Holybro Kopis 1 - Page 5 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Oct 21, 2017, 06:52 AM
Professional UAV Services
Redemptioner's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TydraFPV
someone really needs to try 5s or 6s. i want a quad for 5-6s and this looks like my best bet (besides the darkmax but the components arent too good on that one)
5s has been running fine for me
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2017, 05:57 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
JohnCC's Avatar
Just posting to say I absolutely love the kopis. Had my first 3 flights today and I'm in love. The tune obviously needs work to compensate for my runcam 3's weight but it still did very well.

As someone who thought HolyBro 180 and 180 pro were pieces of trash, this is amazing.

Holybro Kopis 1 Brushless FPV Racing Drone (2 min 36 sec)
Last edited by JohnCC; Oct 22, 2017 at 12:02 AM.
Oct 22, 2017, 04:02 AM
Registered User
Hi fellow Kopis 1 owners,

I have great troubles with my Kopis.
Can someone help me?


I have successfully set up the Frsky R-XSR receiver (after about 1hour trying to bind it to my Taranis X7...and after flashing it with the newest firmware) and had some LOS flights to set up the rates and expo I wanted to have. Everything was fine in LOS.

Yesterday I had my first FPV flight, and the range of the Atlatl VTX was ridiculous short!
I tried to set the mW via OSD to 200, and the OSD did confirm the change,
but it does not really save it. I know this because after changing channels and band,
the image still stays displays with the old settings on my Skyzone goggles.

After "Save & Reboot"all VTX settings get reset to 25mW and the start values (Boscam, channel 1 and so on).

I did a Betaflight Update a few days ago and thought everything went okay, but somehow I cannot confirm I have the right settings, I only have a partial backup.

Can anyone send me the "diff" of his settings for betaflight or post screenshots or a backup file? I have the suspicion my UART setup is wrong.
I attached a screen below, do you see anything wrong? I am puzzled why I can change all other settings in OSD and save them, but not the VTX?

Please someone, help a fellow Kopis owner?
Regards,

QuadmakerAUT
Oct 22, 2017, 04:45 AM
Registered User
If you can read, it is an advantage...
I took the settings posted by Volt_Ampere as base settings, suddenly everything works again.
I do not know what caused the failure of the VTX to not save the settings, but now it does it again.
Had to change the receiver to SBUS and the TAER model, but everything else is just fine.
Thanks Volt_Ampere!

Maybe we should make a sticky post with base settings for guys like me who mess their backups up...



Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadmakerAUT
Hi fellow Kopis 1 owners,

I have great troubles with my Kopis.
Can someone help me?


I have successfully set up the Frsky R-XSR receiver (after about 1hour trying to bind it to my Taranis X7...and after flashing it with the newest firmware) and had some LOS flights to set up the rates and expo I wanted to have. Everything was fine in LOS.

Yesterday I had my first FPV flight, and the range of the Atlatl VTX was ridiculous short!
I tried to set the mW via OSD to 200, and the OSD did confirm the change,
but it does not really save it. I know this because after changing channels and band,
the image still stays displays with the old settings on my Skyzone goggles.

After "Save & Reboot"all VTX settings get reset to 25mW and the start values (Boscam, channel 1 and so on).

I did a Betaflight Update a few days ago and thought everything went okay, but somehow I cannot confirm I have the right settings, I only have a partial backup.

Can anyone send me the "diff" of his settings for betaflight or post screenshots or a backup file? I have the suspicion my UART setup is wrong.
I attached a screen below, do you see anything wrong? I am puzzled why I can change all other settings in OSD and save them, but not the VTX?

Please someone, help a fellow Kopis owner?
Regards,

QuadmakerAUT
Oct 22, 2017, 09:14 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemptioner
5s has been running fine for me
Really? Thank you so much for the reply, i havent been able to get anybody else who owns the quad to give me an answer, thats great news, buying this quad tomorrow!
Oct 22, 2017, 09:23 AM
Started flying in 1992...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irock1985
Tell me about it lol I'm at around what 1,200 subs after over a year and a half.... It's kind of like the market is flooded nowadays it with review channels and whatnot the big ones have all been in many years and we're ahead of the pack for the most part

I see the level of quality you put into your videos a lot higher than mine so I know you put a lot of time into your Channel especially on video editing
I do think that you're right although I am frustrated by the number of review channels that ONLY want to sell, they say that everything is brilliant, use click-bait thumbnails like "OMG" and "Best in 2017"...I just wish that the viewers would see through it and unsub such channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
I think the only way these days to build more subscribers is to offer some freebies, like some offer a lottery for older review samples. Or be a really hot girl maybe.
Yeah I think that you're right, I've decided that once I get to 5,000 subs I'll be giving away some freebies, largely because I haven't got the room anymore for all of the stuff that I review haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danq0
Seriously awesome videos! just subbed you I dont think youre doing anything wrong, you have a ton of subs, id be happy to have even a fraction of your subs lol.
Im going through the same thing, it kinda sucks to spend hours upon hours upon hours on a video, and only getting a few views haha. Ive thought about quitting many times, but something always pulls me back in
Thanks Danq, I do spend a long long time producing my videos, I believe that its at least 8-10 hours per review, which is madness, but then I do absolutely love making videos, and of course flying quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by TydraFPV
someone really needs to try 5s or 6s. i want a quad for 5-6s and this looks like my best bet (besides the darkmax but the components arent too good on that one)
I wouldn't because the motors are only rated up to 4s - fly with a 5s or 6s and you risk destroying your motors if flying at high revs - plus remember as well as the ESC's are only rated for 30amps, you can easily hit that on a 4s per motor and so on a 5s or 6s you'll be beyond it.
Oct 22, 2017, 10:14 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadmakerAUT
Hi fellow Kopis 1 owners,

I have great troubles with my Kopis.
Can someone help me?


I have successfully set up the Frsky R-XSR receiver (after about 1hour trying to bind it to my Taranis X7...and after flashing it with the newest firmware) and had some LOS flights to set up the rates and expo I wanted to have. Everything was fine in LOS.

Yesterday I had my first FPV flight, and the range of the Atlatl VTX was ridiculous short!
I tried to set the mW via OSD to 200, and the OSD did confirm the change,
but it does not really save it. I know this because after changing channels and band,
the image still stays displays with the old settings on my Skyzone goggles.

After "Save & Reboot"all VTX settings get reset to 25mW and the start values (Boscam, channel 1 and so on).

I did a Betaflight Update a few days ago and thought everything went okay, but somehow I cannot confirm I have the right settings, I only have a partial backup.

Can anyone send me the "diff" of his settings for betaflight or post screenshots or a backup file? I have the suspicion my UART setup is wrong.
I attached a screen below, do you see anything wrong? I am puzzled why I can change all other settings in OSD and save them, but not the VTX?

Please someone, help a fellow Kopis owner?
Regards,

QuadmakerAUT
UART6 set to 'IRC Tramp'
Last edited by mogupu; Oct 22, 2017 at 11:17 PM.
Oct 23, 2017, 01:29 AM
Professional UAV Services
Redemptioner's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantAsh
I wouldn't because the motors are only rated up to 4s - fly with a 5s or 6s and you risk destroying your motors if flying at high revs - plus remember as well as the ESC's are only rated for 30amps, you can easily hit that on a 4s per motor and so on a 5s or 6s you'll be beyond it.
Oh lol, motors don't have a voltage rating, they have a wattage rating. Just because some numpty writes 2-4S on the side of the box does not mean the motor can only run those voltages..... 99% of racing motors have 2-4s stamped on the side because people are too dumb to work out the amperage for the different voltages, so instead the manufactures put a nonsense ratting like 2-4S on the side for people to feel like they made the right choice. General rule of thumb is every 1 - 1.5S you go up in voltage you have to reduce the prop size by about 1" or reduce the number of blades by 1 in order to keep the motors within their set rating.

Not sure what props you are spinning but I don't get anywhere near 30A an esc (on 4S), and considering you don't just hold WOT all the time it is hardly worth mentioning, even if it went as high as 40A it is only going to be for a second or so and hardly heat up the ESC. but hey, lets do some maths to see what happens;
- ESC pulling 30A at 4S (16.8V) is going to be drawing 504W of power,
assuming we don't change the motors and set the motors max wattage at 504W (in other words motors were maxed out at 30A on 4S)
- at 5S (21V) that will be 24Amps draw on the ESC for the same wattage, that's 6amps less than before by going up in voltage
- at 6S (25.2) that will be 20Amps drawn on the ESC for the same wattage, that's 4amps less than before, by going up in voltage, and 10amps less than 4S

As you can see going up in voltage puts less current through the ESC and therefore less heat stress on the ESC, seeing as these ESC's are rated for 6S, the closer to 6S the input is to the ESC's the happier they will be (in general). The props supplied with the Kopis works fine on 5S but the motors get warmer than I like on 6S with stock props(really needs a smaller tip and skinnier blade profile for 6S), if you can touch the motors after 20 secs of flight then you are good to go..
Oct 23, 2017, 05:21 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemptioner
Oh lol, motors don't have a voltage rating, they have a wattage rating. Just because some numpty writes 2-4S on the side of the box does not mean the motor can only run those voltages..... 99% of racing motors have 2-4s stamped on the side because people are too dumb to work out the amperage for the different voltages, so instead the manufactures put a nonsense ratting like 2-4S on the side for people to feel like they made the right choice. General rule of thumb is every 1 - 1.5S you go up in voltage you have to reduce the prop size by about 1" or reduce the number of blades by 1 in order to keep the motors within their set rating.

Not sure what props you are spinning but I don't get anywhere near 30A an esc (on 4S), and considering you don't just hold WOT all the time it is hardly worth mentioning, even if it went as high as 40A it is only going to be for a second or so and hardly heat up the ESC. but hey, lets do some maths to see what happens;
- ESC pulling 30A at 4S (16.8V) is going to be drawing 504W of power,
assuming we don't change the motors and set the motors max wattage at 504W (in other words motors were maxed out at 30A on 4S)
- at 5S (21V) that will be 24Amps draw on the ESC for the same wattage, that's 6amps less than before by going up in voltage
- at 6S (25.2) that will be 20Amps drawn on the ESC for the same wattage, that's 4amps less than before, by going up in voltage, and 10amps less than 4S

As you can see going up in voltage puts less current through the ESC and therefore less heat stress on the ESC, seeing as these ESC's are rated for 6S, the closer to 6S the input is to the ESC's the happier they will be (in general). The props supplied with the Kopis works fine on 5S but the motors get warmer than I like on 6S with stock props(really needs a smaller tip and skinnier blade profile for 6S), if you can touch the motors after 20 secs of flight then you are good to go..
Thats great news! i just ordered my kopis a few hours ago. keep me updated if you find a good prop for 5s and 6s. you are a lifesaver.
Oct 23, 2017, 05:33 AM
Started flying in 1992...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TydraFPV
Thats great news! i just ordered my kopis a few hours ago. keep me updated if you find a good prop for 5s and 6s. you are a lifesaver.
If I were you, fly it on 4s initially as you may find that the higher voltage is counter-productive - the Kopis 1 on 4s with a good high C (150C) battery is just beautiful.
Oct 23, 2017, 05:37 AM
Started flying in 1992...
Talking of batteries, there's only one glitch that we've found so far in our testing - with a very high C battery (150C burst) 4s, when punching the quad basically FOD's - we suspect either a cold-solder joint or a PID issue and we're investigating now and will report back. The same issue doesn't occur with a 65C burst 4s.
Last edited by SergeantAsh; Oct 23, 2017 at 04:52 PM.
Oct 23, 2017, 09:24 AM
THE KHRASH PAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strief
Heh me too. Just got mine, saved everything, screenshots of all pages in BF. Noticed they did not have dynamic filtering on, or antigravity. Nor were they available in the firmware they have.

I *was* planning on flying before applying 3.2.1, but had it connected at lunch, and figured ... why not? Hope I'm ok, the basics look fine in BF 3.2.1

What was the mess you ran into Arba?

PS: Yes hoping we come up with a nice solution for protecting these cameras.
Just a quick update, everything was fine on my Kopis after 3.2.1. Running great and I had no issues removing notch, turning on Dynamic Filtering, etc. I'll post up some of the raw maiden flight session video soon.
Oct 23, 2017, 04:24 PM
aka RCFlyer85
Irock1985's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantAsh
Talking of batteries, there's only one glitch that we've found so far in our testing - with a very high C battery (150C) 4s, when punching the quad basically FOD's - we suspect either a cold-solder joint or a PID issue and we're investigating now and will report back. The same issue doesn't occur with a 65C 4s.
I highly doubt any lipo is 150c... Do you have OSD? If so what is the voltage dropping to when you get FOD's?
Oct 23, 2017, 04:52 PM
Started flying in 1992...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irock1985
I highly doubt any lipo is 150c... Do you have OSD? If so what is the voltage dropping to when you get FOD's?
Obviously not 150c continuous they were Tattu's with 75 continuous, 150c burst.

It occurred during the last spell of good weather and I didn't have time to investigate further but I'll do some debugging and pod reversion next time to try to find the root cause.
Oct 23, 2017, 09:35 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
JohnCC's Avatar
For what it's worth I am running CNHL "100C" batteries... great packs... but they are probably more like "75C", so I don't see this problem. Interesting.
Latest blog entry: Drones for Christmas! 🎅


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
News Holybro Kopis 1 Racing Drone Jason Cole FPV Racing 5 Oct 21, 2017 02:43 AM
Discussion Holybro Kopis 1 FPV Racing Drone 5mm Arm w/ F4 5.8G 40CH Dshot1200 RunCam Swift BobFromMars Banggood.com 0 Aug 29, 2017 07:47 AM
New Product Holybro Kopis 1 FPV Racing Drone smg24 Banggood.com 0 Aug 29, 2017 07:46 AM
New Product Holybro Kopis 1 - 300g BLHeli_32, Kakute, BF switchable VTX BNF/PNP D Gains Mini Multirotor Drones 0 Aug 29, 2017 04:09 AM
Discussion the HK/Holybro MultiWii 328P Flight Controller w/FTDI & DSM2 Port dutchcommando Multirotor Drone Electronics 682 Aug 14, 2015 10:18 PM