again to straighten out on the return leg. His airplane crossed the field boundary at roughly half a meter, to land in-bounds and log 2:48 with out showing a single burble.

Yours, Greg
Jan 26, 2020, 05:34 PM
ƃuıʇɐǝʞ ʇʇoɔs
First flight(s) on my 2m today. Gentle hand toss took it to the other side of the field, really no trim needed. Only used my short lightweight 2m high start that usually yields about 150'. All launches were straight, easy, tow hook seemed perfect (.25" forward of the CG). Final ready to fly weight with a variometer and a tiny bit of lead shot for balancing was 17oz.

First two launches were for trimming and feeling it out, on the third launch I got a couple of bumps and managed a solid 6 minute flight without much hassle. I'm happy to say that on three of my short launches I managed to feel a little lift at around 30-40' high when I was setting up to land. On each of those I managed to coax it up to a solid 200' before coming back down. To put that into perspective, I don't think conditions were that outstanding and although I've done that before, I'm really not that good and have never been able to repeat that a few times in a row. Really feel like this one is a winner (hopefully I didn't jinx myself).

I ended up with 20 flights and 35 minutes logged.
Jan 26, 2020, 06:56 PM
Oh man, no better feeling than launching a new bird and being thrilled with the results. Congratulations!
Jan 26, 2020, 08:55 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Thanks for the update Scott, your new bird looks great.

Corky
Jan 28, 2020, 01:10 PM
ƃuıʇɐǝʞ ʇʇoɔs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbound
Oh man, no better feeling than launching a new bird and being thrilled with the results. Congratulations!
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudSniffer
Thanks for the update Scott, your new bird looks great.

Corky
Thanks! Now I need to finish my Antic and move on to the 3.5!

Quick Reply