May 19, 2019, 01:39 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Nice swarm of Yellow Jackets there!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2019, 07:05 PM
Cool gathering!! Great to see a lot of pilots flying! Good job Corky!!
May 22, 2019, 08:57 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP

Yellow Jacket 1.5m

I finally had a whole day to play with the 1.5m. Finished drawing a bunch of parts and got them all cut. Some parts are in the shop curing but it’s starting to take shape. The goals are under 250g, nice hand launch, and it will go up a 4 lb bungee nicely. It goes together so quick I’m really enjoying it.

The table cloth almost matches the balsa so you have to look kind of closely. I have this one so you can take the wing apart. I think one piece will be the way to go. The wing will actually position a little further back, I have a former in the way now to hold the boom to hold the rudder vertical.

Added a better rudder shot. The stab will sit on top the boom like the 2M
Last edited by CloudSniffer; May 22, 2019 at 09:10 PM.
May 22, 2019, 09:04 PM
Very nice Corky!!

SteveT.
May 22, 2019, 09:18 PM
Balsa dust maker
I'll take one!

With a 2 piece wing if possible
May 22, 2019, 09:31 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech
I'll take one!

With a 2 piece wing if possible
Joe, it would be 3 piece. Your only talking some alum tube. Broken down it takes up very little room. I sure hope it meets all my goals because it's cool as a jewel. The wing is surprisingly stiff. The airfoil is thin there's really only room for a lower TE and center sheeting on the forward center section. It is designed for a little spoiler so I still need to explore servo's but I think I'm OK.
May 22, 2019, 09:34 PM
Just curious if someone could post pics of how the pushrods exit the boom on the 2m and connect to the control surfaces, this is quite a step up for the sig kits i have built Thank you in advance. Kind of hoping someone at the club wants to buy this when i'm done so i can justify building another, this is an enjoyable kit to build!
May 22, 2019, 09:37 PM
Balsa dust maker
I read it wrong...
3 piece 1.5m would be awesome for transport-ability .

Do you need a spoiler on a 1.5?
May 22, 2019, 09:42 PM

Pushrod exits on 2M

Here's my solution and both work flawlessly. I seem to remember more photos in the earlier days of this thread.
May 22, 2019, 09:51 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordRollo
Here's my solution and both work flawlessly. I seem to remember more photos in the earlier days of this thread.
You got it right. Looks like you need a strip of heavier covering under the fin. Shows you may have a few flights on this puppy.
May 22, 2019, 09:54 PM
Exactly what i needed thank you very much!
May 22, 2019, 09:54 PM
You're right, Corky! The hinge tape has gotten corrupted at the bottom of the rudder and the scrapes show the condition of my usual landing spot...a bit rough to say the least. Used to be a wonderful grass field, but the owners let it go to weeds.
May 22, 2019, 09:56 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech
I read it wrong...
3 piece 1.5m would be awesome for transport-ability .

Do you need a spoiler on a 1.5?
Depends, maybe I think do. If you happen to compete in precision with it then yes.
May 22, 2019, 10:10 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Thread OP
How’s this, your 3 piece. We will see how close I come to the weight goal.
May 22, 2019, 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudSniffer
You got it right. Looks like you need a strip of heavier covering under the fin. Shows you may have a few flights on this puppy.
A piece of thin Ty-rap glued on with Zap-A-Dap-A-Goo weighs next to nothing and makes a great tail skid...

SteveT.

Quick Reply