New to RC....HELP PLEASE - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 10, 2017, 03:10 PM
Help!

New to RC....HELP PLEASE

I'm new to RC and want to build a 36"-40" offshore fast supply/crew boat like the ones used in the Gulf of Mexico. Most of the newer boats have jet drives and bow thrusters but I want to make mine a twin screw. I saw a video of a guys twin setup. He had a Hobby King HK6S FHSS radio that had dual throttle control on the left stick. I looked at Hobby King online but can't seem to find it there or anywhere else! Can anyone help please?!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2017, 03:41 PM
I am not familiar with the radio of which you speak,, but Harbor Models does offer a twin throttle radio specifically for boats. It this the one you refer to?
http://www.harbormodels.com/radios.html
Jonathan
Sep 10, 2017, 05:27 PM
The REASON you cannot find it, is because it IS the "modified" HK6S, that is sold by Harbor Models.
They start life as a standard HK6S radio, and they do not re-logo the radio.

Also, don't start a "NEW" post, every time you post something.
Sep 10, 2017, 06:59 PM
boat butcher
welcome to the forum .

Mark
Sep 12, 2017, 12:01 AM
Jeno,Capt CB,yes that's the radio I was referring to. Thanks for the advice. This is the first time I've ever posted on a forum of any kind so please bare with me. I didn't realise the radio would be that expensive! Especially since the original is less than $50. I think for now I'll just use one ESC. Any suggestions on which one to use. I need one for forward and reverse. Also what size motors to use. I think 15-20 knots will be fast enough for scale speed. I want to find a small geared motor to use for the radar. If possible,I want to use a 7.2 V battery unless there is a better choice. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Sep 12, 2017, 05:38 AM
Troy,
The are a lot of variables when it comes to recommending an ESC. First and foremost it that it be able to handle all the current put thru it as demanded by the motor/s. That said, I would suggest that you do some reading, and research some of the posts on the Forum. There have been plenty of models similar to your built. Do the research, learn how and why the systems work, and you will be in a better position to fix it when it breaks. I know it is easy to just ask someone else, but there are so many ways to skin the cat and everyone has their own opinion.
I have not built a boat like yours, so I am not going to make a recommendation for motors, but I have used a number of different ESC's and my needs Electrolize on of the UK fills my needs nicely. http://electronize.net/
Jonathan
Sep 12, 2017, 08:41 PM
Thanks Mark.
Sep 13, 2017, 03:26 PM
I have, until the ferry I recently built, used Electronize speed controllers on all of my models for nearly 30 years, and can only say they are excellent pieces of very tactile and reliable units.