Quick one. - RC Groups
Sep 06, 2017, 07:41 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
Discussion

Quick one.

Quick to build, haven't flown it yet. Next day or so I hope. At 15.9oz and 170w, it should fly. See how the maiden goes and if there is any interest I will post more info.

Last edited by BHOFM; Sep 06, 2017 at 07:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2017, 08:57 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
I like it!
Looks like you will be scooping air in, so where does it come out?
Sep 06, 2017, 09:57 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
Holes in the motor mount. Several holes to get air to the top part of the fuselage.
I have several planes with this type fuselage and smaller air inlets and have no heat
problems. Systems are not stressed that much.

Sep 07, 2017, 05:35 AM
When pigs fly rc
Plans please looks great
Sep 07, 2017, 06:39 AM
Multirotor Enthusiast

Ok, I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOFM

Ok, I am really liking the lines on this! I'm really looking forward to a video of the maiden flight.

Anyone else look at the nose and think that it looks like a super sonic goose!
Sep 07, 2017, 01:17 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
burkefj ( here on RCG ) does a lot of similar type planes , as pusher prop ..... or rocket launch glider :

Dynasoar Rocketry Stratodart RC rocket boosted glider 4+ minute flight (4 min 27 sec)

Here's his blog page :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=118173
Sep 07, 2017, 08:21 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
Total disaster. Aircraft is destroyed. Video camera battery went south, video corrupt.

Underpowered and too much wind. Will consider a few things before making a decision
about a second build.
Sep 07, 2017, 09:06 PM
As a young teenager I consistently destroyed models by trying to test fly in windy conditions.
As an old man I have found it's best to wait for perfect conditions for the test flight.
That way the tests are meaningful and the models come home in one piece.
Sep 07, 2017, 09:09 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
If it had the power I was expecting it would have been fine I think. I have the same setup on a
couple planes of the same weight and they are hot. I think the air frame has a lot of drag.
Sep 07, 2017, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOFM
If it had the power I was expecting it would have been fine I think. I have the same setup on a
couple planes of the same weight and they are hot. I think the air frame has a lot of drag.
That was on my mind when I asked about the big air inlet and the small air outlet.
Sep 08, 2017, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers
As a young teenager I consistently destroyed models by trying to test fly in windy conditions.
As an old man I have found it's best to wait for perfect conditions for the test flight.
That way the tests are meaningful and the models come home in one piece.
This was the problem i initially had with my cardboard yakk 55, the wind masked the real problem as well as made it really hard to actually fly.
Sep 08, 2017, 02:25 AM
Yup! You have no way of knowing if weird flight is due to turbulence or to faulty design or rigging.
And that's not testing.
Actually it was testing in another sense. It sure used to test my ability to handle disappointment and frustration.
Sep 08, 2017, 04:12 AM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Just one small question,

"As an old man I have found it's best to wait for perfect conditions for the test flight."

So have I, but how do you stop yourself from trying to fly anyway when you are just burning to try the latest creation???? I know that I can't!!!!
Sep 08, 2017, 05:04 AM
Kimbers Keeper.
The actual flight was fine. No surprises. Just lack of power. Need to keep the nose high and
power on just up to touch down. Nose dropped, nose hit,, rolled left, folded wings.

If I don't test in the wind, I could wait months.
Sep 08, 2017, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB
Just one small question,

"As an old man I have found it's best to wait for perfect conditions for the test flight."

So have I, but how do you stop yourself from trying to fly anyway when you are just burning to try the latest creation???? I know that I can't!!!!
Self control.
It's taken many years, but now I can easily control a rash impulse.
Mostly at dawn the wind is almost zero at ground level, and remains that way until the sun starts thermal activity to mix the static surface air with the moving upper air.
I've convinced quite a few people to fly the Dawn Patrol. It's a magic time of day.