Jan 23, 2020, 05:05 PM
fly by night
So I got my bench test power supply today. hooked it up to the nanogoblin and turned the knobs...

turns out this Rush Tank vTx rated at minimum 7 volts, runs fine right down to like 4.5 volts. Actually the 5V rated camera cut out before the vTx did.

also the Matek F411w FC which says it is rated down to 6.5 volts did not reboot either at any point down to 4.5 volts.

nice how it shows how well the telemetry is calibrated too. the FC is doing not bad fo rthis.

edit - I went back down to the shop and tested everything at max vtx milliwatts and even with the motor spun up to maybe 5 watts. No loss in video at 4.7 volts, no reboot. nice. I think I am going to like flying with this Rush Tank VTX

Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Jan 23, 2020 at 10:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 23, 2020, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
So I got my bench test power supply today. hooked it up to the nanogoblin and turned the knobs...

turns out this Rush Tank vTx rated at minimum 7 volts, runs fine right down to like 4.5 volts. Actually the 5V rated camera cut out before the vTx did.

also the Matek F411w FC which says it is rated down to 6.5 volts did not reboot either at any point down to 4.5 volts.

nice how it shows how well the telemetry is calibrated too. the FC is doing not bad fo rthis.

edit - I went back down to the shop and tested everything at max vtx milliwatts and even with the motor spun up to maybe 5 watts. No loss in video at 4.7 volts, no reboot. nice. I think I am going to like flying with this Rush Tank VTX

BCSaltchucker, Thanks for the info. That was the 800MW version tank also?
Jan 24, 2020, 12:36 AM
fly by night
500mW max
Jan 24, 2020, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Kuiper - that is a fascinating project. But I do wonder what it will be like trying to fly in manual mode with the main fpv feed being roll stabilized? I guess in Horizon it would be OK.
You are mostly stuck flying Angle or Horizon mode. I already have done this to a certain extent because I fly a EIS camera on my Mini Talon. The camera buffers out all the bumps and jostles and you cant really get a true feel for what orientation the wings are at; an issue for landing because you risk scraping a wingtip.

You rely on more heavily on IFR (instrument flight rules) and the flight controller's self-right feature to land it smooth compared to regular old "stab off" mode.
Jan 24, 2020, 03:56 PM
fly by night
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
From my previous experience with
servo driven camera stabilization, I've always found that it lags too far behind,
and often shows up the steps of the servo inducing jello.
Would you think that a high end DLG servo might be a more ideal choice for roll-stab-on-cam project? I often wonder what makes those DLG servos so special that they cost fifty bucks each. they are tiny, solid and fast though. I guess coreless motors help for this

I see the Camstab mode in iNav is on a switch control, so I guess we can turn it off for crucial phases of flight or just for doing aerobatics using a switch.

I also wonder if the camera is going to wobble a bit being glued to a tiny servo horn like that. I'd be inclined to want to do roll stab with a Split camera not some low end nano analog camera, but the weight of the split cam unit would likely cause more wobble and jello than with the wee analog camera. Andrew Newton made up a big widget apparatus for the Mobius that would not allow for wobbling.
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Jan 25, 2020 at 07:16 PM.
Jan 25, 2020, 08:27 PM
I have been away for a while due to work and not able to fly but a couple times over the past few months. After not being able to get my 405 board to work I just flew the NG bare bones with 433 IRC rx as a proximity plane. Things have calmed down and now I’m back to flying. I needed a quick and easy fc board with rth so I ended up getting the new ZOHD Kopilot and had it installed in about 30 mins with crossfire Nano rx. Got it all fixed up and tested it out. Unfortunately the right servo had gone bad. After putting a test servo in everything worked properly but I have to wait for the replacement to arrive on Wednesday. If you have not seen the Kopilot it’s a quick, super easy install with rth. There is no OSD but the rth works by taking the plane up or down to 150 feet above launch point and bring it home. Also has a launch mode. I have a Caddx that displays voltage so that’s my “OSD” and seems accurate enough to know when to come home. NG is still about 245g with it installed. When I get it airborne later this week I will let you know how well it works.
Does the 4.1x4.1 prop give more push power? I need a bit more for our winds.
Last edited by Redag; Jan 25, 2020 at 08:36 PM.
Jan 25, 2020, 09:00 PM
Maidened my NG with Caddx Vista today. Unfortunately the wind was
blowing 25-35mph, over a nearby ridge causing massive turbulence, so the flight
was extremely rough. NG is capable enough to handle a lot of wind, but was
generally unpleasant flying, and not worth posting the video.

My current AUW is 257g. Getting it down to 250g is possible.
That's with a CLRACING F4 Air V2 FC, no GPS, and an X4RSB RC Rx.
The Rx weighs 4g, while an R-XSR, R9MM or CrossFIRE nano weighs 1g, so subtract 3
there.
My fancy adjustable step up regulator weighs 4g, but a Polulu 9V step up regulator (model U3V12F9)
weighs 0.4g (but would be running right at its limit), so subtract another 3, and I'm at 251g.
My home built 2S LiIon pack uses hot glue and electrical tape, and a big patch of
velcro on the bottom to stick it to the floor.
It weighs 102g, which is 7g more than two bare cells, so
shaving off another 1g should be pretty easy with a cleaner battery build.
To get GPS into this build at this weight, I'd need to reduce the velcro inside the plane
and shorten a bunch of wires and such.
Last edited by Daemon; Jan 25, 2020 at 09:05 PM.
Jan 26, 2020, 02:34 AM
fly by night
good to know, the Vista is getting close to 250g

I also maidened my conventional build kit nanogoblin yesterday. Uneventful, but also unusual because absolutely everything worked on first try, even the first launch using autolaunch, the gps, the trim, the piff, the rth, the XF receiver signal quality telemetry. This with a fresh inav 2.3 firmware updated and a new 3500mah pack I just made. dumb luck or i just got used to building these
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Jan 26, 2020 at 03:01 AM.
Jan 26, 2020, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
Maidened my NG with Caddx Vista today. .
Is it worth ditching the 12v upconverter with 2s LiOn in favor of a ~90g 3s lipo battery? I guess it will be costly in flight time.

What did you use for the Vista antenna?
Jan 26, 2020, 02:16 PM
I am loath to move to a smaller battery. One of the things I like about the NG is that I can
can cruise around near full throttle for 30+ minutes or cruise more moderately for
an hour (or more likely 3 flights in an hour on the same pack).

Stock Caddx antenna for now. I'll probably try a linear dipole, but it'll only save a gram or so.
Jan 29, 2020, 09:12 AM
Gravity is patient............
You guys that have been flying the NG for awhile, do you trust the screw tightened servo connection at the control horns? That scares me and I am thinking I will change those out with a screw thread clevis style.
Jan 29, 2020, 02:50 PM
Hi all,
Could anyone please measure and suggest me what's the max size prop nano gbln's frame can accommodate?Thanks
Jan 29, 2020, 03:35 PM
Asking because my plane is on order and want to arrange a prop before hand.Thanks.
Jan 29, 2020, 06:18 PM
my oversized 4.75 x 4.75 prop fits with way plenty room to spare. The suggested prop is 4.1 x4.1

See post 4676 for a picture
Jan 29, 2020, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuiperJ
my oversized 4.75 x 4.75 prop fits with way plenty room to spare. The suggested prop is 4.1 x4.1

See post 4676 for a picture
Thanks kuiperJ.

Yes it looks like lots of room.I am thinking trying Graupner cam speed 6x6 prop with some lower kv motor on 3S.What do you think?Will it contribute to torque roll?

Quick Reply