Sep 12, 2019, 11:19 AM
Bob Olson

Bolts

Try cutting an extra groove with your Dremel or a hot screwdriver. Easypeasy.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2019, 12:39 PM
These are easier to control without slipping.
Sep 12, 2019, 02:41 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudSniffer
These are 10-32, in between 4MM and 5MM. The crash break point is where I want it so I'm afraid to go smaller or larger. It takes awhile to get that right. I do use 3mm Phillips on the stab mtg. I don't use 2mm anywhere.

I do use 4MM on the 1.5m and 1/4" on the 3M and 3.5M. The Phillips heads I have seen are taller and generally narrower than slot heads. I'm sure it's needed to accomodate the Phillips design using nylon.
Ah.. I misunderstood.. you are using 10-32, not metric?

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Sep 12, 2019, 04:39 PM
FWIW...a dime fits the slots in the nylon bolts on the YJ 2M......a quarter on the 3.5M.

I have been flying my YJ 2M electric all week since we are limited to 2M in the city park where we fly when the balloon field is closed for the Balloon Fiesta prep. The 2M limitation is a club rule not a city park rule.

The electric climbs like a rocket with a Turnigy 2836, 9.5 X 6 Aeronaut on 3S. Only half throttle needed. I am embarrassed to say that I was never able to figure out how to get the tapered nose on the elec. fuselage as seen in the various pics, and still have clearance for the motor wires so I just built it with a square nose and the extra drag, if any, has no effect on flight performance. A 38 mm spinner fairs in pretty well with just the square corners sticking out.
Sep 13, 2019, 08:52 PM
I posted this in the wrong thread...sorry.

I can add some more data on the wing screw story. ..I am getting ready for an Interclub contest in the morning and doing maintenance on my Slite and Electric YJ when the nylon screws on my Slite wouldn’t hold the wing securely. The screws wouldn’t tighten and the wing would rotate around the screws when moving the tip fore and aft. I had noticed something odd in my last flight last Saturday.

Upon further inspection, the threads on the nylon screws were mostly stripped probably from me over tightening them. Luckily I found I could replace them with M5 steel screws from my Xplorer. Lesson learned is to replace those nylon screws with metal equivalents or replace the nylon screws regularly. It’s pretty hard to inspect the threads so better to not be so parsimonious with these inexpensive fasteners. You can also be not so ham-handed as .I guess I am.

Off to Ace Hardware to shop for fasteners next week. I’ll take a look on line also.

Randy
Sep 14, 2019, 11:39 PM
A PPSS club mate, Austin CLEIS came in second out of 15 flyers at the Colorado Challenge Cup today. Actually his last two flights were with the Y.j as he broke his wing withe his XRES . He have never flown the YJ before or the TX. He did fly it very well indeed.
Sep 15, 2019, 10:32 AM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Reynolds
A PPSS club mate, Austin CLEIS came in second out of 15 flyers at the Colorado Challenge Cup today. Actually his last two flights were with the Y.j as he broke his wing withe his XRES . He have never flown the YJ before or the TX. He did fly it very well indeed.
Randy, was it a borrowed YJ? What happened to the XRes?

Thank you for sharing-looks like you guys had a great day of flying.
Sep 15, 2019, 11:23 AM
Yes it was my new electric Yellow Jacket featured above. It still needs several things to be refined like elevator compensation to spoilers, etc.

Austin's X-res suffered a damaged wing tip in a gust thst he taped up to a sort of straight version of it's former self but it didn't fly quite right. I offered my YJ and he jumped at it and now he wants to buy it :0) Austin bought my electric Euphoria 4M last year and now beats me and my Xplorer regularly. So if I sell him this electric YJ I'm afraid the same thing will happen. BTW, Austin is 83 years old
Sep 20, 2019, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedBurdick
Between thanksgiving and now I have built both versions (F3 RES and F3 RES Electric) of the Yellow-Jacket. I very much enjoyed the building both planes and I look forward to hand tossing each in the coming days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashbound
Those planes look great! You mentioned hand tossing. I've had a blast just throwing it and seeing if I could make two circles and catch. You're gonna love 'em!
I was looking back through this thread and ran across these two posts. Unbeknownst to either of these strangers at the time, in a few months we'd be on each other's team flying F3-RES together at the Nats with our Yellow Jackets. We came away from there as friends, at least on this end(Ned may not claim me). That's what I love about these forums
Sep 20, 2019, 03:01 PM
Amen!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Oct 02, 2019, 12:17 PM

For Sale 2M Yellow Jacket

Unfortunately I'm going to have to sell my electric 2m Yellow Jacket do to a health issue.

It's in pristine condition. It's only been flown once. I will not ship it but I can take it to our Visalia yearly CVRC Fall Festival contest this weekend. I'm asking $300.00 for it. Just add your RX and fly. If you fly using Futaba, I'll include the Rx for a little more.

I also have it's predecessor the Tarantula Hawk that I've never flown. It's in pristine condition also. It's a pure sailplane. I'll let it go for $200.00

I did a build log for both of these.

I'm going to post these and a couple others in the for sale forum, but thought I would post them here first.

Eddie
Oct 02, 2019, 01:22 PM
I am very sorry to hear you have to sell these, and if I had the funds right now, I would be all over them!!

I hope it is nothing serious, and you recover soon.

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Oct 02, 2019 at 01:37 PM.
Oct 02, 2019, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
I am very sorry to hear you have to sell these, and if I have the funds right now, I would be all over them!!

I hope it is nothing serious, and you recover soon.

SteveT.
Thanks, nothing real serious. Just old age getting in the way of things.
Oct 02, 2019, 02:08 PM
I'll take it. I'll be coming up on Saturday morning to watch for awhile. I'll bring you the cash. The next question is, how do I find you? BTW, its the YJ that I'm interested in. BTW, I fly FrSky so I won't need the Futaba RX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog2soar
Unfortunately I'm going to have to sell my electric 2m Yellow Jacket do to a health issue.

It's in pristine condition. It's only been flown once. I will not ship it but I can take it to our Visalia yearly CVRC Fall Festival contest this weekend. I'm asking $300.00 for it. Just add your RX and fly. If you fly using Futaba, I'll include the Rx for a little more.

I also have it's predecessor the Tarantula Hawk that I've never flown. It's in pristine condition also. It's a pure sailplane. I'll let it go for $200.00

I did a build log for both of these.

I'm going to post these and a couple others in the for sale forum, but thought I would post them here first.

Eddie
Last edited by georgeg; Oct 02, 2019 at 02:22 PM.
Oct 02, 2019, 02:31 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Eddie, sorry to hear you have to sell your planes and I hope your OK..

Eddie is fine builder and a great guy. He timed for me about a year and a half ago in Visalia at the bent wing.

Quick Reply