flitetest mini arrow - Page 3 - RC Groups
Oct 10, 2017, 01:02 PM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound

Anyway decided to look at throttle endpoints, increased from 120 to 140 and there was a definate increas in RPM.

it :-0
That should not increase your RPM. If it does you have not calibrated your ESC correctly.......

I would definitely look at that before I proceed.

Paul

to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2017, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB
That should not increase your RPM. If it does you have not calibrated your ESC correctly.......

I would definitely look at that before I proceed.

Paul

readback to the mention of Simonk ESC.

SimonK esc's are esc's aimed at drone users who for some strange reason need minimal features so they can hve finer throttle resolution (not sure how exactly this effects throttle resoluition) but anyuway. simonk ESC are
programmed with minimal features
So this ESC cannot be calibrated its not been programmed to do so. Theres a deadzone, the first cm or so of stick travel does nothing, so i guess theres some weird;l
Oct 10, 2017, 01:53 PM
Lifetime Member
I will offer my suggestion once again to replace the ESC with a non-drone type ESC. You should have full throttle at 100% travel, not 120% or 140%.
Oct 10, 2017, 02:13 PM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Well, I recently flashed 2 ESC's with SimonK for use in my VTOL ( https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...opter-Test-Bed )

so that I was getting the faster response and defiantly HAD to calibrate them as in that application (Bi Copter) it is imperative that both ESC's run together.

Hummmmmmm.

Paul
Oct 10, 2017, 02:15 PM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
I know that there are various versions of SimonK but there are loads and loads of videos on YouTube about calibrating the throttle n SimonK, are you sure that you can't calibrate yours?? Tried it?

Paul
Oct 10, 2017, 02:19 PM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Or do what John said for like 8 GBP (no pound sign on this keyboard!!!).
Oct 10, 2017, 02:26 PM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Or, buy a new cheap (blue) HK ESC (blue because you can flash them), flash it to SimonK but just plug your ESC into a 2 position switch and crank the throw up to as far as it will go, flick switch and pray
Oct 10, 2017, 03:15 PM
Can we please stop litering my thread with back and forth this and that esc.

My esc cannot be calibrated, end of. try and calibrate it and you have a motor bursting into life.

Enough discoussion abiout ESC. This is the esc i have. End of
Oct 10, 2017, 03:45 PM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
'nough said.
Oct 11, 2017, 08:16 AM
Definat speed increase. although still not blazingly fast but i am running the recomended motor/prop for slower fpv flight.

Unfortunatly i broke the wing today was all going great about a few minutes from landing i pulled a really tight turn the wing turned towards the ground and would pull up even with full up elevator. I dunno if the servos just couldnt or if something flexed, or maybe a servo came loose.

It hit the runaway nose first at the flying flied and tore half the wing off right through the spar! didnt even fold although some of the glue let go on one side of the wing.

So i need to build a new one. ive got wing tape so going to make one with both sides of the paper removed and wing tape on 1 side. This should make a much stronger and lighter wing. I also have filimant tape to reinforce the ailerons (suggestion from Hai Lie over at flite test as he found th elevons to flex under high loads)
Oct 11, 2017, 03:16 PM
good news!!! I just about finished up my new mini arrow. Both sides of the paper removed from the foamboard and 1 side replaced with coloured packing tape. Its quite a bit of work but its gotten me to the target weight of the build! 270g with 1000mah 3s battery!

Ive still to add vertical stabiliser so that will add a bit of weight but shouldnt be too much. Saved about 50g of weight. I left the paper on the wing spars so i could have probably saved a little weight there aswell.

theres still more weight to be shaved off though as im using a 30A ESC. it is advertised to weigh 20g. there are 15A ESC's that weight as less then 10g.

The build is still not as symetrical as id like.. one of the wing spars was slightly different and that showed when the 2 wings went together, the back end at the middle 1 side was sitting higher than the other, had to glue it in place to match the other side.

6 hours from plans to almost finished. not too bad.
Oct 11, 2017, 03:43 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Do you plug the battery in with the throttle on full to calibrate the esc?

A good motor size to shoot for is about 10% of the flying weight. A 350gram plane would be a 35 gram motor.
Oct 11, 2017, 06:05 PM
mini arrow v1 broken.

v2 almost finished :-)
Oct 12, 2017, 01:39 PM
Did the same thing again!

it was a little windy but not too windy6 you couldnt fly around. first launch the plane rolled over inverted and did a little bounce. 2nd launch was better, however the wing was climbing badly with no trim, i landed and moved the battery back which helped but i still had to dial in a little down elevator.

flew around for 3 or 4 minutes, didnt feel right but it was quite windy when all of a suddnely i was nose down and only 15 feet of the ground. I chopped the power and it fell onto its nose.

I was flying on soggy wet grass. Where it had landed was water logged, so hey great nice soft landing spot.

Broke the damn wing! this time closer to the electronics cabin, another wing for the bin....
Oct 14, 2017, 02:53 PM
V3 is now ready for maiden.

Think i fugred out what caused V2 to fail on the first crash, no hot glue in the leading edge hinge, guess what did it in V3 but i rad filament tape on the leading edge. also used filament tape on the rear part besides the firewall as tjhis seem to area it tears in.

fixed control surface slop, instgead of slppping a massive 2-3cm on one side its down to 3-4mm