Raptor 50 to Electric - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 09, 2017, 08:49 PM
FG
FG
Build Log

Raptor 50 to Electric

It's not much of a build log but I wanted to share with yous. Here's what I have done up to this point in my Raptor 50 to Electric Conversion. Whats left is to get some 550mm blades and some 6s 22.2v 5000mah 35c lipos and she's flying. I plan to get some CNC parts to replace the plastic weak points of the Heli. This way I engineer a weak spot to absorb the Kinetic energy in a crash and not damage to much of the head components or drive train. I will post as I go along. This is not gonna be a rushed project as $ is tight right now. I may or may not have it airborne before the snow fly's.....we are trying though. Any questions feel free to ask.

Thunder Tiger Titan RAPTOR 50
Hyperion (scorpian) 4025-890kv motor
Talon 90 ESC
Quick UK Electric Motor Mount Conversion Kit
GRYO G 500T
8103 JR Tx
2- JR821 Digital
1- JR DS811 Digital
AR7000 Rx with sat Rx
JR 8303 Tx converted to 2.4gig
Last edited by FG; Nov 04, 2017 at 10:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2017, 11:14 AM
I have a Raptor 50 Titan ARF in a box here waiting for other projects to be finish..Why you want 550 blades and not 600 blades?

BA
Sep 15, 2017, 09:21 PM
FG
FG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Angel
Why you want 550 blades and not 600 blades?
According to the Calculator on the Castle Creations website its the best for efficiency. I plugged in the #'s and that's what gave the best run time and head speed I'm looking for with the stock gearing. As well in the conversions thread on the runryder.com website 550mm seems to be the best and work the best. I have done the research and the math.

https://www.ecalc.ch/helicalc.php?castle&lang=en

https://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/f92p1/
Sep 16, 2017, 04:34 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Wow.. been many years since i saw a heli with mechanical mixing! Good luck getting the old girl back in the air.
Sep 16, 2017, 05:38 AM
FG
FG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
Wow.. been many years since i saw a heli with mechanical mixing! Good luck getting the old girl back in the air.
Thank You. I was hoping to have it in the air before the snow flies but its not looking promising now. Installing the motor mounting plate is looking tedious. I read a thread on rcheliaddict.com about how he did it and it looks fiddly. I think if I remove the main shaft and rotor head and main gear I'll have more room to use my fingers to align the bolt holes in the motor and mounting plate. Its a pretty tight working space in the frame. I thought of stripping it down totally and opening the frame halves and installing that way then reassembling it but I don't think that's the way to go. That would be a royal PITA route to go. I dunno we will see what I decide. I work 1pm to 9pm 6 days a week right now so time to do it is a small window. Oh well a winter project I guess. I will post as I go along.
Sep 20, 2017, 01:32 PM
Hi FG

Many years ago I converted a Raptor 30 to electric. Still have it and still enjoy flying it, and it's now fbl as well.
Sure you won't be disappointed when you get yours in the air.

Jeff
Sep 22, 2017, 09:33 PM
FG
FG
Ya I'm excited to get it in the air. But I am facing a dilemma though. According to the castle creations Ecalc thingy. It keeps telling me 550mm blades will give me the best run time and head speed and be the most efficient....?? I have 622mm Thunder Tiger Blades (wide cord),and and 615mm CF blades (smaller cord), of an unknown brand that came with the Heli. I don't want to have to go out and buy another set of blades. What did you use and what is your set up...? as per gearing and blade size...? I'll be using 85 main gear and 10T pin gear. I have a 9T pin gear too. What would you suggest....?

FG
Sep 22, 2017, 09:49 PM
I would gone with any of your 6xx blades before the550. Are you aiming lower headspeed and better flytimes 6xx is a must i would say.

BA
Sep 23, 2017, 05:28 AM
FG
FG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Angel
I would gone with any of your 6xx blades before the550. Are you aiming lower head speed and better fly times 6xx is a must i would say.BA
I'm aiming for run time for the most part. I don't need any insane head speed that's for sure. I'm just a sport flyer. No 3D flying here. It's ugly and real Helicopters don't fly like that.
Sep 23, 2017, 06:41 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
With the motor Kv you have and the gearing i'd definitely go for the larger blades. Your going to be running low'ish headspeed so you want to have as much disk area as possible.
Sep 23, 2017, 05:04 PM
FG
FG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
With the motor Kv you have and the gearing i'd definitely go for the larger blades. Your going to be running low'ish headspeed so you want to have as much disk area as possible.
HM. I will use the lesser wide cord blades I have and go from there, as they are lighter than the thunder tiger ones. I weighed both sets at the local post office as I have no scale here at home.

Jetplaneflyer, what do you suggest for a battery "c" rating 35c or 45c...? and should I use the 9T pin gear instead of the 10T gear...?
Last edited by FG; Nov 02, 2017 at 09:26 AM.
Sep 23, 2017, 05:25 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
I'd start with the 10t pinion. C rating depends on brand so it's hard to make a firm recommendation, personally I go with minimum of 40c but for easy flying lower will probably be fine.
Sep 23, 2017, 07:48 PM
FG
FG
Hm. 40c you say eh...hm, sounds good to me. I mean I like to fly...and zip around once and awhile too. I defiantly won't be flying this puppy around the sky like I do with my 450. SSccaarryy. lol. Ya I'll start with the 10T and see what kind of run time I get, but I think that may give me the target I'm looking for. Doesnt hurt to try right...? I think the castle Ecalc thingy is flawed and not accurate IMO, cause the runryder thread tells a different tale as it has been tried and is being used in this configuration with good results.
Nov 05, 2017, 07:17 PM
FG
FG
Sorry bout the slow progress folks but as we all know it takes money to accomplish our lofty Heli goals. Anyway I just bought one of these from this RunRyder member to lighten it up some more.

https://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t.../?p=6673680#RR

Does anybody know where I can get a CF frame to make it really light...?

FG
Nov 06, 2017, 12:58 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
The Thundertiger Titan X50e uses carbon frames, but there is no cost effective way to upgrade, you are talking about a whole new heli. You can pick up X50e airframes very cheap though.