This thread is privately moderated by Ssayer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 09, 2017, 08:11 AM
Oldie, not Moldie
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Eachine E56 720P WiFi Quad

I received the Eachine E56 from Banggood for testing and review. https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-E56...p-1187787.html

Name: E56.jpg
Views: 94
Size: 373.1 KB
Description:

There are already a number of reviews on this, so once again, I'll limit my review to mainly observations and opinions.

To me, at the same time, it is both innovative and a novelty. It's new, so the app is still having some growing pains, but they seem to be getting there. In it's current incantation, it works fine on my Samsung Galaxy S5, but merely loads onto my tablets and errors out immediately when I attempt to launch it. I'm presuming that it needs a minimum Android version that is higher than my old(er) tablets which (if this is the reason) they should state in their description, but I can't say for sure.

If you want video, you need to use the Android device (or Apple, I guess ). If you want to control with the remote controller and view with the Android device, you need to do it in this order:
1. Turn on quad
2. Turn on and pair remote control
3. Change WiFi network on Android device to the quad
4. Run App on Android device
5. Play
If you connect with the Android device first, then it won't pair with the remote control (at least with my device).
Obviously, you can both view video and use the Android device for control, I just like to check out all the options. Also, I prefer their Remote Controller as it's the "fun" part of this quad.

Flight time, I get between 6 and 7 minutes, so with it being rated at 7 it's about what they indicate.

Range, I've tried a number of different locations outside now, and mine seems to lose it at pretty much exactly 60m with the Remote Controller (they claim 80-100m). When it loses it, the quad takes six or seven seconds to figure it out, so be aware. Even though I'd already tested that part out, the first time I did the range test, it caught me off guard some with that (as I was expecting 80m anyway, but I was in the wide open area of my yard so that wasn't an issue. Interestingly enough, though they state that the FPV signal on the app is only 30-50m, I also got that to 60m with no problem. One thing to watch out for with the App, when you get out there to the end of range and the quad loses signal, both control and video are done. The only way to get them back is to restart both the quad and the app.

What do I like about it? It is fun to fly with their remote controller. That point alone makes it a "look what I have" thing for showing off to family and friends. I think that it's the Remote Controller that is going to drive sales on this as it's (so far?) unique. The Remote Controller with gravity sensor works well. I have a similar type that I use for my VR glasses, so switching to the one for this quad was pretty easy. The altitude hold works great. It has three speeds. For me, I'm happiest with the fastest setting as the others just don't have it manuevering quickly enough to steer around objects with speed for me. While not being the fastest quad on the block, it still zips nicely. It does headless mode, which for the first few flights you might find worth using (until you get the hang of the remote controller). Also, doing headless for the newby or occasional flyer (I'm thinking that this was more or less designed for that person) isn't that bad an idea. The app works well on the one device that I can test it on. If you aren't in a tight flying area, you can even view it in your VR glasses (it has an icon for that and it works). The app can do both gyro and joystick. It'll do the flip and roll thing. It takes videos and pictures. It has fold-able arms and has it's own travel case (and it's very nice!).

What do I dislike about it? Here is the biggie. It's being marketed as an FPV quad but... though the controls don't lag with the app, the connection is WiFi, so the FPV video is laggy. I get anywhere from say, a tenth of a second all the way up to around 3 seconds. Maybe you can fly this FPV in your house or small yard with that, but at my house... my wife has a ton of nick-knacks around and with a laggy quad, some of them just aren't going to survive fpv'ing in their vicinity. Also the virtual joysticks are locked in position like my old Walkera W100S. So, you have to make sure that you position your thumbs properly. Hubsan did a real good job with the virtual joysticks on their app allowing you to put your thumbs wherever and the virtual joysticks center themselves on your thumbs when they first make contact.

Had it been marketed as a LOS quad that has live video plus video and picture recording, my major dislike (lag) would have been a moot point. Also, don't get me wrong, for a quad this price and size, the pics and videos are definitely decent. Moreover, it flies very well LOS. But... it is marketed as an FPV quad...

I'll add to and update my review as things change (after all, it is a new quad).

As always these are merely my observations and opinions. They're worth every penny that you paid for them...
Last edited by Ssayer; Sep 10, 2017 at 06:44 PM. Reason: updates
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply