Sep 12, 2017, 03:15 PM
Guess Who's Back? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudballs
lol I can fix the motor mount but 1306 or 2306 its really just one number difference !!heavy plus crap ton of power usually is perfect

how about a picture of the motor mount ?
It is just drilled to a 12x12 mounting pattern.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2017, 03:44 PM
So is it a plastic mount like on the full size or just a piece of plywood with holes glued to the back ?
Sep 12, 2017, 07:02 PM
RMRC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudballs
So is it a plastic mount like on the full size or just a piece of plywood with holes glued to the back ?
Motor mount itself is carbon fiber. The part that is glued to the plane is ply with blind nuts. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.
Sep 12, 2017, 10:50 PM
Team Futaba / Team RMRC
Really enjoyed flying the the Strix Nano Goblin this past weekend. I was able to fly it through parts of the Quad course this past weekend at the FPV Festival.
Sep 12, 2017, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid
Really enjoyed flying the the Strix Nano Goblin this past weekend. I was able to fly it through parts of the Quad course this past weekend at the FPV Festival.

And a through a flag.
Sep 13, 2017, 10:18 PM
So do you have any speed data vs current draw? 40 min seems pretty good, but how fast is it going?
Sep 14, 2017, 08:14 AM
Guess Who's Back? :D
Ill hopefully have have some data next week, going to add a micro vector to it, but but close to 70 at 7-8a top speed, cruise is probably as low as 25-30 maybe lower. no idea...

Svede??
Sep 14, 2017, 10:29 AM
I'm running an 1106 on a 3x2 prop so it may not be that relevant to the production setup which is a 1407 I believe that maxes out close to 70-80 watts. Landing speed is around 25mph at 8oz weight, my setup pulls 19 watts at 40-42mph and 32 watts at 50-55mph according to my Inav OSD, which has proven impossible to get calibrated 100% correctly. It's sorta close, but not perfect so take those numbers with a grain of salt. For various reasons I expect the production model to be slightly more efficient than the prototype I have in hand.

The first prototype lasted 91 minutes on a two cell NCR-B at 8oz with mobius glued to the top of the canopy. That was LOS, watching very carefully and keeping it no more than one to two clicks above minimum throttle necessary to maintain altitude. It would be hard to be that precise without stalling out FPV, so not what anyone would be doing with their model, but it was able to do it.

The production setup is more fun, I've been exploring more efficient setups for those leaning the efficiency direction but it is a bit more anemic. Park and general flying are better on the production power setup.
Last edited by Svede; Sep 14, 2017 at 10:35 AM.
Sep 14, 2017, 11:34 AM
What's the stock propeller? It sounds like a fun endurance plane. Why would a plank like this be more efficient than a flying wing with all the components buried?
Sep 14, 2017, 12:14 PM
I don't know what the stock propeller will be, I've seen a lot of different ones used so far. Will probably be a 4" diameter anyway. Planks can be more efficient across a wider speed range than a typical flying wing, but a swept flying wing can potentially at least be more efficient at one specific design point and then fall away more rapidly on either side than a plank. That is a "it really depends" statement though.
Sep 14, 2017, 12:25 PM
So I guess my question is why is a plank more efficient at a wider range of speeds? Is it because it doesn't need washout?
Sep 14, 2017, 12:43 PM
Swept wings need winglets to be efficient, but winglets also only work really well at one design lift coefficient before they actually start increasing drag and directionally fighting each other. Center fins don't have that problem as they don't see nearly as much variation in spanwise flow. Washout can further narrow the efficiency window but also increase its efficiency peak. For really fast models flying near a zero lift coefficient all the time a swept wing without winglets is probably not less efficient than a plank, but as soon as you start needing to fly at a higher lift coefficient that will quickly favor the plank. All things being equal.
Sep 14, 2017, 08:15 PM
This afternoon I went out and just flew with the throttle pegged the whole time. Take the results as a vague guide, watching the video there was nothing over 70mph and yet a 160mph blip was recorded as the max speed. That may throw in to question the distance traveled, but it does seem semi-accurate based on the average speed it calculates of 46mph (flying in near windless conditions and earlier in the battery that is closer to 53-55mph according to INav). The current sensor also recorded 2300mah consumed, while 2650mah was actually put back into the cells. I don't expect much more accuracy to be gained using INav to get it, but I wanted to try out INav so there you have it. YMMV.
Sep 14, 2017, 08:19 PM
Another factor is airfoil thickness. To all bury your gear in a flying wing, it has to be as thick
as the the gear itself. A thicker airfoil needs to have a proportionally longer chord, particularly
near the root, and typically that results in a lower overall aspect ratio, and thus lower L/D.
The plank has a fixed amount of platform drag from the fuse, and usually a much
thinner and higher aspect wing with lower L/D which pays off more and more the faster you go.

The advantage wings have is they usually are a little less sensitive to CG position,
and will fly at a bit slower speeds which aids launch and landing.
Sep 15, 2017, 07:08 AM
RMRC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
The advantage wings have is they usually are a little less sensitive to CG position,
and will fly at a bit slower speeds which aids launch and landing.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how slow this little guy can go and how simple it is to launch. It's not slow enough for a gym, however.

Quick Reply