Oct 18, 2017, 09:48 AM
Thread OP
Ended up getting myself som foam from hobbyking;. i wanted to make 2 spares but was running out of the weststuff so though for the same price id be spending at hobbycraft i would be getting a better deal from HK. 4 sheets of A1 foam board for 10 GBP versus 20 sheets of 500x700mm foam sheet for 10gbp plus 5 postage( also got some carbon rod and clevis aswell)

Finaly finished the 3rd mini arrow. Just needs control horns added and they will be ready for quick changeover if a wing breaks. Just rip out reciever and serovs pull out powerpod and fit to new wing. 15 minutes jobn

Name: IMG_20171018_130212.jpg
Views: 21
Size: 474.6 KB
Description:
Name: IMG-20171012-WA0004.jpeg
Views: 22
Size: 702.9 KB
Description:
Name: IMG-20171011-WA0007.jpeg
Views: 23
Size: 519.6 KB
Description:
to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2017, 04:12 AM
Thread OP
Just had a graet flight with my arrow!!!! In the wind aswell :-)

I decided to check the spanwise CG as 1 side should be heavier than the other. To keep things neat and make sure my reciever is solidly mounted i put it in 1 of the wings, also i dont have any tools for crimping servo connectors so theres excess servo cabling from the servo extennsions. from memory i think the receiver is around 8g plus the wiring so easily 10g weight on 1 side.

after many tests settled on a 1 penny piece taped to the end of 1 wing.

Also dialed in some expo.

Also discovered that it may be possible to calibrated the simonk ESC. I got annoyed with the massive dead spot in my throttle. turns out the motor doesnt turn on till -46! thats 54 points of deadband.

So tried to calibarted with the throttle end point set to 150 on the positve side and the negitive to -100. IT WORKED, tested full throttle the motor went full throttle, stopped and started doing weird music. I guess it does not like that much positive throttle so put it back to +100>

Test flight was great, wing seemed more stable with the wing weight, still needs few more clicks down elevator! maybe i can move the CG back a touch
Oct 26, 2017, 03:03 AM
Thread OP
More successfull flights with the mini arrow this time in 5mph and less breeze. So much fun was able to do big wide circles at 3/4 throttle. this little thing is pretty fast in no winds!!!

Took it up super high kill the throttle and let it stall turn round and then pull back on the stick to pull up :-)

If you want a flying wing thats mid sized, has decent speed and works this is one of them. Build it as per the plan and balance it exactly as a starting point! It should fly with minimal trim.

Its not so picky about weight either, i had this also flying in a heavier form using heavier foamboard coming in at 350g AUP. The one im currently flying i think is sitting at 270g and the spares i built using HK foam i recken will dip below 250.

The 270g one flies well and will come in for landing nice and slow, i even aborted a landing less than a foot off the ground as it was going to go past me and wasnt wanting to land like that, just wahcked on the power and away it went.

Im out to fly today with my GF whos going to film so hopefully ill have some edited footage up soon
Oct 26, 2017, 06:05 PM
Thread OP
Flitetest Mini Arrow in Kent (1 min 31 sec)

quick flight otday
Oct 26, 2017, 06:32 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Good job !
Nov 18, 2017, 09:50 PM
Thread OP
Killed my mini arrow after playing around with half rolls lost orientation and nosed it into the runaway, its always thse damn runaway. If oen of my planes is going to come down, its on the small hard part of the field ....

Despite crushing the nose, and the glue seam along 1 side of the centre section brekaing, it still flew fine. thansk the the fibre tape reinforccements that are holding the wing toghet.

I have 2 spare frames waiting, these are lighter than this one so will be interesting to see how they fly
Jan 16, 2018, 05:51 AM
Thanks for all the info you have posted here Bazsound, it's nice to see it all come together in the end.
Feb 17, 2018, 10:04 PM

Foam wings for FT Mini Arrow

A buddy (Mike) got bitten by the desire to cut foam and build a Mini Arrow, sure didn't take a lot to get me interested too. Andrew Newton's blog posts and videos have been very informative, big thanks!

Anyways... we built a foam cutter ~30" wide, 26 gauge nichrome wire, powered by an 11 pound transformer I had lying around from a Williams pinball machine I gutted ~35 years back, input voltage controlled by a dimmer switch...... we get a nice ~25volts at ~3.7amps and the wire is glowing a little, slices-like-thru-butter! Scared to raise it to 100%!

We realized by thinning the wing down a bit we can cut 2 layers (2 wings) out of the 2-1/8" thick foam bought from Lowe's. So 1 sheet, 4' by 8', will yield 27 full planes, or roughly $1.35 per plane for the foam. Picture below shows 2 wings, and the "web" of scrap that separated the 2 wings, the cutter, etc.

2 wings are mostly built, just waiting on motors/ESC's and other bits from a few different suppliers, and we'll see how they fly. Obviously we have PLENTY of spare foam, good thing as we'll be chewing these up with LOS and FPV combat and follow-the-leader flights....

This ought to be fun!
Last edited by kross1; Feb 27, 2018 at 08:37 PM.
Feb 27, 2018, 09:02 PM
So, we test flew the first 2 hot-cut foam wings (see previous post) and they flew great! These were cut using the wing templates exactly as Andrew Newton has provided.

Both required some basic trimming and handled really well, but we only flew each for 5 minutes or so due to time constraints and it was getting late.

We had differences in our models, I think as follows:

Me:
3S 1300 45C pack, APC 7x4E prop, BR2306S 2,700KV motor

Mike:
3S 1350 pack (from Radian), Gemfan 6x4 bullnose prop, 2,300 KV motor

BIG difference in performance, with the faster motor and larger prop mine was a rocket with unlimited vertical.

We need to get back out and finish the trimming, and test other prop/motor combinations to see what happens.

We have cut more wings using thinner profile templates, so we can get the pair of wings out of 1 foam block 2 1/8" thick, effectively doubling the number of planes we get out of the 4' x 8' foam sheet.

Since these are ~1/8" thinner they may be more delicate, we'll see....
Mar 13, 2019, 09:58 AM
FPV FT Mini Arrow konvoi | rc flyingwing (pesawat) gabus terbang bareng gendong kamera HD (5 min 4 sec)

Have some fun with ft mini arrow

Quick Reply