Yellow Jacket 2M Competition - RC Groups
Sep 11, 2017, 10:46 AM
Sonoran Laser Art
New Product

Yellow Jacket 2M Competition

I would like to share my new F3RES and Electric Sailplane design. I have been working on this for months and there has been quite a few changes as prototypes were built and test flown. Ur Wingman has worked with me a lot doing prototype builds and test flying so we could compare notes and observations.

We wanted a World Class F3RES model. It needed to be a 3 piece wing that is light, strong, and easy to build. Lower inertia in the outer panels makes it very responsive to lift and turning. Acquisition of new wing design software and feature upgrades to my laser software were needed to make this possible. For this type of design the cut accuracy must be as close to perfect as possible. In order to do this you must be able to offset kerf both inside and outside to maintain the airfoil and holes for CF tubes and LE. Further, you must be able to assemble it with minimal special tools or jigs.

Changes have been made from the completed plane in my photos to the final which I am currently building. Ur Wingman has completed the final build and test flown it several times. His previous build, same as the one I have completed has been winch launched into 17 MPH wind. I don't recommend that, but he reported little flex and no flutter. His words were it went up like it was shot out of cannon. His final version wing complete without covering weighs 6.75 oz. Ultracote light adds about 0.9 oz.

I have also designed a new stabilizer which is the one pictured. It is build up with an HT12 airfoil and sanding templates. It flies great, looks great, but I want to try one with a CF LE and cross spar to see if can lose a few grams, add some strength, and reduce a bunch of sanding.

The particular electric show below is balanced with not even 1g of weight. The 460 MAH battery is all the back In the front so if the CG needs to move a little forward for wind the battery can be repositioned. It weighs 19.1 oz.

Wing Span 78.5" Length 47.5". Wing Area 546 sq inches. Total flying Weight 15.8 oz. Wing Loading 4.16 oz/ft sq on my build.

Airfoil Dr Drella AG35-38

Here are some photos
Last edited by CloudSniffer; Oct 11, 2017 at 12:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2017, 11:28 AM
powered by caffine
Very cool!!
Sep 11, 2017, 12:00 PM
Awesome looking sailplane.
Sep 11, 2017, 02:55 PM
When will you have kits for sale?
Sep 11, 2017, 03:16 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeg
When will you have kits for sale?
I am close enough to start taking orders. The lead time is about 3-4 weeks as I determine how much material to order right now. They will be $189 plus about $15.00 shipping in the US priority mail 2-3 day. You would just email me your shipping address and name you want engraved on the top sheeting (custom) also if you want your AMA number. Also whether you want an electric pod or line launch F3RES pod. I then email a invoice when it's ready where you can use a cc or PayPal.

Email sonoranlaserart@cox.net

Corky
Sep 11, 2017, 03:46 PM
Corky:

Well done!

Yours, Greg
Sep 11, 2017, 03:58 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang
Corky:

Well done!

Yours, Greg
Thank you very much Greg
Sep 11, 2017, 04:02 PM
Sonoran Laser Art
Anyone with a T Hawk can order a Yellow Jacket Wing and Stab as the pod/fuse is the same. These are bolt on and you can choose which to use based on conditions. It will balance a little different though.
Sep 12, 2017, 09:53 AM
F3-RES is fun!
Here are some of the "Test wings" that I've built for the Tarantula Hawk and the Yellow Jacket. The only difference in the two planes are the wings. Going from the bottom of the pile are the Tarantula Hawk wings, built much in the fashion of Dr. Drela's Allegro lite. Next up is a balsa sheeted wing, much like the Allegro, but with a carbon tube spar. (I've flown this a great deal). The third wing set up, is the first prototype Yellow Jacket. I've flown this in 17 mph plus winds and launched from a winch. The top wing set, which is mounted on the plane, is the last prototype with thinner LE carbon tube and other refinements. I've had this out in some serious winds and quiet evenings. It is my favorite and also the lightest. I'm still testing it and comparing it to my AndREaS. Fly one and then fly the other... Stay tuned!
Your mileage may vary,
Jim
Sep 13, 2017, 03:21 PM
F3-RES is fun!
Well with flying the "Yellow Jacket" wing 2 hours yesterday and nearly an hour today, I can say that this plane is the best 2 meter plane I've ever flown! It performs wonderfully in quiet air, yet penetrates on windy days. As Corky mentioned, I flew this plane in 17 mph winds (yes, it was very turbulent near the ground) and launched it off a winch on that same day. On the winch, it shot up like it was launched from a cannon. I wouldn't attempt a heavy pedal stunt, but this wing (and fuselage) is plenty strong.
Just for reference, Corky and I have found setting the CG at 2.75" (from LE) is pretty nice. I'm just a touch back from that. Tow hook is just slightly forward of that.
Note to you present Tarantula Hawk guys that buy a Yellow Jacket wing. The CG is different. On a T.Hawk it is around 3.4 inches. You must rebalance unless you want to do some stunt flying!
Cheers,
Jim
Sep 13, 2017, 07:14 PM
Sonoran Laser Art

Yellow Jacket Weight

I made some progress on my latest wing build today and I am getting ready to cover. Here are some pics showing the weight. So together these weigh 14.2 oz. Add 0.9 oz for covering, so estimated at 15.1 oz. I will loose a hair with the new stab. The balance is going to be the final determination.
Last edited by CloudSniffer; Sep 14, 2017 at 09:44 AM.
Sep 19, 2017, 08:19 PM
F3-RES is fun!

Yellow Jacket #2

Yep, my second Yellow Jacket is done and ready to fly... Now if the local winds would drop to something below 10 mph! It weighs in at 15.75 oz. ready to fly. This one is 1 1/2 oz. lighter than my first one, due to changes in the wing design. I've actually flown this wing last Friday night, but on the earlier fuselage. Regarding the wing, I'm really happy with it: it loves the wind (that's all we seem to have here lately) and yet seems to float on the smallest thermal.
I almost had a "midair" on Friday! I was harassing a bunch of geese that were feeding on the corner of the grass I fly on. They must of thought I was an eagle swooping over them, because all 40-50 of them suddenly took flight when I was 50' over them. I quickly had to perform a "180" and fly with them, but quickly pulling the spoilers to land. Goose vs. 2 meter glider= Goose wins!
Yes, this is a agile, yet tough glider!
Your mileage may vary,
Jim
Sep 20, 2017, 07:58 AM
What is the price of a yellow jacket wing kit?
Sep 20, 2017, 08:23 AM
Sonoran Laser Art
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratter
What is the price of a yellow jacket wing kit?
A complete wing kit with the build plan is $110.00. The center cord is 8" and the mounting holes are 5". The mounting holes can easily be located anywhere in the center beam to adapt to a different fuse during the build.
Sep 20, 2017, 10:17 AM
F3-RES is fun!

Maiden voyage

The rain came through earlier this morning, and for a short time the winds were down to 5-10mph.. I rushed to the local church grassy field. Using a short high start (10meters rubber, 40 meters line) at 8:15am, I got exactly 3 test flights in. The first two were hand launches to adjust the stabilizer & rudder. The first and only high start was "Just fine", in fact I even found a small thermal!
The next weather front was rapidly approaching, and 2 minutes into the flight, the wind was suddenly gusting well over 10-15 mph. It was also amazing that suddenly I ran into a thermal and rapidly went up! I flew a minute or two longer and then landed, since it seemed wind and rain were again on the way... It handled well through all the wind variations.. I'm happy, the Yellow Jacket is a great plane!
Your mileage may vary,
Jim

My plane weighs 15.75 oz