GAIA 160-Hybrid 2nd Sea Bay Crossing Mission - RC Groups

GAIA 160-Hybrid 2nd Sea Bay Crossing Mission

Foxtech is at it again. Read on to learn about their 2nd attempt to cross the Sea Bay with multirotor!

Splash

Foxtech 2nd Sea Bay Crossing Mission

From Foxtech

Foxtech will fly[URL="https://www.foxtechfpv.com/gaia-160-hybrid-hexacopter-arf-combo.html[/URL] again. This time the mission is 100km due to sea area traffic control. To complete this mission there are several upgraded for GAIA 160-Hybrid.

• Landing gear with wider opening
  • DJI MATE and 900M datalink - survey , missions, waypoints etc.
  • Fuel tank is 6.5L - 4 hours plus flight time

Second Report: Upgrade details on GAIA 160-Hybrid for 2nd Sea bay crossing Mission (5 min 42 sec)

One more feature was added on the drone, which can ensure safety for customers who load expensive cameras or professional instruments. That is parachute system. The one in the video is 20kg parachute.

FOXTECH GAIA 160-Hybrid hexacopter is a long flight time hexacopter equipped with gasoline-electric hybrid power system. GAIA 160-Hybrid is made of carbon fiber material so it is very sturdy. The arms are plugable, which saves more space and makes this drone convenient for storage and transportation. FOXTECH GAIA 160-Hybrid is also equipped with a durable landing gear to ensure a stable landing.

FOXTECH GAIA 160-Hybrid hexacopter is equipped with high efficient power system, including T-MOTOR U8II KV85 motor, Supreme 2880T propeller and T-MOTOR Flame 60A ESC. This power system ensures very big loading capacity and a very stable flight performance. GAIA 160-Hybrid has 6.5kg lifting capacity on each arm, so GAIA 160-Hybrid can still fly even with one motor failure. The biggest bright spot is that Foxtech GAIA 160-Hybrid hexacopter has an onboard 2000w generator that offers plenty of power to the 6 very high efficiency motors to ensure a long flight time. With 2kg payload, the flight time is more than 5 hours, and with 5kg payload like a high-end camera, the flight time will be still more than 2 hours. An internal combustion engine consumes gasoline and spins a generator to ensure a 48V output. Besides this, a 12S lipo battery package is also installed onboard to offer emergency back-up power for quick climbing and quick maneuvering.

GAIA 160-Hybrid Hexacopter is also installed with redundancy flight controllers, three GPS and a full range of optional equipments like RTK GPS, 20km datalink,parachute, secondary radio control and more to make this drone very reliable and very safe.

FOXTECH GAIA 160-Hybrid power quadcopter is a high-quality flying platform. A longer flight time coupled with good stability opens a wide range of new commercial possibilities for businesses such as inspection of offshore platforms, search and rescue, power line inspection and survey etc.

Sep 10, 2017, 07:44 AM
I wonder how something like this would go with mustering. I've seen people try and use quadcopter but they're never big and loud which this looks like it is. Pair it with a high powered hd vtx and I'm sure it'd work. Could add a aux flir cam to quickly find the cattle/stock amongst the trees then switch over and get them out. My father recently purchased a cattle station and eventually I'd love to have a go at using drones for atleast some aspects of running the station, even if just to map it. Im sure you'd be able to do stock counting using a flir camera recording onto sd for better quality.
Sep 11, 2017, 04:45 PM
Wisconsin
Congratulations FoxtechFpv in successfully completing your attempt at 100km continuous flight!!!
Latest blog entry: Index to Articles
Sep 14, 2017, 01:14 PM
I stop paying attention to RC crafts for a few years and then this happens!!

WOW!!! AMAZING!!! A lightweight Hybrid Copter, never would have thought of that...
Sep 14, 2017, 03:35 PM
I'm wondering if the DJI controller geo-fencing will allow you to fly over your planned route? I believe the TBS Cross-fire can go that far as well without needing an excessively high powered transmitter. From memory it can go automatically go up to 2W if required. The video setup may be interesting, a good quality high gain antenna would be needed and clearly it couldn't be HD or 720p at that distance? An electric generator makes sense, petrol is more energy dense than Lipo batteries which are very poor in comparison. All Chinese electronics as well by the looks of it. I'm amazed the Chinese authorities have permitted this, havn't they been clamping down on drone use? You may need to attach some decoys in case the Chinese People's Liberation Army tries to shoot it down.
Sep 14, 2017, 08:07 PM

That loiter capacity looks mighty useful for journalism.
How much do you want for one?
Sep 14, 2017, 08:53 PM

Re: 2000w generator

They don't say how much this thing weights but a quick search shows the lightest 2000w generator weighs over 40 lbs. That could probably be stripped down to weigh around 30 lbs. but that's still a lot of weight when you add the battery, frame, and accessories for these motors to lift. Hats off if they managed to get this 'copter to fly.
Sep 15, 2017, 12:02 AM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallabat

There is more info on their blog:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=193081
Latest blog entry: Index to Articles
Oct 18, 2017, 03:19 AM
[QUOTE=ESCape_;38257294]I wonder how something like this would go with mustering. I've seen people try and use quadcopter but they're never big and loud which this looks like it is. Pair it with a high powered hd vtx and I'm sure it'd work. Could add a aux flir cam to quickly find the cattle/stock amongst the trees then switch over and get them out. My father recently purchased a cattle station and eventually I'd love to have a go at using drones for atleast some aspects of running the station, even if just to map it. Im sure you'd be able to do stock counting using a flir camera recording onto sd for better quality.

================================================== ==============================================
GAIA hybrid eauipped with a FH312-IR Night Vision 12X Optical Zoom Camera can moniter the cattle station. the night vision camera and gimbal is 1.2kg. The flight time will reach about 3 hours for GAIA hybrid.
Oct 18, 2017, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly
Congratulations FoxtechFpv in successfully completing your attempt at 100km continuous flight!!!
thanks
Oct 18, 2017, 03:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcobra
I stop paying attention to RC crafts for a few years and then this happens!!

WOW!!! AMAZING!!! A lightweight Hybrid Copter, never would have thought of that...
welcome back to RC!
Oct 18, 2017, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewjw
I'm wondering if the DJI controller geo-fencing will allow you to fly over your planned route? I believe the TBS Cross-fire can go that far as well without needing an excessively high powered transmitter. From memory it can go automatically go up to 2W if required. The video setup may be interesting, a good quality high gain antenna would be needed and clearly it couldn't be HD or 720p at that distance? An electric generator makes sense, petrol is more energy dense than Lipo batteries which are very poor in comparison. All Chinese electronics as well by the looks of it. I'm amazed the Chinese authorities have permitted this, havn't they been clamping down on drone use? You may need to attach some decoys in case the Chinese People's Liberation Army tries to shoot it down.
If you followed Foxtech sea crossing flight from the beginning, you will know that we flied twice to make it happen.
In the first flight mission, foxtech enginners planned about 80 waypoints while the second morning, they find out, there is range limit for the A3 pro.
Then we came back,. and add a range limit remove moduel in it. Then we compete the sea crossing mission on the second flight.
Oct 18, 2017, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swallabat

Here is product page: https://www.foxtechfpv.com/gaia-160-...arf-combo.html
For any technical support or purchasing you can email : carrie@foxtechfpv.com