My ESC is trying to kill me? (Help : ESC problem on scooter) - RC Groups
Sep 10, 2017, 03:15 PM
Discussion

My ESC is trying to kill me? (Help : ESC problem on scooter)

'm working on a electric scooter. it goes really well but out of nowhere, sometimes, the esc just sets the speed to max.
I tried changing the servo tester and this stiill happens.
It doesnt just jump to the max speed right after I start it. It jumps to the max value after few minutes or even tens sometimes.
I almost broke my neck today...

The ESC I use : https://www.banggood.com/Hobbywing-S...?rmmds=myorder
The moto I use : https://www.banggood.com/Racerstar-6...?rmmds=myorder

I appreciate any help!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2017, 10:32 PM
For me, consider a quality ESC like the $$$$ Castle Creations Talon 120 Amp HV unit.

Mine has 170 flights on it, pulling 120 Amps. Never a hickup.

Also, these ESC's require a LOT of cooling air. Without air, they can overheat.
Sep 10, 2017, 11:30 PM
Sokol
try a separate battery and BEC to power the servo tester.
also check the wiring for intermittent connections.
If you can, avoid connectors all together.
Sep 11, 2017, 10:24 AM
Jack
Study the manual, use the first procedure every time you connect the battery. That way it sets the endpoints and unless the power is interrupted it will stay that way:

http://img.banggood.com/file/product...kywalkerV2.pdf

My notes added to the instructions with the //my notes// comments

Begin To Use Your New ESC - IMPORTANT! Because different transmitter has different throttle range, please calibrate throttle range before flying.

Throttle range setting (Throttle range should be reset whenever a new transmitter is being used) //even better is to do it at every single start up!!//

Switch on the transmitter. move throttle stick to the top position

//moving it to half or 3/4 throttle before turning TX on and then immediately going to top after you turn it on will work even better//

Connect battery pack to the ESC, and wait for about 2 seconds //wait for 2 seconds after getting it to top, not after turning it on//

The “Beep-Beep-” tone should be emitted, means the top point of throttle range has been confirmed

Move throttle stick to the bottom position, several “beep-” tones should be emitted to present the amount of battery cells

A long “Beep-” tone should be emitted, means the lowest point of throttle range has been correctly confirmed

//do the above at every start for most reliable setting of endpoints, it only takes a few seconds and will become a habit//

//you might try the following but I don't think it sets the endpoints and that is what makes the above procedure the best one to use//

Normal startup procedure

Move throttle stick to bottom position and then switch on transmitter.

Connect battery pack to ESC, special tone like “123” means power supply is OK

Several “beep-” tones should be emitted to present the amount of lithium battery cells

When self-test is finished, a long “beep-----” tone should be emitted

Move throttle stick upwards to go flying

//Good luck with it!//

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes; Sep 11, 2017 at 10:51 AM.
Sep 11, 2017, 10:36 AM
The CC Talon ESC can be programmed with fixed endpoints for throttle control. That way the throttle action never changes
Sep 11, 2017, 10:55 AM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollrathd
The CC Talon ESC can be programmed with fixed endpoints for throttle control. That way the throttle action never changes
When you program the endpoints, do they stay set that way through multiple startups with the throttle at 0%?

I ask because the manual for the Talon says to use that mid to full to zero start up to set them. I use the older Phoenix and TBird CC ESCs almost exclusively and use that mid-full-zero startup routing on all of them.

Jack
Sep 11, 2017, 11:46 AM
You should always have a "kill switch" on anything like this. Electronics do fail sometimes.
Sep 11, 2017, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes
When you program the endpoints, do they stay set that way through multiple startups with the throttle at 0%?

I

Jack
Yes
I've programmed my Talon 120 Amp HV ESC for fixed end points. Then adjusted my Spektrum DX9 transmitter to start the motor two clicks from off, and full power two clicks from full throttle.

After 150 flights , the ESC end points has never changed. Same setup on my Talon 90 Amp unit.
Sep 11, 2017, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere
You should always have a "kill switch" on anything like this. Electronics do fail sometimes.
Good point!

I have the throttle kill switch built into my Spektrum DX9 transmitter for all models.

For a kill switch on a skate board, very high power MosFet electronic switches are available to do the job. You can buy a 100 + Amp MosFet switch for under $30. They are turned on or off with a simple midget toggle switch, and a 9 Volt battery. The 9 Volt battery will last years. Not much else is required.

These things are equipped with screw terminals. I can provide part number and drawings if desired.

This could be rigged up as a dead mans switch on the skate board. Lift your foot, and power is instantly cut off.
Last edited by vollrathd; Sep 11, 2017 at 03:45 PM.
Sep 11, 2017, 03:58 PM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollrathd
Yes
I've programmed my Talon 120 Amp HV ESC for fixed end points. Then adjusted my Spektrum DX9 transmitter to start the motor two clicks from off, and full power two clicks from full throttle.

After 150 flights , the ESC end points has never changed. Same setup on my Talon 90 Amp unit.
Thanks for the info, I guess if these things would quit working I had a reason to buy some of the newer stuff from Castle Creations. But it's good to know that newer is better!

Jack
Sep 11, 2017, 04:49 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
Forum dedicated to e-traction: bikes, scooters, cars
www.endless-sphere.com

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Nov 06, 2017, 10:15 PM

200 Amp 100 Volt MosFet

I've picked up this MosFet from Digikey a few weeks ago. Preliminary tests, it's pretty much an absolute dead short when it's turned on.

It is going into my 4500 Watt electric model, pulling 125 Amps at full power. I'll be posting the project in RCGroups. Right now, I'm dealing with a very very sick spouse.