Jul 26, 2021, 12:07 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianda217
I have no problem sharing any of my files. I do this as a hobby and have no interest in keeping secrets. What I have at the moment is a 3D printed canopy, 1mm thick with a recess for a full size air unit. Les (Flynn203) flew it this morning and it seemed to work pretty well. Les insisted on retaining his 3S Li-ion pack which is pretty big and to accommodate it, the air unit has to stick out of the top of the hatch by about 5mm. What surprised me was how far forward we had to push the battery to get the CG in the correct area so I've modified the design to move the air unit forward so as to allow the battery to go a bit further back.

The other issue Les had was how to deal with routing the cable from the Air unit to the camera. I wanted to cut a slot in the top of the nose to let us push the cable down into place but Les vetoed this on the grounds of strength. I got round the problem by removing the bottom plate from the Air Unit and pulling out the very small connector plug. This allowed me to thread the cable through the slot provided in the Nano Goblin and up through the bottom of the hatch and then refit it into the Air unit.

I've attached a couple of pictures to show the variants currently available.

The basic sketching was done in AutoCAD and the 3D modelling was done in Fusion 360. What files would you like?
The model looks very nice, I will try and make changes for different camera Tx's as I use Cadex AU & also 1.3 VTx's.

I prefer fusion 360 files as this is what I use. I really appreciate your willingness to share (it's very much appreciated). I'm fairly good at normal straight-line type 3D modelling but when it comes to compound curves I have a lot of learning to do. This should help to get things going.

NIgel.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2021, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan
Anyone with experience from the Nano Goblin & ZOHD Dart 250G and can give me some inputs how they compare?
My buddy has both, I can't comment on the flying but if you are looking for a sub 250 flyer, it was easier for him to get the NG under 250 than the Dart with full FC/GPS equipment.
Jul 26, 2021, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
My buddy has both, I can't comment on the flying but if you are looking for a sub 250 flyer, it was easier for him to get the NG under 250 than the Dart with full FC/GPS equipment.
Thanks, less weight initially make room for DJI digital vtx......and it seems to me by looking at pictures that the NG has a tad more wing area than the Dart 250G?
Jul 26, 2021, 12:47 PM
Lots of people have put a vista in the NG including myself. With a naked vista you can do it with very little effort including FC and GPS. (2s liion and stepup)

Many folks have done it with a regular vista but it requires some effort to trim weight.

My understanding is that with the Dart250, you can stay under 250g with the stock FC and AIO 5.8tx but there's little weight left for regular FC and video equipment.
Jul 26, 2021, 12:51 PM
Ok, it seems to me that the NG is the way to go - I have mostly larger planes and my current favourites are the Eachine Razor and the Atomrc Dolphin, very nice planes and the NG will be a good complement to them so I just placed an order for a NG kit at RMRC, thanks again.
Jul 26, 2021, 02:10 PM
So after my order today for the NG kit at $59.99 I am looking at what parts to use, is it fair to say that these are the recommended ones?:

Emax 9051 x2
Emax RS1606 4000kv

And as I will use the Kopilot as it works extremly good for me in some of my other planes I will need a non opto esc, my favs are the Hobbywing V5 series and in this case should I go for a 20A or 30A?

Prop?
Batt? 2S or 3S Li-ion?

Any mods that are a "must do" or highly recommended?
Jul 26, 2021, 03:34 PM
Are you looking to stay under 250g and/or add DJI FPV?
Jul 26, 2021, 04:36 PM
Anyone mounted an Insta360 Go 2?

My new one just arrived. Trying keep it slightly more efficient then my old Go 1 mount.

Current idea is to use the magnets to attach it combined with partially embedding in the foam. Seems like it should work...then I might make an aerodynamic cover for when I don't want to fly with the Go2.

Jul 27, 2021, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342
Are you looking to stay under 250g and/or add DJI FPV?
250gr is not a problem for me (yet) so I will just go for the best parts, yes DJI Fpv ultimatly (when stuff will be back in stock).
I actually already have an EMAX RS1606 3300kv so is 3S & 18650 a good option then, better than 1606 & 4000kv & 2S?
Or shall I go with 1606 & 4000kv & 3S? I am not looking for a speed demon, I got the Atomrc Dolphin for that.
But a high cruise speed is preferable and about 60 min airtime.

I understand that with 2S I need a step-up for DJI and with 3S I dont need that?
Last edited by tritan; Jul 27, 2021 at 02:19 AM.
Jul 27, 2021, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk
The model looks very nice, I will try and make changes for different camera Tx's as I use Cadex AU & also 1.3 VTx's.

I prefer fusion 360 files as this is what I use. I really appreciate your willingness to share (it's very much appreciated). I'm fairly good at normal straight-line type 3D modelling but when it comes to compound curves I have a lot of learning to do. This should help to get things going.

NIgel.
I've cleaned up the Fusion 360 drawing and have attached it as a Fusion file and also as a step file. RCGroups system will not accept the file types directly so I have added ".doc" to the file names. All you need to do is delete the".doc" and they should work ok. Let me know if you have any problems and I will get them to you some other way.

You should be able to make changes to suit different Vtx's and the like. There is a socket on the rear of the canopy to take an 8mm diameter magnet
Jul 27, 2021, 06:02 AM
Uh Oh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianda217
I've cleaned up the Fusion 360 drawing and have attached it as a Fusion file and also as a step file. RCGroups system will not accept the file types directly so I have added ".doc" to the file names. All you need to do is delete the".doc" and they should work ok. Let me know if you have any problems and I will get them to you some other way.

You should be able to make changes to suit different Vtx's and the like. There is a socket on the rear of the canopy to take an 8mm diameter magnet
Hi Friend,
I would like to have the cover fabricated, but it seems like commercial makers need STL files. Might you make this available in STL?
Kind regards!
Jul 27, 2021, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax1
Hi Friend,
I would like to have the cover fabricated, but it seems like commercial makers need STL files. Might you make this available in STL?
Kind regards!
A couple of points- firstly, many commercial makers accept a range of file types, including STEP, but I've converted it to STL for you anyway.
Secondly, and more importantly, it looks to me like that model is a fusion of the canopy, the air unit, and the clamp on top. Basically, it's not what you'd want to print to be useful. Maybe the creator can check it and revise it.
Jul 27, 2021, 06:46 AM
Not sure what you mean Ben, the point of the design was a canopy to hold the AU.
Jul 27, 2021, 07:07 AM
I couldn't upload the .stl files as they were too big so I have uploaded them on to Thingiverse. I have uploaded separate versions for 2S batteries where the Air Unit is flush with the hatch (also accepts 3S lipos) and for 3S Li-ion cells where the Air unit sticks out of the hatch by about 4mm.

Link to files: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4918216
Jul 27, 2021, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan
250gr is not a problem for me (yet) so I will just go for the best parts, yes DJI Fpv ultimatly (when stuff will be back in stock).
I actually already have an EMAX RS1606 3300kv so is 3S & 18650 a good option then, better than 1606 & 4000kv & 2S?
Or shall I go with 1606 & 4000kv & 3S? I am not looking for a speed demon, I got the Atomrc Dolphin for that.
But a high cruise speed is preferable and about 60 min airtime.

I understand that with 2S I need a step-up for DJI and with 3S I dont need that?
I wouldn't be able to help you choose a power system or estimate flight times but 3s means you don't need a step up for DJI. LiIon drop to about 3.9v per cell almost as soon as you take off and drop like a rock again at 3v all the way down to no more go juice.

Quick Reply